By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo's gamer strategy and why they could take it all this next gen

Michael-5 said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Michael-5 said:

I don't know if PS4 sales and NExtBox sales will be smaller then PS3 and 360 sales respectively. The gaming industry is growing. If you combine Wii/PS3/360 sales this gen you're going to be looking at over 250 million consoles sold. Last gen it was under 200 million, and the gen before that was about 150 million. However if PS4/NextBox sales don't grow over PS360 sales, and Wii U sales grow (stronger software support means prolonged hardware sales, just like the PS2) then Nintendo will have a larger share and do better.

Also how many Japanese developer fans are there outside of Japan? Japanese console games never sell well, Lost Odyssey and XenoBlade didn't even break 1 million despite being two of the best RPG's this gen, but games like Mass Effect, FallOut and Elder Scrolls sell in excess of 3 million on the 360 alone. Also games like Vanquish, Bayonetta, and Catherine just don't do that well either.

However if Wii U can get a good 3rd party support backing, and somehow convince CoD fans to switch over...then this could steal the non loyal fans of MS and Sony, just like PS1 did to SNES.

Well I have a theory behind that growth, part of it is the mainsteam demographic, the other part is a combination of owners who own multiple consoles because of various reasons, failures being a big issue, other being people who own PS3/Wii or 360/Wii cause it rounds out the game library, if the Wii U fulfills the needs of both demographics it cuts out the need for a second console for example, so we might see console sales go down, but it's not actually reflecting the number of gamers out there.

On the other hand bringing more mainstream casual gamers into the core fold means they could invest in other consoles because they want to get more into the hobby.  So I see the industry maybe even growing but I don't see console hardware going up per se, though I respect the view that it really could.

Maybe, but if that's true, then next gen even more people will own multiple consoles. After all if PS3/Wii or 360/Wii rounds the library better then PS2/GCN or PS2/XB, then..... However PS1/N64 had a pretty complete library, no one cared for Sega.

I Don't think Wii U will eliminate the need for a second console because just like the Wii - PS360 and the GCN/XB - PS2 and the PS1 - N64 before it, the Wii U is looking to be a lot different then the PS4 (which looks to be more traditional) and the NextBox. Not everyone is going to want two screens, I mean look at DS vs. PSP, PSP still sold decently well and has its own unique share of games.

Going with the PSP analogy, PSP had a real cut of the Japanese developers due to Monster Hunter creating a strong base in Japan, this kept gamers like me interested in PSP cause we love Monster Hunter and PSP got a few Japanese games DS didn't because of the drastic difference in hardware power.  That's what kept that system selling... that and free games and being the best emulator machine in the market lol Vita lacks that appeal.

Wii U and 3DS are poised however to take Japan flat out, which is a shame for competition but like I brought up there are those Japanese game fans in the west that might be forced into getting a Wii U as a result instead of going PS3/Wii like this gen.  But what I mean by possibly no need for a second console, cause if it's traditional controls you want, Wii U offers that, if it's motion controls, Wii U offers that, if you want to use your old controllers on Wii U? They got you covered, just like Black Ops 2 plays on Wii U with all the set ups so could PS4 multiplats that are traditional, thus it makes the need for a PS4 go down.  Which is the point of my thread, if this console holds the traditional and the casual gamers, why go for one that only offers traditional?  If they go for both markets too what sets the PS4 apart from the Wii U? 

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network
Squilliam said:

Nintendo could on the other hand be blindsided by a mixture of their own strategy, circumstances outside of the console industry and competing consoles. The Wii U may share most of the same name as the Wii, however the circumstances around the launch are completely different. With the Wii you could easily pay $299-$349 and leave the store with a game system which was both immediately accessible and fully tricked out with 2-3 games and a couple of controllers. It was the perfect mixture of cheap, fun and accessibility whilst also having the advantage of being significantly cheaper out the door and completely different to its' competitors.

The Wii U will have name recognition and 3rd party support with the first mover advantage, however it probably won't share any other advantages the Wii got when it was released. Out the door the Wii U feels about $100more expensive than the Wii was at launch given the fact that there is no Wii Sports with the basic pack and Nintendo land is no Wii Sports replacement. The Wii U probably won't be this Christmas' hottest gift and the people lining up for launch won't be converts, they'll be the converted.

