By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why PS4 won't be cutting edge, and neither will Xbox3 - or Why Nintendo might win next gen

Is my reasoning sound?

Hellz yeah! Spot on 265 33.42%

I never thought of it like that.... 69 8.70%

So it's the mental institution next for you? 101 12.74%

So very, very wrong 266 33.54%

I'm a pussy with no opinion 88 11.10%

Total:789
NintendoPie said:
DanneSandin said:
NintendoPie said:
DanneSandin said:

It was?

I was joking, of course. (!)

As was I ^^ I'm just curious to see the argument :p

There was practically no argument. I won. 

well, congratz :D

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
NintendoPie said:
DanneSandin said:
NintendoPie said:
DanneSandin said:

It was?

I was joking, of course. (!)

As was I ^^ I'm just curious to see the argument :p

There was practically no argument. I won. 

well, congratz :D

LOL

34 years playing games.

DanneSandin said:
goopy20 said:

Wow that is one wall of text but I stopped reading after the first line. "Sony's console won't be a huge leap because they can't afford it..." This whole theory is  based on that assumption and it makes no sense. Sony might be in a bad spot but the ps3 is still one of it's few products that is going very well, outselling the Xbox and Wii-U combined, for months in a row now. So instead of thinking Sony will cut corners with the ps4, you can also asume they are going all out to make sure it's most important cashcow will stay on top.

The Wii-U never had a chance because it's not competing with the ps4/ Xbox720, it's competing with the current gen and has no visual edge over the 7 year old consoles that were already on the market. Next gen graphics will obviously take a leap over the ps3 and Xbox720 because if it doesn't, then why the hell would MS and Sony spend a fortune building those things? The only chance Nintendo has is by showing that the tabet controller really is the best gameplay invention since the mouse and keyboard, and personally i just don't see that happening.

The PS3 certainly is not a cash cow. In fact, it's lost tons of money over the years, and it's not until fairly recently it has started to make money. But in the long run it will have lost most of the money PS2 managed to gain. And it's around this point I base my whole theory; in the end, PS3 has lost Sony money, and I don't think they want or can allow that again.

Ok for argument sake, lets say your right. Then why would sony and ms launch a new console if it's pretty much equal in hardware to what they got on the market already?

Even if their consoles aren't cutting edge by next year standards, they will still make the Wii-U look like a SNES in comparison. Not because these companies have more money to throw around, but because Nintendo decided to poor half their console production budget in a tablet controller that's not getting support from 3rd party studio's.

goopy20 said:
DanneSandin said:
goopy20 said:

Wow that is one wall of text but I stopped reading after the first line. "Sony's console won't be a huge leap because they can't afford it..." This whole theory is  based on that assumption and it makes no sense. Sony might be in a bad spot but the ps3 is still one of it's few products that is going very well, outselling the Xbox and Wii-U combined, for months in a row now. So instead of thinking Sony will cut corners with the ps4, you can also asume they are going all out to make sure it's most important cashcow will stay on top.

The Wii-U never had a chance because it's not competing with the ps4/ Xbox720, it's competing with the current gen and has no visual edge over the 7 year old consoles that were already on the market. Next gen graphics will obviously take a leap over the ps3 and Xbox720 because if it doesn't, then why the hell would MS and Sony spend a fortune building those things? The only chance Nintendo has is by showing that the tabet controller really is the best gameplay invention since the mouse and keyboard, and personally i just don't see that happening.

The PS3 certainly is not a cash cow. In fact, it's lost tons of money over the years, and it's not until fairly recently it has started to make money. But in the long run it will have lost most of the money PS2 managed to gain. And it's around this point I base my whole theory; in the end, PS3 has lost Sony money, and I don't think they want or can allow that again.

Ok for argument sake, lets say your right. Then why would sony and ms launch a new console if it's pretty much equal in hardware to what they got on the market already?

Even if their consoles aren't cutting edge by next year standards, they will still make the Wii-U look like a SNES in comparison. Not because these companies have more money to throw around, but because Nintendo decided to poor half their console production budget in a tablet controller that's not getting support from 3rd party studio's.

Well, one reason for launching new consoles this year could be the failing console sales...

I'm not saying that they'll be on par with Wii U; it's almost certain that they'll be more powerful. The question is just how much more powerful. Will we see a repetition of the Wii vs PS360? I doubt it. I think the difference will be more aching to a PS2 vs Xbox situation (Or in the worst case scenario; Dreamcast vs Xbox).

But you are right, it's starting to look like as if Wii U might miss most of the 3rd party games this gen as well, unless games are quite scalable this time around (which they seem to be; UE4 is supposed to be working on smartphones as well as high end PC's)...

DanneSandin said:
goopy20 said:
DanneSandin said:
goopy20 said:

Well, one reason for launching new consoles this year could be the failing console sales...

