By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo's gamer strategy and why they could take it all this next gen

Well one advantage Ninty has this gen is that for the first time since the NES launched more than 25 years ago, they will be first to market with a new console to start the next generation. The head start they'll have plus price advantage almost guarantees them to be the sales leader for the duration of the upcoming console generation.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network
NightDragon83 said:
Well one advantage Ninty has this gen is that for the first time since the NES launched more than 25 years ago, they will be first to market with a new console to start the next generation. The head start they'll have plus price advantage almost guarantees them to be the sales leader for the duration of the upcoming console generation.

That is a major hurdle I didn't think about that actually kept blocking Sony in America with the PS3 vs 360, initial base, constantly trying to go below the 360, but every time they got close Microsoft could just lower the bar more, which kept the consumer in North America eyeing that more in reach 360 than the less supported PS3 which your friends were not on instead they were all on XBL.  Hopefully with the start of the next gen that might reset things even in Sonys favor cause we really need to get rid of ANY standard of paying to use your own internet connection to play online, that's just madness, it's one thing to pay for it to pay for content servers for demos and exclusive content ALA PSN plus (which makes sense), but it's another that they keep you from playing the main component of most current gen titles because you're not paying them for a peer to peer connection.  

I really REALLY hope the idea that being tied to an account doesn't actually hold true simply because some old XBLA games or PSN titles are tied to said account, the way I view it is if you still have that console you can still play those at any time so what's the matter?  Jump ship to get the games you want this next gen, but I can see that being a hurdle for some.  

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

binary solo said:
DanneSandin said:

Hahaha yeah I see now that I explained the part about 20m poorly. What I meant by that is that GameCube sold 20m, so that should be Nintendo's fan base. It makes me wonder why Sony, in less time, have manage to get a bigger fan base - but still not moving as much 1st party games as Nintendo... Or maybe I didn't understand what you were saying? Am I missing the point completely?

The "base" in the context I'm meaning are those people who are generally inclined to buy one console over the others. GCs 20M represent the Nintendo core: being those who will always buy Nintendo in good times and bad. It's possibly to lose a lot of the base if you screw up badly. It's not really possible to lose the core. Nintendo screwed up badly with GC so they pretty much lost all of their base. They got it back with Wii.

Sony established a large base because they sold a butt load of PS1s and PS2's. They sold more PS1's than any non-handheld Nintendo console, and then they went one better with PS2. By comparison Nintendo's best selling non-HH console before Wii was NEs at 61M. PS3 has sold more than NES by 5M units. And it looks like Wii won't beat out PS1. So PS3 has sold better than every non-HH Nintendo other than Wii, and Wii has sold worse than every non-HH PS console other than PS3. What does that tell us? The base for brand Playstation built up pretty rapidly over the course of 2 generations. The base for non-HH Nintendo cannot be said to be higher than Playstation on the basis of Wii's performance. It might be higher than PS if the first time ever console buyers who bought Wii can be consisdered part of Wii's new base. But that's far from certain. Why would a person who bought Wii for Wii Fit feel compelled to buy a Wii U? They have no particular brand loyalty to Nintendo or Wii. The evolution of fitness software on consoles is arguably on Kinect, so the Wii Fit demographic may have already gone to 360/Kinect. Or they may be more inclined to get 720/Kinect 2.0.

Estimating the base for each console brand is pretty much a guess on my part. But estimating the base will be connected in some way with the sales history of the brand. We have a 3 generation history for PS brand and it averages out to about 100 million per generation. But you've also got to look at the brand's low point when considering the base too, and the context of that low point. PS3 had a bad generation, at least until 2009. It was total doom and gloom with predictions of 10-15M lifetime sales. But in spite of that PS3 has managed to have a reasonable generation in terms of units sold. That suggests the brand's base is pretty close to PS3 sales. Not all of PS3's sales will be to its base, but most of them will be. 60M is optimistic for me perhaps, but 50M is very realistic for PS4 even if all Sony does is slightly change the controller to improve some ergonomics and of course produce a PS4 with the rumoured specs or thereabouts.