Nintendo has significantly more competition this time around and the features/trade-offs don't really make nearly as much sense. So you can sit down with the Wii U tablet and browse the net? Yep but you can do that with a smart-phone or tablet and these are also compatible with the Xbox 360's Smart-Glass. You also pay a significant cost in terms of price for something which is much heavier than a normal controller and has much less battery life which duplicates technology you likely already own, especially if you're the kind of person who is an early adopter.

Nintendo has a great lineup of first party talent, however pleasing people after their having spent 10-15 years without a Nintendo home console with old familiar favourites and magical new I.P. is easier when that old I.P. feels fresh and the new I.P. isn't moving into sequel territory. Getting back to the fresh innovative feeling gets more difficult because innovation becomes harder to achieve every time you go through another release cycle. All the first party talent in the world doesis partially nullified by the huge lock-in with both the Xbox 360 and PS3's online ecosystems when Nintendo is effectively starting from 0. When your friends are staying with a competing console you can't play with them if you're on the Wii U.

I'm not all doom and gloom (lol). The Nintendo Wii U is certainly in a strong position because of who they are and where they've been with the Wii. They have a strong sales potential just as the PS3 entered into this generation with fantastic potential as well. I expect 20M people will buy the Wii U because they expect some of their favourite titles to be on that system, the same as the PS3 effect this generation. I expect the Wii U is a 60M selling system at heart which will go up depending on their actions as well as competitors and likewise can go downwards for similar reasons.

When you're not taking the piss you provide some good insights into possible futures.

Me personally I think PS3 is possibly the low-tide mark for the Playstation home console. Meaning the all things being equal sales potential for PS4 is also 60M. That's Playstation's base. Does Has Xbox grabbed a 60M base too? I don't know, it's hard to gauge Xbox's base with only 2 entries in the console race and vastly different results. I suspect Xbox does have a 60M base too. So I reckon the first 180 million consoles are already pretty much sold, it's just a matter of when. It's who gets to claim the lion's share of the other 70-100 million potential sales that will determine the dominant player this gen.

It's simply not tennable that Wii U will dominate like PS2. There's no one who will grab >50% market share because all the brands are strong. At least not unless one of the them shoots themselves in the foot. Basically, it's everyone's generation to lose. Each comany's performance will be significantly determined by the mistakes they make. Is Sony and MS's first and most significant mistake giving Ninendo a year head start? We'll see I guess.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I think people really underestimate how much of Wii's near 100mils are actually "casual" gamers who bought it, played it for a while and never looked back at gaming again or moved to another casual platform. So, IMO, though Wii did expand console market, lot of that expansion is pretty much unstable, so what could really happen in next gen is that we actually see smaller install base than in this one, with some significant loyalty shifts in user bases.

@binary_solo: I don't think the PS base is anywhere near 60m, nor is Xbox's. They both had one very good selling point this gen: HD graphics. That and they had great 3rd party support. That's what sold the system to close to 70m gamers. If Nintendo only has a 20m base, do you really think PS360 has 60m each? No. =)

OP: I agree that if Nintendo plays this gen right, and the other two mess up Nintendo will win. If all consoles will have the same 3rd party support (which I think they'll have - see my sig for further info) I think there's a big chance of WiiU winning this gen.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Hm, not absolutely certain for Xbox, but I'd say PS3 user base is potentially quite over 60mils - PS2 sale figures have shown how long tail Sony's console can have, and I don't see it being any different with PS3. And since both consoles are more or less equally powerful they got mostly the same 3rd party support, unlike Wii. That said, while Wii U is without a doubt more powerful than PS360, if those new engines demos are glimpse into what X720/PS4 are striving to achieve I don't see many major developers giving Wii U much support down the line. Unity 4 is nice move from Nintendo though, they will probably get much love from indie/small developers...

