By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - The original Crysis: still the best looking game ever?

I think vanilla Crysis has definitely lost some of its shine, I don't think it has the best graphics and I think Crysis 2 looks better (only played on console, PC version downloading now).

As for the mod, most games tend to look better in a small Youtube window, especially with that much motion blur, I'll need to try the mod for myself first.

Around the Network
Snesboy said:
I like this thread. Please. Entertain me with more.

Video in OP looks awesome. Reminds me of when I first played Half-Life 2: Episode 2 on max settings at 900p. Just stunning. Of course that was 4 years ago. But damn, Crysis is a beautiful game and an even better benchmark ;)

Which game are you talking about? Because Crysis came out 5 years ago.

omg tads, the explosion at 1:00 of the Armaggedon video was breathtaking.

@everyone. Can someone explain how modding works? Is it the ability of the user community to add textures to objects, or is there more? Can lighting be changed, physics, reflections, models?

I was impressed by the GTAIV mod and by the "Real Life" incredible lighting mod, and even the full immersion one. So breathtaking.

Looks good, my complaint and this applies to lots of games, is when the player walks through foilage and it just sort of dissapears, it makes me feel like the plants were a hologram.

It wasn't the best looking game then, it isn't now. Maybe the modded version is.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
happydolphin said:

@everyone. Can someone explain how modding works? Is it the ability of the user community to add textures to objects, or is there more? Can lighting be changed, physics, reflections, models?

I was impressed by the GTAIV mod and by the "Real Life" incredible lighting mod, and even the full immersion one. So breathtaking.

Some games have what you call "Mod Tools", that allow the PC community to modify the game within the kit. 

I was asking what was the extent to which modding is possible.

CGI-Quality said:

Potentially my favorite vid of the game, yet:

Much prefer the look of the game in this mod/vid than the one in your first post. What Crysis pulled off was nothing short of amazing for the time. These mods that add to it are just amazing.

As for the motion blur, I can completely understand why people dislike it. It seems to be overused and I honestly don't think it adds much to the realism of a game when it's overused in the way it is in the first vid. Also, our eyes already compensate for motion blur so why add more? Just seems more irritating than realistic. Personally I think devs just like using it because it masks dropped frames slightly.

Scoobes said:

As for the motion blur, I can completely understand why people dislike it. It seems to be overused and I honestly don't think it adds much to the realism of a game when it's overused in the way it is in the first vid. Also, our eyes already compensate for motion blur so why add more? Just seems more irritating than realistic. Personally I think devs just like using it because it masks dropped frames slightly.

Well that's very likely considering some of the guys who made those videos don't own hardware quite up to date from what I saw.

Also, Shadow of the Colossus. Nuff said.

OT - that kinda made me want replay Crysis....

happydolphin said:
CGI-Quality said:
happydolphin said:

Some games have what you call "Mod Tools", that allow the PC community to modify the game within the kit. 

I was asking what was the extent to which modding is possible.

In theory, virtually anything is possible if the mod tools are available. I imagine it would be difficult to add in new features at an engine level though (e.g. it would be difficult to mod in completely new effects like tessellation into Cryengine2... unless someone's done this already , or trying to add full physics support into an Unreal Engine 1 game), but if the engine already supports the features then I think they can be repurposed in different areas or enhanced in others.

Obviously most engines support the use of higher res textures and that tends to be what a lot of graphics mods start out on but it depends heavily on what the mod tools are capable of and support.

brendude13 said:
I think vanilla Crysis has definitely lost some of its shine, I don't think it has the best graphics and I think Crysis 2 looks better (only played on console, PC version downloading now).

As for the mod, most games tend to look better in a small Youtube window, especially with that much motion blur, I'll need to try the mod for myself first.

You can watch them at 1080 and full screen but obviously the bitrate is low and they'll look worse then they actually are.