By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why PS4 won't be cutting edge, and neither will Xbox3 - or Why Nintendo might win next gen

Is my reasoning sound?

Hellz yeah! Spot on 265 33.42%

I never thought of it like that.... 69 8.70%

So it's the mental institution next for you? 101 12.74%

So very, very wrong 266 33.54%

I'm a pussy with no opinion 88 11.10%

Total:789
Tachikoma said:
DanneSandin said:

I would think that the profits made by every sold game would go directly Sony's "gaming department", no? I would think that the gaming department would be made up of both HW and SW, and if that's the case, Sony still lost shit loads of money in the early days of PS3, and if that's the case I would like to re-post this:

http://i.imgur.com/S6asr.png

It's focusing on Sony's Gaming Business. Now, I don't know if SW profits goes here, or if it goes elsewhere, but I would imagine that Sony would like to make money from the PS-brand (I'm including HW and SW in this definition right now), so PS3 breaking even shouldn't be too pleasing for them. I assume they want to make money from the PS-brand, and that that's what they're aiming at with PS4.

And I'd also just like to ask that having superior specs doesn't mean you'll sell shit ton of consoles. PS1 wasn't the most powerful of it's gen, and neither were PS2. N64 WERE the most powerful in its day, as was xbox - and neither won the generation (and xbox lost hellalot of money as well). And take a look at the Vita; a more recent example. It ass fucks the 3DS specs wise, but it's a whole different story when we're looking at profits, and systems sales and game sales. More muscles don't automatically mean more sales. So far, it's quite the opposite. And we have to remember that PS4 has to be affordable by the consumers. If it costs too much, no one will buy it.

Here's the thing, right? and it' what number crunchers always fail to factor in.

Accessories, headsets, controllers, cables and so on - including but not limited to stuff like playstation move - that's all profits for Sony, and since the sixaxis to ds3 dabacle, i'm going to assume an awful lot of controllers have been sold. these figures are never included with 'hardware' calculations despite being hardware because of the headache behind tracking so many individual products - but consider the following, the PlayStation Move wasn't immensely successful but unlike controllers and so on, its sale path could be tracked.. now also consider this.. hardware suddenly spiked from loss to profits in 2010... when did the trackable PS move release again? thats right, 2010.

If you factor in the additional hardware, the PS3 is probably in the profitiable zone quite comfortably.

none of this means however that a consoles success is down to it's power, but theres not two consoles on the market, theres three, if sony dont push the hardware enough they'll be in direct competition with WiiU, and will definitely lose, if they push the hardware enough they can compete with Microsoft - The PS3 has, if you consider the year less on sale, more or less outsold the 360 by quite a bit despite it's poor start but if it were more on par and easier to develop for like the 360 it wouldnt have had a rough start, in releasing a console with as similar architecture and spec to the competitior as possible, multiplatform titles become a none issue and the race for success is down to platform exclusives alone, something Sony can out-trump Microsoft in.

As i said though, performance isn't related to sales, as the Wii showed, but this thread isn't about that, it's about which consoles will be the most powerful.

As I said in my previous post, I would of thought that SW sales and accessories would have been included in the overall numbers of Sony's Gaming Business, so until we know that (or you maybe can tell me straight out how it is?) there's really no point in arguing over that topic. I must confess that I don't have a clue if those numbers (sw and accessories) are included, so I can't add anything further to that part of the discussion.

Yes, I must agree that in this day and age when few titles, except 1st party, is exclusive, PS wouldn't stand a chance against Wii U if it had similar specs. And since the faulty launch and over all design of the PS3 has let Xbox to get a foot hold in gaming and get established as a brand, it'll be VERY interesting to see how the PS4 will do against x3ox. I would think that whom ever has the best/most interesting USP will win that battle. Now when they seem to have about the same specs and architecture, they will need something to differentiate themselves...

In your opinion, which system will pack the most punch??

