By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - With WiiU around the corner,What are your fondest moments of the Wii.

So WiiU is coming very soon and a vast majority of Nintendo gamers will be shifting their attention to the next generation, i want to know your best Wii moments... Is it certain games that gave you the wow factor, or seeing motion control gaming for the first time etc etc here are my faves

1, Getting non gamers interested- I know a lot is made of the Wii being a bit casual blah blah blah, but one of the things that made me stand back and take notice of the Wii was when one Christmas we had a bit of a family get together. My mum, Dad , aunts and uncles were having a blast playing on Wii sports and Mario and Sonic olympics. These people normally wouldnt give a damn about games consoles, but here they were getting ultra competetive with each other, having fun, lots of laughter,and as i watched i thought wow Nintendo have really got this one spot on.

2, Mario Galaxy games- What can i say,these games are a masterpiece and full justification for owning a Wii alone. When i thought it couldnt get any better with Galaxy 1, Galaxy 2 comes along and was as good if not better than the original. With unbelievable level design the games just ooze class, and still amaze me to this day.

3, Pointer controls on fps- I know there is a divide on whether people prefer dual analouge or pointer controls, but some of my best Wii gaming moment have come from shooters that utilize the pointer controls. It just feels so natural to me and also very satifying, as it takes a good degree of skill to become proficient at this. Games like Metroid Prime 3, Goldeneye 007, COD, Medal of honor heroes 2 and even both Conduit games have great controls that just make the games so much fun to play. I play shooters on my PS3, and although they look jaw dropping, they dont have as much fun factor as the Wii shooters due to the controls.

Around the Network

My friends little sister beating the crap out of me in bowling... I have few Wii memories ;(

Twilight Princess on launch day.

* A Zelda game at launch.
* Bowling on TV using real motion controls!!!
* SSBB
* The beautiful Skyward Sword

Playing SSBB for endless hours with my son.

Nights relaxing with a drink playing Endless Ocean - gorgeous game.

Wii / Tiger Woods golfing

The visercal thrill of beating people up in Godfather (and being able to actually aim!)

Around the Network

Playing Metroid Prime 3 corruption with a hookah in my hand (tobacco only).

Here, I'll add a few more.

1) At the Arcadia festival in Montreal, seeing the Wii Kiosk and waiting in line to play Twilight Princess and Wii Sports Boxing.

2) My family would get together (all 8 of us, I have 5 siblings) to play Wii Sports, my brother Fred who doesn't play much video games wanted to play bowling and my dad wanted to play Golf. It was just a great family experience with video games, something we hadn't experienced since the NES.

3) The day I got resort, the fun of Swordfighting for the first time, it was so cool.

4) Playing Super Mario Galaxy for real, for myself, and enjoying some of the most tantalizing moments of gaming.

5) Experiencing the fun of NSMB for myself after being encouraged by some here.

6) Practicing my smash skills and setting up my wiichuck configuration to try to baffle trad cube controller players.

Later in the year I'll try to get a thread going where people can vote for their favorite Wii games (might as well do it for the DS too... but let's wait until Black/White 2 is out ). So don't worry, gamrConnect will be celebrating the Wii in style. ^_^

Anywho, here's some of my favorite Wii moments:

• The Wait: I camped out 8 hours behind a WalMart for my Wii. I was 28 out of 32 available Wiis. It was so worth it.
  • The Party Console: I've never held a Gaming Party before, but with the Wii, It wasn't hard to get one started. People just gravitated towards the console because of the great party games for the system. It started with Wii Sports, but other series such as Rabbids, Just Dance, Mario Kart, and Smash Bros. made it the console to play when groups were over. Great fun.
  • Galaxy 1&2: The two Super Mario Galaxy games are my favorite of this generation bar none. They're just incredible games with unforgettable experiences. In fact, when I ponder about my favorite game of all time, Galaxy 2 is usually one of 2 games that is at the forefront of that list. Truly incredible.
  • The wait for Smash Bros.: Nintendo created one of the craziest hype machines of all time with the Smash Bros. Dojo. I would wait up every night just to see what update it would announce. And on that one fateful night when Sonic was announced... craziness! Thankfully, the actual game delivered... but that hype was something else.
  • An Empty Wallet: I've bought more games for the Wii then I have for any other console I've ever owned. So many great games, so little time (and money).
  • Double the Zelda Goodness: Twilight Princess at launch? Yes indeed, and it was a brilliant game. Skyward Sword at the console's twilight? What a masterpiece! Zelda delivered this generation... and I can't wait for more.

Experiencing Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2. There was something special about those games.

Seeing my mum, who generally hates videogames, hooked on Animal Crossing: Let's go to the City for almost 6 months. Paying off her own mortgage, kitting out her house and then paying off mine.

1. Playing Wii Sports for the first time with my family during that memorable thanksgiving in 06. Was such a blast, and everyone in my family from my 5 year old cousin to my 80 year old grandmother thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

2. Drunken Mario kart with my friends. Needless to say I sucked, but it was still so much damn fun. There is really something special about chugging a beer and trying to delicately steer a wiimote with 11 other racers swarming around you shortly after.

3. Playing endless nights of online Dr. Mario and smash bros, and trying to make each other laugh with funny prewritten comments you could say during the game by pressing the dpad. 

4. The first time I experienced a new Donkey Kong country for the first time in over a decade. Twas a beautiful thing.

5. Laughing with my family as we created hilarious miis of everyone we knew, followed by some ridiculous racial and celeberty ones.

6. The first time I discovered the magic of homebrew ;)

7. Playing the chaos that is nsmb with my cousins and constantly yelling at each other as we frequently died.

8. Playing scene it with the family and listening to my mom get pissed off as my dad just laughed his ass off.

9. Playing xenoblade alone in the dark and becoming entranced by the beautiful Satorl Marshes and its music at night

Ahh, some good times, they will be missed..

Playing Wii sports and Raving Rabbids with friends and family.

Some of the bosses in No More Heroes were also memorable.