Around the Network
HoloDust said:
Hm, not absolutely certain for Xbox, but I'd say PS3 user base is potentially quite over 60mils - PS2 sale figures have shown how long tail Sony's console can have, and I don't see it being any different with PS3. And since both consoles are more or less equally powerful they got mostly the same 3rd party support, unlike Wii. That said, while Wii U is without a doubt more powerful than PS360, if those new engines demos are glimpse into what X720/PS4 are striving to achieve I don't see many major developers giving Wii U much support down the line. Unity 4 is nice move from Nintendo though, they will probably get much love from indie/small developers...

Well, it's no secret that PS1's success was closely tied to them getting superior 3rd party support - and the same goes for PS2. It's all 3rd party support. If it actually were the PS brand and it's 1sr party games people wanted, wouldn't it reflect onthe amount of sold 1st party games? And it does. Very few buys PS for the 1st party support - they bought this brand because of the 3rd party support. And what happens when a second console gets the same amount of 3rd party support? Well, you knw what happens. Could PS survive only on it's 1st party line up? Probably not.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

binary solo said:
Squilliam said:

Nintendo could on the other hand be blindsided by a mixture of their own strategy, circumstances outside of the console industry and competing consoles. The Wii U may share most of the same name as the Wii, however the circumstances around the launch are completely different. With the Wii you could easily pay $299-$349 and leave the store with a game system which was both immediately accessible and fully tricked out with 2-3 games and a couple of controllers. It was the perfect mixture of cheap, fun and accessibility whilst also having the advantage of being significantly cheaper out the door and completely different to its' competitors.

The Wii U will have name recognition and 3rd party support with the first mover advantage, however it probably won't share any other advantages the Wii got when it was released. Out the door the Wii U feels about $100more expensive than the Wii was at launch given the fact that there is no Wii Sports with the basic pack and Nintendo land is no Wii Sports replacement. The Wii U probably won't be this Christmas' hottest gift and the people lining up for launch won't be converts, they'll be the converted.

Nintendo has significantly more competition this time around and the features/trade-offs don't really make nearly as much sense. So you can sit down with the Wii U tablet and browse the net? Yep but you can do that with a smart-phone or tablet and these are also compatible with the Xbox 360's Smart-Glass. You also pay a significant cost in terms of price for something which is much heavier than a normal controller and has much less battery life which duplicates technology you likely already own, especially if you're the kind of person who is an early adopter.

Nintendo has a great lineup of first party talent, however pleasing people after their having spent 10-15 years without a Nintendo home console with old familiar favourites and magical new I.P. is easier when that old I.P. feels fresh and the new I.P. isn't moving into sequel territory. Getting back to the fresh innovative feeling gets more difficult because innovation becomes harder to achieve every time you go through another release cycle. All the first party talent in the world doesis partially nullified by the huge lock-in with both the Xbox 360 and PS3's online ecosystems when Nintendo is effectively starting from 0. When your friends are staying with a competing console you can't play with them if you're on the Wii U.

I'm not all doom and gloom (lol). The Nintendo Wii U is certainly in a strong position because of who they are and where they've been with the Wii. They have a strong sales potential just as the PS3 entered into this generation with fantastic potential as well. I expect 20M people will buy the Wii U because they expect some of their favourite titles to be on that system, the same as the PS3 effect this generation. I expect the Wii U is a 60M selling system at heart which will go up depending on their actions as well as competitors and likewise can go downwards for similar reasons.

When you're not taking the piss you provide some good insights into possible futures.

Me personally I think PS3 is possibly the low-tide mark for the Playstation home console. Meaning the all things being equal sales potential for PS4 is also 60M. That's Playstation's base. Does Has Xbox grabbed a 60M base too? I don't know, it's hard to gauge Xbox's base with only 2 entries in the console race and vastly different results. I suspect Xbox does have a 60M base too. So I reckon the first 180 million consoles are already pretty much sold, it's just a matter of when. It's who gets to claim the lion's share of the other 70-100 million potential sales that will determine the dominant player this gen.

It's simply not tennable that Wii U will dominate like PS2. There's no one who will grab >50% market share because all the brands are strong. At least not unless one of the them shoots themselves in the foot. Basically, it's everyone's generation to lose. Each comany's performance will be significantly determined by the mistakes they make. Is Sony and MS's first and most significant mistake giving Ninendo a year head start? We'll see I guess.