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
Tachikoma said:
DanneSandin said:

The instal base is so much bigger on PS360 than it will be for the PS720 for years and years to come, so it would only be stupid of Ubi to ignore them. And as for Wii U; I'm quite sure it'll be easier to port games to Wii U from PS720, than it would be to port to PS360, and it'll be easier to port to Wii U than it was to port from PS360 to Wii....

And besides, WD was shown last year on e3, and it looked way too polished to be a game for the PS720, considering they wouldn't have had dev kits long enough to make it look that good. They might have gotten dev kits in early 2012, or the second half of 2011, and having a year to come up with what they showed us...? No, I think it's a PS360 game that ran on a PC, and it'll get ported over from there to the PS720...

The PS2 got the same need for speed games as the ps3, and despite the ps3's absolutely piss poor start, the PS3 version outsold the PS2, despite the PS2's the immense install base, never underestimate the power of a new console and 'shiny graphics'

WD was running on a high end PC, not a console if the game looked too polished to be a PS720 game how would it be a PS360 game? - The game was being played with a Windows 360 wireless controller. but that's as close to a console as the code was at that point.

What I meant was that it looked too polished to be a PS720 since they couldn't have gotten that far in development by the time they showed to demo. They must have worked on it for nearly 2 year, 1½ at least! And I don't think they got PS720 dev kits in 2010...

DanneSandin said:
Tachikoma said:
DanneSandin said:

I would think that the profits made by every sold game would go directly Sony's "gaming department", no? I would think that the gaming department would be made up of both HW and SW, and if that's the case, Sony still lost shit loads of money in the early days of PS3, and if that's the case I would like to re-post this:

http://i.imgur.com/S6asr.png

It's focusing on Sony's Gaming Business. Now, I don't know if SW profits goes here, or if it goes elsewhere, but I would imagine that Sony would like to make money from the PS-brand (I'm including HW and SW in this definition right now), so PS3 breaking even shouldn't be too pleasing for them. I assume they want to make money from the PS-brand, and that that's what they're aiming at with PS4.

And I'd also just like to ask that having superior specs doesn't mean you'll sell shit ton of consoles. PS1 wasn't the most powerful of it's gen, and neither were PS2. N64 WERE the most powerful in its day, as was xbox - and neither won the generation (and xbox lost hellalot of money as well). And take a look at the Vita; a more recent example. It ass fucks the 3DS specs wise, but it's a whole different story when we're looking at profits, and systems sales and game sales. More muscles don't automatically mean more sales. So far, it's quite the opposite. And we have to remember that PS4 has to be affordable by the consumers. If it costs too much, no one will buy it.

Here's the thing, right? and it' what number crunchers always fail to factor in.

Accessories, headsets, controllers, cables and so on - including but not limited to stuff like playstation move - that's all profits for Sony, and since the sixaxis to ds3 dabacle, i'm going to assume an awful lot of controllers have been sold. these figures are never included with 'hardware' calculations despite being hardware because of the headache behind tracking so many individual products - but consider the following, the PlayStation Move wasn't immensely successful but unlike controllers and so on, its sale path could be tracked.. now also consider this.. hardware suddenly spiked from loss to profits in 2010... when did the trackable PS move release again? thats right, 2010.

If you factor in the additional hardware, the PS3 is probably in the profitiable zone quite comfortably.

none of this means however that a consoles success is down to it's power, but theres not two consoles on the market, theres three, if sony dont push the hardware enough they'll be in direct competition with WiiU, and will definitely lose, if they push the hardware enough they can compete with Microsoft - The PS3 has, if you consider the year less on sale, more or less outsold the 360 by quite a bit despite it's poor start but if it were more on par and easier to develop for like the 360 it wouldnt have had a rough start, in releasing a console with as similar architecture and spec to the competitior as possible, multiplatform titles become a none issue and the race for success is down to platform exclusives alone, something Sony can out-trump Microsoft in.

As i said though, performance isn't related to sales, as the Wii showed, but this thread isn't about that, it's about which consoles will be the most powerful.

