By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Australia politician links gay marriage to bestiality.

Jay520 said:

And what is that definition based off of? 

Looking at the definition of paraphilia, it deals with sex that wasn't normal. And in the past, interacial marriage was not normal, it was even illegal in many areas. So, interacial marriage was definitely a form of paraphila. Therefore, you must agree that, at the time, the legalization of interacial marriage was a step towards any other form of paraphilia. Correct?

I understand, that definition suits a specific purpose, such as a person might be sexually aroused by what is forbidden, and as such in a context where inter-racial sexual relations were forbidden that could be considered stimulation due to paraphilia.

But what I meant was different, and I may not have the right term, but for lack of a better term I used paraphilia to mean anything that I, personally, do not consider sacred union. As such, inter-racial sex doesn't fit that description, for me, as I outlined it earlier.

So, with that in mind, the logic stands.

Around the Network
Viper1 said:

As was consensual, non-arranged marriages before that.

Also true.

happydolphin said:
JWeinCom said:

A 12 year old girl might not make it clear either, but that doesn't make it any less illegal.  Minors aren't legally qualified to give consent, and neither are animals. 

Again, why would letting two humans who are of sound mind, of the same species, and are capable of giving verbal consent, lead to people suddenly thinking that animals are capable of entering into consensual sexual relationships?  Please, explain to me clearly and in detail how one thing leads to another.

The reason why a girl would not make it clear and a horse wouldn't (horse as the most efficient example for my side of the debate), is that a girl would stay quiet for much more complex reasons, and so it's hard to tell what's going on in her mind, same could be said about a 12 year old boy. But an animal staying quiet is less likely due to some kind of psychological pressure they would feel.

Example, parental sexual abuse. The child would likely not say anything so as to not alarm other members of the family, or because the person committing the abuse is a figure of authority.

Animals are waaaaay more complex creatures than you give them credit for, and I'm not about to speculate about what goes on in the head of a raped horse, although keep in mind that horses and dogs respond to authority very strongly.  We've bred them for obedience for centuries.

But all that is besides the point.  The main question is this.  Why would allowing marraige between two consentual adult humans suddenly lead us to allow relationships between a human and a horse?  You said that it would, so please explain the WHY behind that statement.

JWeinCom said:

Animals are waaaaay more complex creatures than you give them credit for, and I'm not about to speculate about what goes on in the head of a raped horse, although keep in mind that horses and dogs respond to authority very strongly.  We've bred them for obedience for centuries.

But all that is besides the point.  The main question is this.  Why would allowing marraige between two consentual adult humans suddenly lead us to allow relationships between a human and a horse?  You said that it would, so please explain the WHY behind that statement.

I accept your argument, but the silence of a human is much stronger imho. I'll just leave it there since we both agree it's a rabbithole we don't want to fall into.

TheWHY. So, as I explained to Jay, in my humble opinion, there is such a thing as absolute morality, that is defined above and beyond the personal experiences of each person. You may not agree with that, and that's your pre-rogative, but as a believer in the divine and his holy statutes, it is my opinion that anything that is outside of his ordinances, that is accepted, paves the way to loosening the sacredness in other areas. So, for instance, opening the door to pedophilia is a step to opening the door to homosexuality, to bestiality, and vice versa.

I have no pragmatic reason for this except my own personal conscience and senses of the results of these activities. That's all I can say.

happydolphin said:

I understand, that definition suits a specific purpose, such as a person might be sexually aroused by what is forbidden, and as such in a context where inter-racial sexual relations were forbidden that could be considered stimulation due to paraphilia.

But what I meant was different, and I may not have the right term, but for lack of a better term I used paraphilia to mean anything that I, personally, do not consider sacred union. As such, inter-racial sex doesn't fit that description, for me, as I outlined it earlier.

So, with that in mind, the logic stands.

Your argument is weak because it's completely dependent upon your subjective definition of sacred union. Using your logic, I could define 'sacred union' as 'two humans in love'. Which would mean that homosexual marriage falls under the category of 'sacred union'. Therefore, I could make the argument that homosexual marriage is not a step towards beastiality, and it would be just as valid as your argument.

Around the Network
Jay520 said:

Your argument is weak because it's completely dependent upon your subjective definition of sacred union. Using your logic, I could define 'sacred union' as 'two humans in love'. Which would mean that homosexual marriage falls under the category of 'sacred union'. Therefore, I could make the argument that homosexual marriage is not a step towards beastiality, and it would be just as valid as your argument.

You could, and you do. The only difference between you and I is that you pretend to be objective, while I do not. I'm basing my judgement on my personal values, which are subjective, as do you.

happydolphin said:
JWeinCom said:

No, you didn't explain it.  You just stated it as if were fact with no backing.  In most cases bestiality is illegal because it's considered animal abuse.  Why would we stop thinking this because homosexuals are getting married?

Oh, and btw, bestiality is still legal in 13 states of the US.  Homosexual marraige is legal in 6...

I'm pretty sure that if the animal didn't want it they would make it pretty damn clear, assuming it's a large animal like a dog or a horse (which is the most common I would assume).

*record scratches*

Did you just basically state that if an animal doesn't make it known in some form a human can understand that they don't want your sexual advances that it means they do want your sexual advances?

Dafuq?

Wait, if a dog is humping your leg.......

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:

*record scratches*

Did you just basically state that if an animal doesn't make it known in some form a human can understand that they don't want your sexual advances that it means they do want your sexual advances?

Dafuq?

Wait, if a dog is humping your leg.......

Sorry, I can't read for you so I'll paraphrase what I wrote using your words. (Record scratches indeed)

If an animal doesn't want your sexual advances then it means they don't want your sexual and will make it known in some form a human can understand that they don't.

happydolphin said:
JWeinCom said:

I accept your argument, but the silence of a human is much stronger imho. I'll just leave it there since we both agree it's a rabbithole we don't want to fall into.

TheWHY. So, as I explained to Jay, in my humble opinion, there is such a thing as absolute morality, that is defined above and beyond the personal experiences of each person. You may not agree with that, and that's your pre-rogative, but as a believer in the divine and his holy statutes, it is my opinion that anything that is outside of his ordinances, that is accepted, paves the way to loosening the sacredness in other areas. So, for instance, opening the door to pedophilia is a step to opening the door to homosexuality, to bestiality, and vice versa.

I have no pragmatic reason for this except my own personal conscience and senses of the results of these activities. That's all I can say.

If that's your personal belief than that's fine and dandy.  You're an individual, and you're free to determine your behavior based on your personal beliefs.  If you think that homosexuality is going to lead you down the road to bestialty, then by all means don't have gay sex.

The problem is that the person who said this quote was not just some guy on a message board.  He was a senator, who is in charge of making policies.  It is his job to look at the evidence and make informed and educated decisions.  It's not ok for him to legislate based on his personal opinons, religious beliefs, or anything besides sound logic, reasoning, and evidence.

Well, as Runa said, you're using the Slippery Slope argument.

Also, I see you're basing your stance on your religious beliefs. Nothing I can say about that without starting a religious debate. So, I'll get out of here since I really need some sleep.