By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Products Represent 70% of Entire Japanese Game Market ~ How do you feel about that number?

the2real4mafol said:
TWRoO said:
the2real4mafol said:
DaRev said:

Even without the 3DS, Nintendo sales would still be as high because the DS was the best selling hardware in Japan for years on end.

Cleverly what Nintendo has done is two have to versions of the same system, in the 3DS and 3DS XL, available for consumers. While the PSP and Vita are cannibalising each others market share, never mind having to compete against the 3DS. Plus, because the Vita is seen as a handheld PS3, its sales are further cannibalised by the PS3!

Nintendo just has to sit back and collect the market share, 70% and counting.

They sell because Nintendo released the same thing multiple times and for some reason, people just bought it. It's similiar to Apple, where they release an iPhone and sell really well, and then a new one comes out next year, and it does just as well. It's a quite clever tactic from both companies. It's something sony isn't able to do 

PSone, PS2slim, PSP 1000-4000 & Go, and PS3 is supposedly about to have it's third major revision (well, ignoring the early model differences like taking out the emotion engine)

I'd say Sony is better than Nintendo with selling the same thing twice for home consoles... They don't seem to have managed the same kind of success for PSP though.

For DS I think the DS-lite and DSi models were a good idea, I wouldn't say they were milking it like Apple is. I will agree I think the 3DSXL is a little early, but ultimately it is not meant to be a replacement model like the others, but is a larger option model (I still don't see the appeal of the XL or the DSiLL models over the smaller versions myself, to me it makes them less portable with little other advantages, but they still aren't really replacements)

What i'm saying is that Nintendo and Apple are able to re-release something and make it sell very well, while Sony seems to struggle to do that

And again I point to PSone, PS2slim and PS3slim, which many people purchased despite already having the earlier model consoles. ie a similar situation to GB Pocket, GBA:SP, DSlite & DSi.

I think the 3DSXL (and the DSiLL) are in slightly different situations, as they are sold as alternative larger versions and not as replacement models (kind of like selling a 15" and 17" version of the same laptop) Although yes I think some people (certainly some on this forum) probably are buying them to replace the smaller 3DS they have already.

Really the only reason Sony haven't had much success with handheld revisions is that the only one they put serious effort into was the PSPGo, which while I think it was a good redesign, the fact you couldn't play the PSP games you may already have bought on it means it's not a very good replacement model.

Around the Network

This happened because Sony keeps making their platforms too expensive. Vita's library appeals more to the west as well. It needs some JRPGs I guess.

Either way, I don't really care. Games expected to only do well in Japan will be on Nintendo platforms. However, Nintendo won't be the focus for games popular in the west.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
This happened because Sony keeps making their platforms too expensive. Vita's library appeals more to the west as well. It needs some JRPGs I guess.

Either way, I don't really care. Games expected to only do well in Japan will be on Nintendo platforms. However, Nintendo won't be the focus for games popular in the west.

the 3DS got Monster Hunter 4!! this franchise saved the PSP in Japan, and it would likely do the same if it came out on vita too. Monster Hunter is like Japan's call of duty, it's just huge over there. The fact, the 3DS got monster hunter means, that it would do very well

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

the2real4mafol said:
Mr Puggsly said:

the 3DS got Monster Hunter 4!! this franchise saved the PSP in Japan, and it would likely do the same if it came out on vita too. Monster Hunter is like Japan's call of duty, it's just huge over there. The fact, the 3DS got monster hunter means, that it would do very well

MH certainly gave PSP sales a boost in Japan, but it didn't save the PSP.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
the2real4mafol said:
Mr Puggsly said:

If the PSP was dying (when they were released), then there would no way that each monster hunter sold so much, Monster Hunter Portable 3 sold over 4 million copies, for example. it was popular in Japan, and so was the PSP. The west is different (psp didn't do so well), but this thread is taking about Japan only

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Around the Network
the2real4mafol said:
Mr Puggsly said:
the2real4mafol said:
Mr Puggsly said:

If the PSP was dying (when they were released), then there would no way that each monster hunter sold so much, Monster Hunter Portable 3 sold over 4 million copies, for example. it was popular in Japan, and so was the PSP. The west is different (psp didn't do so well), but this thread is taking about Japan only

Right, MH didn't single handedly keep PSP alive in Japan. It certainly helped, but there are a ton of other games that also helped keep PSP sales strong in Japan.

Recently Completed