As I said in my previous post, I would of thought that SW sales and accessories would have been included in the overall numbers of Sony's Gaming Business, so until we know that (or you maybe can tell me straight out how it is?) there's really no point in arguing over that topic. I must confess that I don't have a clue if those numbers (sw and accessories) are included, so I can't add anything further to that part of the discussion.

Yes, I must agree that in this day and age when few titles, except 1st party, is exclusive, PS wouldn't stand a chance against Wii U if it had similar specs. And since the faulty launch and over all design of the PS3 has let Xbox to get a foot hold in gaming and get established as a brand, it'll be VERY interesting to see how the PS4 will do against x3ox. I would think that whom ever has the best/most interesting USP will win that battle. Now when they seem to have about the same specs and architecture, they will need something to differentiate themselves...

PC, always PC.

I've got three GK110's on pre-order direct from the bigwigs at Nvidia once they announce the damn thing, when they go in my machine and replace the cards i have already, the next gen consoles will pale in comparison on my 4K display.

But, putting my lust for technology to one side (kind of*),

Power wise i'm going to be blunt with power/capability:

PS2 < XBOX < Wii < PS3 < WiiU < 360 < 720 < PS4 < PC*

That's basically it, if anyone wants to argue the fact, or any PS3 fans get butthurt about it being behind the WiiU, which itself is behind the 360, it's because Sony decided to force us developers to use Cell for graphical computation then throw it through RSX, because of this design choice while the console is capable of great visuals, in the right hands the WiiU can do more - just behind the 360 in raw power - if Microsoft killed the dashboard and freed up the memory and cpu cycles it uses, the WiiU wouldn't stand a chance.

Turkish said:
DanneSandin said:

The exact wording isn't as important as the fact that PS3 has lost Sony more money than they've got from it. Just take a look at one of my replies to Tachikoma; I provided her with some links showing how much Sony lost under a few years time. Granted, those links don't show the picture, since none offers facts for the last few years. But they should still offer some sort of understanding of the HUGE losses they made.

Hopefully PS4 will do a lot better than PS3, but looking at the Vita doesn't show much of an improvement...

What PS3 did has no basis on how PS4 will perform, they won't be similar. PS4 will be significantly cheaper to produce and it will cost cheaper than PS3 did thanks to a cheaper bluray drive and absence of a Cell 2. It won't make a huge loss like the PS3. Bluray players cost $1000 in 2006, Sony put a lot of money in the development of Cell. They would've learned from their mistakes. All Sony 1st parties are working on PS4 now, the system will have lots of games. (PS3 got it first system sellers in 2008.)

Saying PS4 won't be cutting edge makes 0 sense. What is cutting edge to you? Putting GTX680 in a PS4? It doesn't need it, its overkill. The rumoured components are plausible, 7970M has comparable performances to a hd7870 despite using less power.

If PS4 costs Sony 450 to make, they either sell it at that price and break even, or sell it at 500 and make profit, or sell it at 400 and take a small loss.

WiiU has no chance to win next gen, there is no hype, casuals think its an addon for the Wii. It will be a console for Nintendo fans.

I don't think I ever said that we could judge the PS4 from how the PS3 has performed. If so, please show me the sentence; I might have worded it wrong.

And I do agree that PS4 will be a great deal cheaper; never argued that either. I've said it'll probably cost $400, and that Sony will take a $50 hit at most per sold console. $50 isn't "taking a small loss" if you sell 10m PS4 and losing $50 on each sale; that's half a billion in losses. half-a-billion. Sure, they'd make up some of it with SW, but that's still pretty much money, especially for a company that don't have any money, and has lousy credit rating.

And saying the Wii U can't win next gen is like saying that PS3 wasn't going to be able to turn around and will end up dead last out of the 3 back in 2006/2007...

DanneSandin said:

Next gen consoles will be more on par with each other than Wii was to PS360. Why? Simply because PS4 won't be a major leap over WiiU. Why? Because Sony can't afford it. .

I stopped reading your allucination after seeing that. It is so wrong that there is no need to explain why. Time will tell, you'll see yourself. :p

Around the Network

This thread is starting too look way funny after the rumoured high specs of Orbis/Durango. After E3 it will be even more amazing!

