By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why PS4 won't be cutting edge, and neither will Xbox3 - or Why Nintendo might win next gen

Is my reasoning sound?

Hellz yeah! Spot on 265 33.42%

I never thought of it like that.... 69 8.70%

So it's the mental institution next for you? 101 12.74%

So very, very wrong 266 33.54%

I'm a pussy with no opinion 88 11.10%

Total:789
ironmanDX said:

Everyone here is forgetting the casual 720 or the xbox TV or whatever it is called. I think they'll release a casual 720 with kinect 2.0, a core by itself and a core with kinect 2.0 for people with to much money! :D It should cater for everyone's needs and price ranges some what well.

If rumors are to be believed an they're going to offer a subscription based sale offering I doubt cost won't matter as much for M$ either. They can afford to sell at a loss.

Rich bastards.

The problem with that approach (launching 3 versions) is that it not only can confuse your customer but also makes it harder for developers to use those extra features, because they don't know how many people have them. That's why neither Kinect nor Move have had much support from 3rd parties and the reason why Nintendo made the Wiimote and now the Gamepad the de-facto controllers.

And about that Xbox lite (casual), the rumor said is that it would be a "low cost alternative to its Xbox console". To me that implies it having less power than the true nextbox. Think more of a Xbox360 + Kinect focused on playing media while being able to play most of the Live games, but not the retail ones.

The thing about subscription is that they have only tried it in the US (which is their biggest and primary market). They don't know if that model will work in Europe (Japan doesn't care).

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
JEMC said:

The problem with that approach (launching 3 versions) is that it not only can confuse your customer but also makes it harder for developers to use those extra features, because they don't know how many people have them. That's why neither Kinect nor Move have had much support from 3rd parties and the reason why Nintendo made the Wiimote and now the Gamepad the de-facto controllers.

And about that Xbox lite (casual), the rumor said is that it would be a "low cost alternative to its Xbox console". To me that implies it having less power than the true nextbox. Think more of a Xbox360 + Kinect focused on playing media while being able to play most of the Live games, but not the retail ones.

The thing about subscription is that they have only tried it in the US (which is their biggest and primary market). They don't know if that model will work in Europe (Japan doesn't care).

I think giving options is better than worse. How many DS' were released?? Still sold like oxygen. Subscription will do well. How can it not? My phone im paying $29 a month for is worth more than any current gen or the WiiU console. Even more expensive then any combination of 2.

I wonder how powerfull it will be compared to the WiiU? Could be slightly weaker an ship with Kinect 2.0 and be the same or just under the same (launch) price.

weaveworld said:
DanneSandin said:
weaveworld said:
So the specs of ps4/720 will be comparable. At least that would be the wisest decision for both.

I actually agree yes. None of them can "lower" themselves to Nintendo's level, because they'd get the same multiplat games. And if they have the same library from 3rd party games, it all comes down to 1st party games... And no one beats Nintendo there.

From what i've read the wii u is somewhat comparable to current consoles so they have to make a leap forward. A decent leap, why else would you bring a new console to the market. Else make an ever slimmer ps360 and call it the ps4/720.

I think they need to exist next to eachother. And i'd be very surprised if the responsible persons think otherwise. So you'd think they'd have secret meetings to agree on release dates and specs? ;p

I imagine the Wii U somewhere between PS360 and PS720, and hopefully strong enough to get good ports from all major 3rd parties!

I think both of MS and Sony are smart enough to understand that they can't have "weak" consoles like Wii U, because that would mean that they share the same 3rd party games, and what it comes down to then is 1st party support. And we all know who's the big dog when it comes to 1st party games...

And considering that both PS# and xbox360 is quite equel in power it wouldn't be a long shot to think that PS4 and x3ox will be the same...

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

justinian said:
After years of hyping their consoles power and promoting the need of consoles to be super powerful this will be going against the very ideology that they (MS, Sony) themselves created.

They just can't do a u-turn. Many graphic whores and power monkeys will be turned off by MS consoles if they are not powerful enough. The very same people that treat the wii u with contempt because of it's lack of ooomph.

Yes, I think I agree. Sony could actually make a weaker console and get away with it, because PS1 and PS2 weren't the strongest systems of their days. MS on the other side have always had powerful consoles, so there's no turning back for them. Besides, they've got the money to make it so.

ironmanDX said:
JEMC said:

I think giving options is better than worse. How many DS' were released?? Still sold like oxygen. Subscription will do well. How can it not? My phone im paying $29 a month for is worth more than any current gen or the WiiU console. Even more expensive then any combination of 2.

I wonder how powerfull it will be compared to the WiiU? Could be slightly weaker an ship with Kinect 2.0 and be the same or just under the same (launch) price.

I'm not saying that options aren't good. I'm saying that too many options aren't good. You mention the DS, but fail to mention that not all its models were available at the same time. The first DS, the fat one, was discontinued when the DSi was launched and the DSLite that replaced the fat one was almost discontinued when the DSi XL hit the stores. You can say that only 2 DS models were available at the same time.