The Xbox base is the least discernable as it's got only 2 generations of information and they've established no pattern, and their first generation was rather lackluster, unlike PS. It's base might be 25M or it might be 50M. But at this point, because Xbox is so strong in USA (i.e. it has a solid base there now I think) and UK I think 50-60M is well and truly on for 720. So maybe I should express things in a range, like 50-60M for the 3 consoles and hence 150-180M consoles are pretty much pre-sold.

We cannot confuse the people that bought PS3 this gen with that of Sonys CORE fan base (because that's what we're really talking about here; fan base). I'll simply list a few features the PS3 had that made people buy it:

Blu Ray player

HD graphics

Major leap regarding power over the last gen

3rd party support

Online multiplayer

Considering these features  we all understand why people bought the PS3, and this doesn't mean that Sonys fan base is 60 million. That's quite compeling arguments to get a PS3, just as motion control were a big selling point for Wii. You gotta remember that most gamers are "nomads", they go where most 3rd party games is, as has been apparent through the whole og VG history. NES had massive 3rd party support. Snes had even bigger 3rd party support. PS1 snagged all the 3rd party support, and keept it with PS2. Then along comes Xbox360; getting equelly as much 3rd party support as PS3, and it's pretty much a draw between them now.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

DanneSandin said:

You gotta remember that most gamers are "nomads", they go where most 3rd party games is, as has been apparent through the whole og VG history. NES had massive 3rd party support. Snes had even bigger 3rd party support. PS1 snagged all the 3rd party support, and keept it with PS2. Then along comes Xbox360; getting equelly as much 3rd party support as PS3, and it's pretty much a draw between them now.

That's what might present itself as a problem down the line for WiiU - if PS4/720 are roughly the same power, and both based on x86 CPUs and ATIs GPUs it will be breeze for 3rd party developers to make multiplats in next generation for those two system (unlike what we had at the beginning of this one, due to PS3 architecture). Now, I have no doubt that developers using current gen tools and engines will have no problem making solid and realativly easy WiiU versions once 720/PS4 hit the market, what I fear is what will happpen when they start using next-gen engines and push them to the limits - how hard it will be for UE4's "real-time everything" pipeline to downscale or bake to UE3 for example. I'm certain that it probably can be done for lot of future titles, but if it turns out that it requires significant time/money, desicion will probably be made depending on WiiU's user base at the moment - and that user base must be significant if they want for major 3rd parties to continue supporting them by investing additional resources in WiiU ports. That said, I don't see much people jumping to WiiU and leaving their PS360s behind (WiiU is not really showing generation leap against PS360), once 720/PS4 come that's where they gonna migrate to.

HoloDust said:
DanneSandin said:

You gotta remember that most gamers are "nomads", they go where most 3rd party games is, as has been apparent through the whole og VG history. NES had massive 3rd party support. Snes had even bigger 3rd party support. PS1 snagged all the 3rd party support, and keept it with PS2. Then along comes Xbox360; getting equelly as much 3rd party support as PS3, and it's pretty much a draw between them now.

That's what might present itself as a problem down the line for WiiU - if PS4/720 are roughly the same power, and both based on x86 CPUs and ATIs GPUs it will be breeze for 3rd party developers to make multiplats in next generation for those two system (unlike what we had at the beginning of this one, due to PS3 architecture). Now, I have no doubt that developers using current gen tools and engines will have no problem making solid and realativly easy WiiU versions once 720/PS4 hit the market, what I fear is what will happpen when they start using next-gen engines and push them to the limits - how hard it will be for UE4's "real-time everything" pipeline to downscale or bake to UE3 for example. I'm certain that it probably can be done for lot of future titles, but if it turns out that it requires significant time/money, desicion will probably be made depending on WiiU's user base at the moment - and that user base must be significant if they want for major 3rd parties to continue supporting them by investing additional resources in WiiU ports. That said, I don't see much people jumping to WiiU and leaving their PS360s behind (WiiU is not really showing generation leap against PS360), once 720/PS4 come that's where they gonna migrate to.

I agree with everything you said - except that last sentence :P At the start of this generation Xbox360 didn't show much of a leap either (generally speaking). And like I've stated before, I don't believe Sony will make a significant leap next gen (and by that I mean PS4 won't be much stronger than WiiU), which means we'll have 2 consoles of equel power and they will therefor get 3rd party titles.

But all of this is speculations. The wort part is we'll probably have to wait 10 months before we know anything about next Xstation!!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.