I'm not saying that they'll be on par with Wii U; it's almost certain that they'll be more powerful. The question is just how much more powerful. Will we see a repetition of the Wii vs PS360? I doubt it. I think the difference will be more aching to a PS2 vs Xbox situation (Or in the worst case scenario; Dreamcast vs Xbox).

But you are right, it's starting to look like as if Wii U might miss most of the 3rd party games this gen as well, unless games are quite scalable this time around (which they seem to be; UE4 is supposed to be working on smartphones as well as high end PC's)...

Not saying this is set in stone however according to Anandtech's analysis the Wii U's memory bandwidth is 12.8 GB/s which is in fact lower than both the PS3 and the 360. Its GPU is way more powerful but unfortunately the system appears to be bottlenecked by the processor and the low memory bandwidth so it will make it extremely difficult to take advantage of the GPU.

According to the latest rumours the PS4/Orbis unified memory bandwidth is 176GB/s which in theory is more than 10x the bandwidth of the Wii U. For the sake of Nintendo gamers I hope the difference isn't this vast however it's not looking too good at the moment.

Having said all that this doesn't mean that the Wii U won't be a great console only that it will make it tough to attain 3rd party support and by extension unless they corner the casual market like they did with the Wii then it will make it near impossible for them to come out on top again.

Here are some links.

http://gamingbolt.com/wii-u-ram-is-43-slower-than-ps3360-ram#A2fumC5omvzEqRjR.99

http://www.vgleaks.com/world-exclusive-orbis-unveiled/

Around the Network
Branko2166 said:
DanneSandin said:
goopy20 said:
DanneSandin said:
goopy20 said:

Not saying this is set in stone however according to Anandtech's analysis the Wii U's memory bandwidth is 12.8 GB/s which is in fact lower than both the PS3 and the 360. Its GPU is way more powerful but unfortunately the system appears to be bottlenecked by the processor and the low memory bandwidth so it will make it extremely difficult to take advantage of the GPU.

According to the latest rumours the PS4/Orbis unified memory bandwidth is 176GB/s which in theory is more than 10x the bandwidth of the Wii U. For the sake of Nintendo gamers I hope the difference isn't this vast however it's not looking too good at the moment.

Having said all that this doesn't mean that the Wii U won't be a great console only that it will make it tough to attain 3rd party support and by extension unless they corner the casual market like they did with the Wii then it will make it near impossible for them to come out on top again.

Here are some links.

http://gamingbolt.com/wii-u-ram-is-43-slower-than-ps3360-ram#A2fumC5omvzEqRjR.99

http://www.vgleaks.com/world-exclusive-orbis-unveiled/

Well, I'm no tech head, so I'll just have to trust you. This would of course be a problem, but not as severe as all the problems Wii had... if you'd like some better answers I suggest you check out superchunk's next gen comparison thread: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=136756&page=1#

They know a whole great deal more about this sort of thing than I do...

@DanneSandin

Yeah all good. I was just providing you info from a technical standpoint and the limitations the Wii U appears to have.
Like I said I hope that things turn out better for Nintendo's console though.

Branko2166 said:
@DanneSandin

Yeah all good. I was just providing you info from a technical standpoint and the limitations the Wii U appears to have.
Like I said I hope that things turn out better for Nintendo's console though.

Oh, I hope so as well! I'd like to be able to play my 3rd parties on my console, and not on my PC :p But knowing Nintendo, they'll fuck it all up ^^

The title is right, PS4 and xbox 3 won' be cutting edge, cutting edge as in exotic hardware which sells at a loss. Yes both PS3 and xbox360 had exotic hardware, PS3 with cell, and the 360 with its first generation unified pixel/vertex sharers which even included a primitive tessellation unit. Tech which was pretty much created for consoles first, of course such loses and exotic hardware is no longer a viable solution for either company, having said this, this will not stop Sony and Microsoft from making the best performing console at the given budget with standardised parts.

People need to keep in mind that both the PS4 and xbox3 will have a much better CPU than the Wii U, remember that the Wii U is in effect an extremely over clocked gamecube CPU multiplied by 3, but this tri core CPU architecture is old and in its age is less efficient per clock when compared to the much newer 8 core jaguar processor. This is a clear fact when you have developers who are known for pushing graphics like the guys from metro2033 saying that the Wii U CPU is very slow, this will be more problematic as time goes on. So in the end was keeping binary comparability with the Wii worth it? Backwards capability could have been achieved through software emulation with a stronger CPU the only extra cost would be in creating the software emulation...but I guess Nintendo took the easy way out by keeping binary compatibility.