Tachikoma said:
DanneSandin said:

PC, always PC.

I've got three GK110's on pre-order direct from the bigwigs at Nvidia once they announce the damn thing, when they go in my machine and replace the cards i have already, the next gen consoles will pale in comparison on my 4K display.

But, putting my lust for technology to one side (kind of*),

Power wise i'm going to be blunt with power/capability:

PS2 < XBOX < Wii < PS3 < WiiU < 360 < 720 < PS4 < PC*

That's basically it, if anyone wants to argue the fact, or any PS3 fans get butthurt about it being behind the WiiU, which itself is behind the 360, it's because Sony decided to force us developers to use Cell for graphical computation then throw it through RSX, because of this design choice while the console is capable of great visuals, in the right hands the WiiU can do more - just behind the 360 in raw power - if Microsoft killed the dashboard and freed up the memory and cpu cycles it uses, the WiiU wouldn't stand a chance.

While I have nothing at all to back my claim up, I simply can't believe Wii U will be behind the 360... XenoGame looks just as good as any late 360 game, except a few rough spots (the water edge, the grass) that I'm sure will get sorted out. And then we have to remember that Xenogame is an early game, and that things will only get better from here on. But as I said, I have nothing to back up my claim, and it seems a bit stupid arguing this with you, since you clearly have more knowledge about this.

But let's put it this way; if the PS4 is the xbox of the 6th gen, and 720 is the GC, what would the Wii U be? PS2? Dreamcast? N64?

DanneSandin said:

I don't think I ever said that we could judge the PS4 from how the PS3 has performed. If so, please show me the sentence; I might have worded it wrong.

And I do agree that PS4 will be a great deal cheaper; never argued that either. I've said it'll probably cost $400, and that Sony will take a $50 hit at most per sold console. $50 isn't "taking a small loss" if you sell 10m PS4 and losing $50 on each sale; that's half a billion in losses. half-a-billion. Sure, they'd make up some of it with SW, but that's still pretty much money, especially for a company that don't have any money, and has lousy credit rating.

And saying the Wii U can't win next gen is like saying that PS3 wasn't going to be able to turn around and will end up dead last out of the 3 back in 2006/2007...

Wrong. Sony has over 14 billion on cash reserves, twice the ammount of money Nintendo currently has. And that's down from 21 billion after the 2011-2012 losses and everyone hopes they start to profit again coming the next quarters.

It's really hard to bring a compnay down. Microsoft has $54 billion in cash reserves and there are still articles of doom. One thing to remember, specially looking at how Apple shares still manage to fall after record profits: investors are cowards. And I don't say it in a derrogatory way. Money needs to flow to where it has the most chance of prospering and that isn't among japanese companies, not with that yen. That's how ruthless capitalism works.

torok said:
This thread is starting too look way funny after the rumoured high specs of Orbis/Durango. After E3 it will be even more amazing!
Michelasso said:
DanneSandin said:

Next gen consoles will be more on par with each other than Wii was to PS360. Why? Simply because PS4 won't be a major leap over WiiU. Why? Because Sony can't afford it. .

I stopped reading your allucination after seeing that. It is so wrong that there is no need to explain why. Time will tell, you'll see yourself. :p

Yeah, I'm starting to fear I'll be served so much crow I'll choke on it... =/

haxxiy said:
DanneSandin said:

Wrong. Sony has over 14 billion on cash reserves, twice the ammount of money Nintendo currently has. And that's down from 21 billion after the 2011-2012 losses and everyone hopes they start to profit again coming the next quarters.

It's really hard to bring a compnay down. Microsoft has $54 billion in cash reserves and there are still articles of doom. One thing to remember, specially looking at how Apple shares still manage to fall after record profits: investors are cowards. And I don't say it in a derrogatory way. Money needs to flow to where it has the most chance of prospering and that isn't among japanese companies, not with that yen. That's how ruthless capitalism works.

As far as I understand it, Sony has more loans then they got assets, no?