By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - How do you feel about the performance of the VGChartz mod team?

How is the VGChartz mod team doing?

It's doing a great job. 299 32.97%

It's doing okay. 143 15.77%

It's not doing well. 432 47.63%

Total:874

Poor tbone... I really don't want to see him get perma'd!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:

Edit: Cone =

Ha! This time the moderator has beaten you to doing moderator-y stuff!

And noone wants to see tbone permabanned, or banned at all really. But he's still gotta stick to the rules.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

GamechaserBE said:
VanceIX said:
GamechaserBE said:
I feel like the mods are way to soft and it is annoying because people are getting banned and banned over and over again and are allowed to come back...Those people are the kind of members who make communities look bad..

is this because vgchartz would lose many members and would be very slow/and small (community wise)?

It's not the mods that are soft, it's the loopholes in the website coding that allow people to keep coming back. For example, people can keep creating accounts with the same email address.

The mods themselves are actually pretty good at what they do, which is why this is a much better community than some other websites. There are still the annoying f*nboys, but those exist everywhere, and at least they can't be blatantly disrespectful here.

I have no problem with the loopholes.... I have problems with the member who are +20 times banned and are still active with their account on this site... Not going to name those people...     The ones who come back with a different account get swiftly banned so that is fine for me...

So... You are saying we should just ban members like carl, rolstoppable, kirby, spurgeonryan, etc.?  

I think carl is a good example of why they dont.  People can change, Carl had a lot of problems with mkderation for like a 2 year stretch, but he calmed down and now he is a mod...

I'd like to post a message I sent to a mod who unfairly banned me for a reason he cant even justify (since he used the infamous get out of jail card word 'trolling')

""""Do you mods get out much? That was clearly a joke, and if it did somehow cause offence, wouldnt it be more sensible to tell me to remove it instead of continuously resorting to the ban button.
So far i've been banned for voicing my opinion on Israel in an israel-gaza thread, An apparent insult in which a mod apologised for banning me and reduced the ban days to 1 day from 3, and now for a clear joke.
Lighten up a bit, vgc aint some professional industry forum. We're a group a gamers, who love to talk and tease.
And the word 'troll' can be thrown out so much by you guys when you don't even have a real reason for a ban. Lighten up a bit and moderate the forums, dont just press ban on everything that displeases you.
You couldve posted in the forum if anything you found that offensive. But if a mod finds something unfunny or offensive then he just bans doesnt he? and then says 'trolling' because lets be honest, there's no actual real word to be used here.""""

Ban was for a joke, no chance was given to remove, and even still mod flexed his ban button skills when there were other ways to deal with it.
And I only wrote that much because for what it's worth I enjoy this site more than other gaming sites, since the forefront of news is in the forum posts, so opens up discussions amongst gamers. Mods do not moderate forums, they ban, afaict.

fireburn95 said:

I'd like to post a message I sent to a mod who unfairly banned me for a reason he cant even justify (since he used the infamous get out of jail card word 'trolling')

""""Do you mods get out much? That was clearly a joke, and if it did somehow cause offence, wouldnt it be more sensible to tell me to remove it instead of continuously resorting to the ban button.
So far i've been banned for voicing my opinion on Israel in an israel-gaza thread, An apparent insult in which a mod apologised for banning me and reduced the ban days to 1 day from 3, and now for a clear joke.
Lighten up a bit, vgc aint some professional industry forum. We're a group a gamers, who love to talk and tease.
And the word 'troll' can be thrown out so much by you guys when you don't even have a real reason for a ban. Lighten up a bit and moderate the forums, dont just press ban on everything that displeases you.
You couldve posted in the forum if anything you found that offensive. But if a mod finds something unfunny or offensive then he just bans doesnt he? and then says 'trolling' because lets be honest, there's no actual real word to be used here.""""

Ban was for a joke, no chance was given to remove, and even still mod flexed his ban button skills when there were other ways to deal with it.
And I only wrote that much because for what it's worth I enjoy this site more than other gaming sites, since the forefront of news is in the forum posts, so opens up discussions amongst gamers. Mods do not moderate forums, they ban, afaict.

You're referring to this post, correct?

Kresnik is correct with what he said. You posted a "joke" but it's still against the rules and not a very good one. You're suggesting the Xbox One doesn't have any exclusives in a thread about the loss of an Xbox One exclusives. How do you think that would look? Why did you think it was a good idea? Why should we allow people to get away with comments which are against the rules? Just don't break them.

It's all context, and in this case it's not a good joke. It's just trolling, as the ban description suggested.

Also there have been countless incidents where a moderator hasn't moderated and taken other actions; be it a PM or a post in the thread or something else. Such sweeping generalizations are not useful!

Around the Network
Conegamer said:
fireburn95 said:

You're referring to this post, correct?

Kresnik is correct with what he said. You posted a "joke" but it's still against the rules and not a very good one. You're suggesting the Xbox One doesn't have any exclusives in a thread about the loss of an Xbox One exclusives. How do you think that would look? Why did you think it was a good idea?

It's all context, and in this case it's not a good joke. It's just trolling, as the ban description suggested.

Also there have been countless incidents where a moderator hasn't moderated and taken other actions; be it a PM or a post in the thread or something else. Such sweeping generalizations are not useful!

Well not based on what i've seen.

Even if that was trolling, of which I extremely disagree with, a simple post telling me off could've sufficed.

And well its your opinion that it wasnt funny, not a fact, i thought it was funny, as a clear reference to the loss of another exclusive.

But a mod could've straight up said, I think that will offend people and is trolling or whatever made up word you wanna use.

Then I could have removed it, or put it as a reply post.

And dont bs me that mods in this forum moderate. It's always a straight up ban or warning.

A mod previously banned me for using the word 'stupid' thinking it was directed at someone, but I proved him wrong. But when you immediately jump to a ban, and lets say you're mistaken, you're not even allowed to send a message and appeal. The mod apologised and reduced the ban times from 3 to 1, AFTER I had done a 3 day ban.

In other forum sites, or messaging boards, mods go into forums to engage in discussion along with other ppl. If they spot something off, they'll send a message first, unless the offence is soo blatantly obvious. 

I didnt say 'LOOL XBOX HAS NO GAMES' I said a 1 lined joke that could have been easily deleted in seconds if someone complained. I have seen other threads comment on the same topic in humorous forms.

Admit it, the mods, or at least a lot of them, are out on a ban hunt at the slightest of thing. Moderating means sending a message to someone saying this is innapropraite, or this can offend a group of 'israelis' from vgchartz. But instead its a ban.

So I know i'll prob get banned again for saying this, but in reply to the 'title', they are not good at all, at least compared to other video game sites/forums/boards.

Can someone please tell me why this user got moderated for using the term " Micro$oft", when many users use that term and the term " M$" just fine?? :S

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

AZWification said:

Can someone please tell me why this user got moderated for using the term " Micro$oft", when many users use that term and the term " M$" just fine?? :S

I've seen others banned for M$ before. It probably depends on the context of the post, as if the rest of the post is pretty trollish or if the post was mostly fine other than the M$. No clue what the post was though, without that it's hard to make any deductions.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

AZWification said:

M$ isn't acceptable either. 

Also to answer your question cycychris, in other incidents posts have been edited and comments removed; an awful lot of people get PM's and warnings (in and out of threads) rather than jumping to bans; but we use a progressive moderation system. So it goes warning --> 1 day --> 3 days --> 5 days --> ... --> Permaban. We can "skip" steps for a particularly large offense, but you don't go down at all (well, very rarely). Someone who was on a 20 day ban could get a 30 day ban and a perma warning whereas another user would get a warning. That's how a progressive system works, and why it looks on the outside that some users are treated more/less harshly than others, because they don't have all the details. If you check that very same thread you'll see examples of this system at work.

After a set period of time, say 6 months, then it's unlikely you'll go up another level in the moderation standings; perhaps even going down a level. However the mod history is not ignored, far from it. But as for this post, I've already explained the reasoning. Just because something could be used as a joke, doesn't mean it isn't breaking the rules. How many people would you wager could just claim it's a "joke" rather than being offensive? A lot of people, no doubt. If you break a rule and you've already been moderated, you go up another level 85-90% of the time. That's just how the system works.

I have never, ever seen anyone be moderated for using M$ or Micro$oft until I saw that post. Flaming too?