By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Products Represent 70% of Entire Japanese Game Market ~ How do you feel about that number?

I'm waiting to see what the doomsayers have to say to this. It should be interesting.

NIntendo is having record success yet all I here is negativity.

As far as the 360 in Japan goes. Microsoft just does not know when to give up. They couldn't make that thing a hit in Japan even if they payed gamers to play it. They don't want it.

Around the Network
lilbroex said:

I'm waiting to see what the doomsayers have to say to this. It should be interesting.

Something about the PS4, Japan being irrelevant, and smartphones.

Love and tolerate.

Now, try to imagine their market share after the Wii U release! :O

Things are definitely looking up for Nintendo.

lilbroex said:

As far as the 360 in Japan goes. Microsoft just does not know when to give up. They couldn't make that thing a hit in Japan even if they payed gamers to play it. They don't want it.

I'm not a doomsayer; in fact, I'm as far from it as is possible. Nevertheless, Nintendo's domination seems unfortunately limited to Japan. Its recent numbers in other places like the US and UK have been extremely mediocre. Things haven't been too rosy on the financial side either. I'd say there's plenty of justification for negativity and using these numbers to justify things being wonderful for Nintendo is just cherry-picking.

That said, it's not as if anyone else in the industry is doing very well right now so the proportion of Nintendo negativity is definitely absurd.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

The time is ripe for the Wii U to take Japan in an iron grip. Nintendo has to make the most of this opportunity.

The Wii and DS are fading away so all this is attributable to the 3DS. Nintendo should have a monstrous holiday season in Japan.

Around the Network

I find this number absurd.
It just goes to show what happens when third parties refuse to acknowledge the undisputed leader of a console generation: Their software becomes marginalized by first party offerings...

Until you've played it, every game is a system seller!

the original trolls

Wii FC: 4810 9420 3131 7558
MHTri: name=BOo BoO/ID=BZBLEX/region=US

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

Official Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

gumby_trucker said:
I find this number absurd.
It just goes to show what happens when third parties refuse to acknowledge the undisputed leader of a console generation: Their software becomes marginalized by first party offerings...

"Roughly 70 percent of all videogame software and hardware sales in Japan are for Nintendo platforms at present"

Considering the wording, I believe this includes third-party title sales on Nintendo platforms as well.

How do you feel about that number?
pretty indiferent since im not japanese

Nintendo doesn't stray from what their market wants. This will always help them. Sony needs to understand this in order to not let Japan slip from their grasp. They already have an advantage just by being Japanese.

lilbroex said:

I think Microsoft has given up on Japan a long time ago, they are just still selling their initial shipment^^

Considering Nintendos mediocre success in the west: I think Nintendo doesn't really care about that right now since the exchange rates are most unfortunate for international business right now. I'm pretty sure Sony would love to trade positions and rather be super successful at home rather than overseas and having to worry about exchange rates all the time. It's true that Nintendo needs to step up in the west but there is no real incentive to do so right now. Their target is to get back to black right now and pushing europe or america is not really a viable strategy right now for them.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.