The main issue for the next generation is the fact that you'll have 3 distinct consoles with not enough unique content for most people to justify owning more than one which aren't interoperateable in terms of networks or games. It would be different if you bought say Call of Duty and you played against anyone with a console, however if your friends are on a different console you can't play with them. I suspect that various markets are going to drift towards the majority one console due to online multiplayer and playing with friends. The console market in my opinion is likely going to be dominated by one or two major console manufacturers, I suspect it'll be either Microsoft or Sony AND Nintendo given the fact that Nintendo is unique enough to survive on their own devices.

Tease.

MaxwellGT2000 said:
Michael-5 said:

Maybe, but if that's true, then next gen even more people will own multiple consoles. After all if PS3/Wii or 360/Wii rounds the library better then PS2/GCN or PS2/XB, then..... However PS1/N64 had a pretty complete library, no one cared for Sega.

I Don't think Wii U will eliminate the need for a second console because just like the Wii - PS360 and the GCN/XB - PS2 and the PS1 - N64 before it, the Wii U is looking to be a lot different then the PS4 (which looks to be more traditional) and the NextBox. Not everyone is going to want two screens, I mean look at DS vs. PSP, PSP still sold decently well and has its own unique share of games.

Going with the PSP analogy, PSP had a real cut of the Japanese developers due to Monster Hunter creating a strong base in Japan, this kept gamers like me interested in PSP cause we love Monster Hunter and PSP got a few Japanese games DS didn't because of the drastic difference in hardware power.  That's what kept that system selling... that and free games and being the best emulator machine in the market lol Vita lacks that appeal.

Wii U and 3DS are poised however to take Japan flat out, which is a shame for competition but like I brought up there are those Japanese game fans in the west that might be forced into getting a Wii U as a result instead of going PS3/Wii like this gen.  But what I mean by possibly no need for a second console, cause if it's traditional controls you want, Wii U offers that, if it's motion controls, Wii U offers that, if you want to use your old controllers on Wii U? They got you covered, just like Black Ops 2 plays on Wii U with all the set ups so could PS4 multiplats that are traditional, thus it makes the need for a PS4 go down.  Which is the point of my thread, if this console holds the traditional and the casual gamers, why go for one that only offers traditional?  If they go for both markets too what sets the PS4 apart from the Wii U? 

I don't think Wii U will have exclusive control over JRPG's. What if MS buys out exclusives like they did for 360? What if a big publisher wants Platnium Games to make an exclusive not on the Wii. I just don't it happening.

Also PSP started off super poorly, not unlike the PSV. PSV sales will rise, a lot of gamers (especially Japanese gamers who primarly play handheld games) want HD quality experiences on the go. I have a feeling PSV will get exclusives similar to Valkyria Chronicles and Demon Souls.

Also, for PS4, if developers (specifically western) don't make their multiplatform games playable on the Wii U, then Wii U, like the Wii, GCN and N64 before it, might not get all the third party support it needs to succeed. I garentee you most GTA or CoD fans have no plans to switch loyalties to Nintendo, and Nintendo might block out a few bloodier games like FallOut. I'm very surprised to see Ninja Gaiden 3 on the Wii U.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Maxwell? Squilliam? What year is it?

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

DanneSandin said:
@binary_solo: I don't think the PS base is anywhere near 60m, nor is Xbox's. They both had one very good selling point this gen: HD graphics. That and they had great 3rd party support. That's what sold the system to close to 70m gamers. If Nintendo only has a 20m base, do you really think PS360 has 60m each? No. =)

OP: I agree that if Nintendo plays this gen right, and the other two mess up Nintendo will win. If all consoles will have the same 3rd party support (which I think they'll have - see my sig for further info) I think there's a big chance of WiiU winning this gen.

Well if you look at my maths, and you see me saying that I reckon you can count 180 million consoles as having been sold already, then you see I think PS3 has a 60M base and 360 has something similar then that leaves 60M of my pre-sold consoles unsold. Clearly that's got to be Wii U. So I donb;t know where you get 20M for Wii U from.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix