By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Nintendrone: Can Microsoft and Sony Compete With The Wii U?

Vinniegambini said:
These are biased and very pro-nintendo statements. How about we look deeper and put some validity into them:

1. Nintendo's demographic

Firstly, Nintendo has a different demographic and market than Sony and Xbox 360. Consequently, one's arguments between Nintendo and its competitors are not valid as they are competing for a different market share. Nintendo's market is geared towards the casual gamers, and individuals between the ages of 5-18 and have done so since the N64 era. Nintendo's IP's such as Pokemon, Mario, Kirby, Donkey Kong and so forth are commonly known by kids. As a result, one can argue, that Nintendo heavily markets their products for that demographic. Hence, it is the Disney of Video Games. Xbox 360 tried to penetrate that market with the Kinnect but failed to have a lasting impact due to Nintendo's strong footing in that area.

However, in the fields where Nintendo lacks (online gaming and 'core-gamers'), Sony and Microsoft cover-up splendidly. Microsoft and Sony boasts some of the strongest IP's for that market; Halo, God of War, and Uncharted comes to mind. Nintendo is trying to gain some footing in that area but as Iwata mentioned in a Q&A, it cannot be done overnight as their competitors have had several years to do so.

2. The Winner of the Next-Generation

It is hard to judge if the Wii U will be able to repeat the same success of the Wii. In my honest opinion, I believe so as they are laying the same strategy as they did for the Wii, a casual market. 'Core-gamers', as so they claim, have always looked to Sony and Microsoft, and will continue to do so until proven otherwise. Nevertheless, for the last decade, Nintendo has had the largest market share in hardware and software sales and this will remain the same throughout the next generation with the 3DS and Wii U.

In the end, Sony and Microsoft will never be able to compete with Nintendo for the casual market and the 5-18 demographic as they lack the IP's that are associated with it. Nonetheless, Nintendo will have much difficulty to penetrate the 'core-market' as they lack the IP's and the fact that core-gamers in general, usually associate that market to Sony and Microsoft.

1.  Are we talking about the demographics that they're targeting, or the demographic they're succeeding in?  Because it's hard to argue that Microsoft isn't targeting the casual demographic.  Usher at E3?  Dance Central?  Kinectimals?  Refusing to allow Rare to make mature games?  Smart glass?  Wreckateer?  Microsoft's target demographic has shifted.  You could say the same with Sony.  Move?  All Star Battle Royale?  Wonderbook?  Sports Champions?  Carnival Island?  Everybody Dance?  Sony hasn't gone as casual as M$ but they're still plenty casual.

And it makes sense.  The casual market is far larger than the hardcore market.  It's important to have a decent following among the hardcore, but ultimately, the casual market will determine success more than hardcore gamer.

2.  If that's the case, you seem to agree with the article for the most part.  Nintendo will still lead the market, and Sony and Microsoft will lag behind.  That was basically the gist of the article.

Here's the question though.  Who will have more success breaking out of their shell.  Will Microsoft/Sony have more success appealing to the casual market, or will Nintendo have more success breaking into the hardcore market?  I think that hardcore gamers are by definition more likely to try out a new product, and I think that Nintendo WILL have many of the biggest "hardcore" franchises such as Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty.  If this is the case, I think Nintendo can pick up many 'core' gamers who don't have a firm hardware allegiance.  I don't think they'll be the dominant force in hardcore gaming, but they'll gain more hardcore fans than Microsoft/Sony will gain casual fans.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
Vinniegambini said:
These are biased and very pro-nintendo statements. How about we look deeper and put some validity into them:

1. Nintendo's demographic

Firstly, Nintendo has a different demographic and market than Sony and Xbox 360. Consequently, one's arguments between Nintendo and its competitors are not valid as they are competing for a different market share. Nintendo's market is geared towards the casual gamers, and individuals between the ages of 5-18 and have done so since the N64 era. Nintendo's IP's such as Pokemon, Mario, Kirby, Donkey Kong and so forth are commonly known by kids. As a result, one can argue, that Nintendo heavily markets their products for that demographic. Hence, it is the Disney of Video Games. Xbox 360 tried to penetrate that market with the Kinnect but failed to have a lasting impact due to Nintendo's strong footing in that area.

However, in the fields where Nintendo lacks (online gaming and 'core-gamers'), Sony and Microsoft cover-up splendidly. Microsoft and Sony boasts some of the strongest IP's for that market; Halo, God of War, and Uncharted comes to mind. Nintendo is trying to gain some footing in that area but as Iwata mentioned in a Q&A, it cannot be done overnight as their competitors have had several years to do so.

2. The Winner of the Next-Generation

It is hard to judge if the Wii U will be able to repeat the same success of the Wii. In my honest opinion, I believe so as they are laying the same strategy as they did for the Wii, a casual market. 'Core-gamers', as so they claim, have always looked to Sony and Microsoft, and will continue to do so until proven otherwise. Nevertheless, for the last decade, Nintendo has had the largest market share in hardware and software sales and this will remain the same throughout the next generation with the 3DS and Wii U.

In the end, Sony and Microsoft will never be able to compete with Nintendo for the casual market and the 5-18 demographic as they lack the IP's that are associated with it. Nonetheless, Nintendo will have much difficulty to penetrate the 'core-market' as they lack the IP's and the fact that core-gamers in general, usually associate that market to Sony and Microsoft.

1.  Are we talking about the demographics that they're targeting, or the demographic they're succeeding in?  Because it's hard to argue that Microsoft isn't targeting the casual demographic.  Usher at E3?  Dance Central?  Kinectimals?  Refusing to allow Rare to make mature games?  Smart glass?  Wreckateer?  Microsoft's target demographic has shifted.  You could say the same with Sony.  Move?  All Star Battle Royale?  Wonderbook?  Sports Champions?  Carnival Island?  Everybody Dance?  Sony hasn't gone as casual as M$ but they're still plenty casual.

And it makes sense.  The casual market is far larger than the hardcore market.  It's important to have a decent following among the hardcore, but ultimately, the casual market will determine success more than hardcore gamer.

2.  If that's the case, you seem to agree with the article for the most part.  Nintendo will still lead the market, and Sony and Microsoft will lag behind.  That was basically the gist of the article.

Here's the question though.  Who will have more success breaking out of their shell.  Will Microsoft/Sony have more success appealing to the casual market, or will Nintendo have more success breaking into the hardcore market?  I think that hardcore gamers are by definition more likely to try out a new product, and I think that Nintendo WILL have many of the biggest "hardcore" franchises such as Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty.  If this is the case, I think Nintendo can pick up many 'core' gamers who don't have a firm hardware allegiance.  I don't think they'll be the dominant force in hardcore gaming, but they'll gain more hardcore fans than Microsoft/Sony will gain casual fans.

The point I was trying to make (maybe poorly worded on my end) is that Nintendo has a strong market dominance in the casual market as they have the IP's associated with that genre. Furthermore, it does help that these IP's span more than a few decades. Microsoft and Sony has tried to enter that market but both companies have been unsuccessful due to Nintendo's strong footing in that area. 

My statement is that Nintendo is in a category by itself (casual gamers) as Microsoft and Sony are usually associated  with the hard-core market; hence the discrepancy between the hardware sales between Nintendo and its competitors. Consequently, I don't believe it is right to compare them on the same level as they compete for different market share.

However, you are right, going forward I believe Nintendo will still be the dominant player due to the 3DS handheld and the Wii U which are both targeting casual gamers in a broader sense. However, as we have seen from the announcements made by third party publishers, their are hard-core games coming to the Wii U. I hope they do hop the wagon and come to the Wii U but Microsoft and Sony fans will always remain to their beloved platform claiming that their console is the best and targeted to the hardcore. Some things never changes.

3DS targeted to the casual market? Really?..... Nintendo has something that the other 2 don't have, important franchises, probably Halo being the exception, but ppl don't realize that Nintendo built such a strong market w the Wii and now they are going for a market that they also built but couldn't keep cause of the lack of support! They started w 3DS and Munster Hunter 4, that was one strong punch on Sony's face that I don't see how they are gonna recover w/o giving a bunch of money, we have yet to see what WiiU is capable to do and September 13th is gonna be the first real chance! The question is if Sony is able to compete in such bad shape it is financially...

Vinniegambini said:

The point I was trying to make (maybe poorly worded on my end) is that Nintendo has a strong market dominance in the casual market as they have the IP's associated with that genre. Furthermore, it does help that these IP's span more than a few decades. Microsoft and Sony has tried to enter that market but both companies have been unsuccessful due to Nintendo's strong footing in that area. 

My statement is that Nintendo is in a category by itself (casual gamers) as Microsoft and Sony are usually associated  with the hard-core market; hence the discrepancy between the hardware sales between Nintendo and its competitors. Consequently, I don't believe it is right to compare them on the same level as they compete for different market share.

However, you are right, going forward I believe Nintendo will still be the dominant player due to the 3DS handheld and the Wii U which are both targeting casual gamers in a broader sense. However, as we have seen from the announcements made by third party publishers, their are hard-core games coming to the Wii U. I hope they do hop the wagon and come to the Wii U but Microsoft and Sony fans will always remain to their beloved platform claiming that their console is the best and targeted to the hardcore. Some things never changes.

I agree with you on all but one thing.  I agree that Microsoft and Sony are strong in one sector while Nintendo is strong in another.

However, I don't think it's correct to say that they "compete for a different market share".  I don't think that Nintendo is intentionally ignoring the hardcore market.  I just don't think they've been very good at appealing to it this past generation.  By the same token, I don't believe that Sony and Microsoft aren't competing for the casual sector.  They're clearly trying to compete, but they're just not succeeding.

Ultimately, each company is aiming to get their console and games into the hands of as many gamers as possible.  Because that is their goal, I think it's fair to compare how well they achieve them.

JWeinCom said:
Vinniegambini said:

I agree with you on all but one thing.  I agree that Microsoft and Sony are strong in one sector while Nintendo is strong in another.

However, I don't think it's correct to say that they "compete for a different market share".  I don't think that Nintendo is intentionally ignoring the hardcore market.  I just don't think they've been very good at appealing to it this past generation.  By the same token, I don't believe that Sony and Microsoft aren't competing for the casual sector.  They're clearly trying to compete, but they're just not succeeding.

Ultimately, each company is aiming to get their console and games into the hands of as many gamers as possible.  Because that is their goal, I think it's fair to compare how well they achieve them.

Like I mentioned on my previous post:  ''Microsoft and Sony has tried to enter that market but both companies have been unsuccessful due to Nintendo's strong footing in that area.'' They tried to compete, however they do not boast the franchises that support or that are needed for that the market. Hence, their unsuccessful venture. 

If we base our analysis on each company aiming to attracting more consumers to their platforms as you have mentioned, than yes, we would be able to compare and act consequently; however, I still believe in my thesis of different market shares between Nintentdo and its competitors.  We are going to have to agree to disagree on that one. 

Nevertheless, as a shareholder of Nintendo and a gamer, I am excited to see the presentation of Nintendo about the Wii U coming shortly. It will be an eye opener to many. Let us hope it will be a success and that it will revolutionize gaming once more. 

Around the Network
Vinniegambini said:
JWeinCom said:
Vinniegambini said:

Like I mentioned on my previous post:  ''Microsoft and Sony has tried to enter that market but both companies have been unsuccessful due to Nintendo's strong footing in that area.'' They tried to compete, however they do not boast the franchises that support or that are needed for that the market. Hence, their unsuccessful venture. 

If we base our analysis on each company aiming to attracting more consumers to their platforms as you have mentioned, than yes, we would be able to compare and act consequently; however, I still believe in my thesis of different market shares between Nintentdo and its competitors.  We are going to have to agree to disagree on that one. 

Nevertheless, as a shareholder of Nintendo and a gamer, I am excited to see the presentation of Nintendo about the Wii U coming shortly. It will be an eye opener to many. Let us hope it will be a success and that it will revolutionize gaming once more. 

Sounds like a plan.

There's some people here thats going to be shocked after nintendeo settles back in 3rd place one more.

Mmmfishtacos said:
There's some people here thats going to be shocked after Sony settles back in 3rd place one more.

There fixed that for you. The biggest thing I always see when it comes to gaming as of late are people underestimating Nintendo and people being completely oblivious to Sony's financial situation.

Wow... I expected legitimate reasons.

Yay!!!

What really strikes me isn't the article/column by itself - it's all the answers by ya'll here on VGC.

"Oh man, this article is so bias! Such pro-nintendo talk is offensive!" - I see several people say. But none of you never ever say that a "Nintendo is d00med" article is biased against Nintendo. I'm so sick of that mentality!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.