And I only mentioned that the subscription model has only been tested in the USA. A console is not a phone, and what works in the USA doesn't have to work in the rest of the world.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
DanneSandin said:
JayWood2010 said:

I see what you are saying and all but unless sony and microsoft really tried then they will make a pretty decent jump over the WiiU. It wont be as big as the wii vs ps360 but it will still be different. Let me put it this way. let's say hypothetically the Wii is a 2 in power. Well then the 360 would be a 5 and the ps3 a 5.5. Does that sound about correct? Ok now let's move on to the WiiU. Likely itll be pushing a 7 by the end of its life so that is 1.5 more powerful. Well if that is true then ps4 would likely an 8-9 as well as the 720. Why because both of them with current technology will probably be at least a 1.5x increase.

Scrap all that for a second though. The one thing you did get spot on was the Sony and Kinect issues. Sony PS1 and PS2 were pretty weak in power but were very successful. PS3 had a different strategy and was pretty much a failure until it's later years. Now they are financially unstable and have dropped down to AA status along with the strong yen. Likely this will cause them to cut on hardware. Kinect 2.0 will be bundled most likely and yes that will keep it's hardware from going up too much as well which is why I think we won't see as big of a leap as we did this gen.

Alrighty then... I don't quite know what to reply to here :p But going by your numbers there (Wii:2, PS360: 5, Wii U: 7, PS720: 8-9) I think it's safe to say that Wii U will receive pretty decent ports when next gen is in full swing. I mean, just take a look at the 6th gen. PS2 were the number "2" - as Wii was this last gen. But that didn't mean PS2 got crappy ports of GC games, now did it? I think this gen will be something similar to that.

Now when 3rd party games isn't exclusive I don't think consoles from Sony and MS can ever be close to power next to a Nintendo console again. Just take a look at PS3 and Xbox360; they are VERY close sales wise, and there's really only 2 things that differentiate them from each other: 1st party games and Blu ray. Had Wii been more on par with these two systems I'm sure we would have seen a situation closer to PS1 and PS2 dominance.

MS can go all out with super specs and Kinect 2.0 for the x3ox, but can Sony do the same for PS4? I don't think we'll see a console over $400 next gen, and to squeeze enough power into that box blowing Wii U out of the waters...? It'll be enough to look better than Wii U, but will it be enough hinder good ports?

I was just using hypothetical numbers so sorry if they were a little confusing.  I do believe the Nexbox and PS4 will be about 4x as powerful putting them both close to a 20 with the WiiU at around 7-9.  The WiiU's biggest opstacle is going to be it's slow ram. It won't be as noticeable though as the Wii vs X360/PS4 is what I was getting at. Most games won't even utilize the power of each console.  Ports won't be an issue for the WiiU as it still looks nice.  It would basically be like playing on PC.  What I mean is you have Ultra High Settings to low settings.  The WiiU would be more on par with the mid to low settings compared to the other 2.  Not bad though because the Wii wasn't even able to play a lot of these games.

No, the numbers were fine, I got them =) You said that you should "scrap that" later, that's what confused me :p But I agree with what you're saying that Wii U probably will be a mid to low PC and PS720 will be at the high end of that scale. And that's one of the reasons why I think Wii U might win next gen. It should at least be a tough gen, with the 3 consoles going neck to neck in the charts ;)

Actually I would put the Wii U at a 6, PS3 at a 5.5 and Xbox 360 as a 5 and the XB3 as a 35 and PS4 as a 32.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
Actually I would put the Wii U at a 6, PS3 at a 5.5 and Xbox 360 as a 5 and the XB3 as a 35 and PS4 as a 32.

Do you really believe that the nest consoles will be 6x/7x more powerful than the PS3/Xbox360?

JEMC said:
Squilliam said:

Do you really believe that the nest consoles will be 6x/7x more powerful than the PS3/Xbox360?

Why wouldn't they be? The Xbox 360 only has 430M transistors CGPU + 100M transistors ED-RAM. On 28nm you can pack in a lot of transistors, ~1.4B per 100mm^2. There have been very strong rumours for 5GB of RAM available to games for the Xbox 3, 3GB for OS, they make sense given the availability of DDR4 next year and advanced chip stacking techniques which yield incredibly high bandwidth.

Edit: A lot can change in 8 years. The Xbox 360 is ancient by comparison now, they won't have to release a 200W console to be 8x more powerful, they could do it with 120W. If they release a 200W console again it'll be more like 12x more powerful but I think that is unlikely.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
JEMC said:
Squilliam said:

Why wouldn't they be? The Xbox 360 only has 430M transistors CGPU + 100M transistors ED-RAM. On 28nm you can pack in a lot of transistors, ~1.4B per 100mm^2. There have been very strong rumours for 5GB of RAM available to games for the Xbox 3, 3GB for OS, they make sense given the availability of DDR4 next year and advanced chip stacking techniques which yield incredibly high bandwidth.

Edit: A lot can change in 8 years. The Xbox 360 is ancient by comparison now, they won't have to release a 200W console to be 8x more powerful, they could do it with 120W. If they release a 200W console again it'll be more like 12x more powerful but I think that is unlikely.

The main thing preventing that is cost. Sure, they could launch a console with 12x the power, but the cost for that would be too big to make it a viable option. And 8 times more powerful but using only 120W. At what speeds would the CPU and GPU need to operate to get the consumption that low? Wouldn't it be counterproductive?

Side note: Do you think that DDR4 will be used? If, as you say, they make it available in 2013 then it will be much more expensive than DDR3. Maybe even more expensive than GDDR5. And while the bandwidth sees a very high increment, so is the latency that almost doubles going from CAS7 to CAS13.