As for the GPU, despite the Wii U being slightly more capable than the PS3 and xbox360 it means nothing at the end because Nintendo has only caught up to the 6/7 year old hardware, the PS4 and Xbox3 have a much more capable GPU providing dx11.1+ feature set, while the Wii U GPU is only Dx10. Why is this an issue, because DX11 is way more efficient in how it does tessellation, and this will be a key feature being used more and more as time goes on. Now the Wii U can do tessellation, but it is less efficient and the penalty on performance will be much greater so much so that like the xbox360 it will be a feature which won't be used. keep in mind that the PS4 and xbox 3 GPU is running on a more advanced architecture than the Wii U, which means that it can render allot more pixels and geometry on screen than the Wii U, which is important for IQ.

Now I’ll comment on the ram situation, I'm not going to say anything about the speed of ram. The biggest issue is the amount of ram. 1GB of ram for games is what will make the Wii U be in the same situation as the Wii. When games are designed for 3.5GB of ram for the PS4 and xbox3 (multiplatform) how is this supposed to fit on Wii U ram?  Developers will have to cut out 2.5GB of games assets to make it fit on the Wii U ram, the Wii U version will simply look inferior.

Nintendo left the graphics power house a generation ago, so this comes as no surprise. The Wii U’s selling point is it's unique controller, will this catch on like the Wii controls? No one really knows for sure, however,  time will tell. I will say Nintendo will face an uphill fight against proper tablets. I know, and we know that the Wii U controllers not a tablet but tell that to the masses who can't tell the difference. The danger with this is that the Ipad and now the android tabs dominate the tablet market, customer confusion and comparison will make the Wii U look inferior in their eyes. Nintendo never had this issue with the Wii, but they now need to do a hell of a job educating customers and clearly showing that the Wii U is not a tablet, but a console with the benefits of a tablet....how well Nintendo does and how well the Wii U does when the competition launches we don't know, but again time will tell.

anyways, that's my two cents :)

jake_the_fake1 said:

The title is right, PS4 and xbox 3 won' be cutting edge, cutting edge as in exotic hardware which sells at a loss. Yes both PS3 and xbox360 had exotic hardware, PS3 with cell, and the 360 with its first generation unified pixel/vertex sharers which even included a primitive tessellation unit. Tech which was pretty much created for consoles first, of course such loses and exotic hardware is no longer a viable solution for either company, having said this, this will not stop Sony and Microsoft from making the best performing console at the given budget with standardised parts.

People need to keep in mind that both the PS4 and xbox3 will have a much better CPU than the Wii U, remember that the Wii U is in effect an extremely over clocked gamecube CPU multiplied by 3, but this tri core CPU architecture is old and in its age is less efficient per clock when compared to the much newer 8 core jaguar processor. This is a clear fact when you have developers who are known for pushing graphics like the guys from metro2033 saying that the Wii U CPU is very slow, this will be more problematic as time goes on. So in the end was keeping binary comparability with the Wii worth it? Backwards capability could have been achieved through software emulation with a stronger CPU the only extra cost would be in creating the software emulation...but I guess Nintendo took the easy way out by keeping binary compatibility.

As for the GPU, despite the Wii U being slightly more capable than the PS3 and xbox360 it means nothing at the end because Nintendo has only caught up to the 6/7 year old hardware, the PS4 and Xbox3 have a much more capable GPU providing dx11.1+ feature set, while the Wii U GPU is only Dx10. Why is this an issue, because DX11 is way more efficient in how it does tessellation, and this will be a key feature being used more and more as time goes on. Now the Wii U can do tessellation, but it is less efficient and the penalty on performance will be much greater so much so that like the xbox360 it will be a feature which won't be used. keep in mind that the PS4 and xbox 3 GPU is running on a more advanced architecture than the Wii U, which means that it can render allot more pixels and geometry on screen than the Wii U, which is important for IQ.

Now I’ll comment on the ram situation, I'm not going to say anything about the speed of ram. The biggest issue is the amount of ram. 1GB of ram for games is what will make the Wii U be in the same situation as the Wii. When games are designed for 3.5GB of ram for the PS4 and xbox3 (multiplatform) how is this supposed to fit on Wii U ram?  Developers will have to cut out 2.5GB of games assets to make it fit on the Wii U ram, the Wii U version will simply look inferior.

Nintendo left the graphics power house a generation ago, so this comes as no surprise. The Wii U’s selling point is it's unique controller, will this catch on like the Wii controls? No one really knows for sure, however,  time will tell. I will say Nintendo will face an uphill fight against proper tablets. I know, and we know that the Wii U controllers not a tablet but tell that to the masses who can't tell the difference. The danger with this is that the Ipad and now the android tabs dominate the tablet market, customer confusion and comparison will make the Wii U look inferior in their eyes. Nintendo never had this issue with the Wii, but they now need to do a hell of a job educating customers and clearly showing that the Wii U is not a tablet, but a console with the benefits of a tablet....how well Nintendo does and how well the Wii U does when the competition launches we don't know, but again time will tell.

anyways, that's my two cents :)

And that's some pretty good and insightful two cents! I hope you're also checking in on superchunk's next gen comparison thread, I think you'd feel like a fish in water there! :D