By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why PS4 won't be cutting edge, and neither will Xbox3 - or Why Nintendo might win next gen

Is my reasoning sound?

Hellz yeah! Spot on 265 33.42%

I never thought of it like that.... 69 8.70%

So it's the mental institution next for you? 101 12.74%

So very, very wrong 266 33.54%

I'm a pussy with no opinion 88 11.10%

Total:789
KeptoKnight said:
DanneSandin said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Nintendo wont have the casuals with the Wii U. Its not as simple a process as the Wii was for them and will segment the audience greatly. The PS4 and the 720 will have stable sales and pass the Wii U December of the second year.

I'd say that depends on whether or not Wii U will get the same 3rd party games as PS720, and not gimped ports... If it has decent/good ports I can see Wii U winning next gen, but it all kinda depends on Sony and MS at this point.

That's why I asked him in the other thread it depends how powerful it will be? If its 2-3 times the power of the Wii-U, the Wii-U will get plenty of ports EXCEPT PROLLY:

Elder scrolls

Borderlands

Metro

Fallout

Prey

Tomb Raider

Max Payne (not sure)

Crysis (prolly not still 50/50)

GTA (I  see it coming sooner or later we do not know what the "real" wait is).

*The rest nobody gives a shit about

If its 5 times the power (VERY UNLIKELY), then Wii-U will lose a lot. BUT will still have the main ones being ported eg: COD, Batman etc..

*Another note: If they release games on a 4x-5x powerful console than the Wii-U, I suppose the games will cost $69.99? or no?

I imagine that Wii U will miss out on quite a few ports in 2013, but I really hope that won't be the case in 2014 to 2018. Missing out GTA VI and Elder Scrolls 6 and the next Mass Effect will do Nintendo no good. If this will be the case I'd say that Nintendo has failed with the Wii U.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
HoloDust said:

MPolygons/s - 360: 500   Wii: 30+

MPixel/s - 360: 4000  Wii: 972

MTexels/s - 360: 8000 Wii: 972

GFLOPS - 360: 240 Wii: 12

You're looking at apples and oranges ...

Taking theoritical performance from the XBox 360 and comparing it against real world performance of the Wii; if the XBox 360 could produce 500 Million polygons per second it would be averaging around 20 million polygons per frame, which is (in reality) about 20 times what we will see from the XBox 360. Most XBox 360 and PS3 games average about 1 to 2 million polygons per frame while the Wii averaged between 250,000 and 500,000 per frame.

I'm pretty sure those are theorethical numbers, for both 360 and Wii. In practice, if I recall it correctly, highest I've come across as number is something around 3-4mils/frame for 360 (probably @30fps). Not that it matters much anyway....

DanneSandin said:

Well, developers are contradicting themselves really. They say that Wii U isn't powerful enough, and at the same time many studios have closed this gen due to high costs developing a game. If PS720 is a major leap tech wise, developing costs will double. Now, how will that effect developing games? That's another reason why next gen won't be a similar leap as PS3 from PS2 was.

@bold - really doubt that, that's just Epic selling their engine. Most of cost and design philosophy for HD transition has already been done in this gen, next-gen will simply have more power and even more cost-effective tools (real-time everything, as demonstrated in UE4 demo videos).

For example, look at modded PC Skyrim screenshots, with mods that are done by community, and compare that to PS360 shots:

http://kotaku.com/5961994/what-skyrim-looks-like-when-youre-running-100-mods-at-once

Quite impressive, and not that much more costly (I'm sure Bethesda could've done it themself, if they wanted, but since they don;t care for PC anymore....).

HoloDust said:
DanneSandin said:

Well, developers are contradicting themselves really. They say that Wii U isn't powerful enough, and at the same time many studios have closed this gen due to high costs developing a game. If PS720 is a major leap tech wise, developing costs will double. Now, how will that effect developing games? That's another reason why next gen won't be a similar leap as PS3 from PS2 was.

@bold - really doubt that, that's just Epic selling their engine. Most of cost and design philosophy for HD transition has already been done in this gen, next-gen will simply have more power and even more cost-effective tools (real-time everything, as demonstrated in UE4 demo videos).

For example, look at modded PC Skyrim screenshots, with mods that are done by community, and compare that to PS360 shots:

http://kotaku.com/5961994/what-skyrim-looks-like-when-youre-running-100-mods-at-once

Quite impressive, and not that much more costly (I'm sure Bethesda could've done it themself, if they wanted, but since they don;t care for PC anymore....).

You think that Wii U will be able to play games looking like that? =(

DanneSandin said:
HoloDust said:

To be honest, I very much doubt it, with some of those mods (like grass) even higher end PCs have difficulties, so that stuff will be something that will probably push even NextBox and PS4 to limits. But, some downgraded version of it, probably yes, vanilla Skyrim runs pretty decent on 6570 cards.

Around the Network
HoloDust said:
DanneSandin said:
HoloDust said:

To be honest, I very much doubt it, with some of those mods (like grass) even higher end PCs have difficulties, so that stuff will be something that will probably push even NextBox and PS4 to limits. But, some downgraded version of it, probably yes, vanilla Skyrim runs pretty decent on 6570 cards.

All I really care for is that WIi U gets good ports from PS720... It doesn't have to look much better than Batman: AA or Skyrim. I'm happy with that, as long as it's no god damn gimped bastard versions...

So the specs of ps4/720 will be comparable. At least that would be the wisest decision for both.

weaveworld said:
So the specs of ps4/720 will be comparable. At least that would be the wisest decision for both.

I actually agree yes. None of them can "lower" themselves to Nintendo's level, because they'd get the same multiplat games. And if they have the same library from 3rd party games, it all comes down to 1st party games... And no one beats Nintendo there.

DanneSandin said:
weaveworld said:

I actually agree yes. None of them can "lower" themselves to Nintendo's level, because they'd get the same multiplat games. And if they have the same library from 3rd party games, it all comes down to 1st party games... And no one beats Nintendo there.

From what i've read the wii u is somewhat comparable to current consoles so they have to make a leap forward. A decent leap, why else would you bring a new console to the market. Else make an ever slimmer ps360 and call it the ps4/720.

I think they need to exist next to eachother. And i'd be very surprised if the responsible persons think otherwise. So you'd think they'd have secret meetings to agree on release dates and specs? ;p

I see what you are saying and all but unless sony and microsoft really tried then they will make a pretty decent jump over the WiiU. It wont be as big as the wii vs ps360 but it will still be different. Let me put it this way. let's say hypothetically the Wii is a 2 in power. Well then the 360 would be a 5 and the ps3 a 5.5. Does that sound about correct? Ok now let's move on to the WiiU. Likely itll be pushing a 7 by the end of its life so that is 1.5 more powerful. Well if that is true then ps4 would likely an 8-9 as well as the 720. Why because both of them with current technology will probably be at least a 1.5x increase.

Scrap all that for a second though. The one thing you did get spot on was the Sony and Kinect issues. Sony PS1 and PS2 were pretty weak in power but were very successful. PS3 had a different strategy and was pretty much a failure until it's later years. Now they are financially unstable and have dropped down to AA status along with the strong yen. Likely this will cause them to cut on hardware. Kinect 2.0 will be bundled most likely and yes that will keep it's hardware from going up too much as well which is why I think we won't see as big of a leap as we did this gen.