By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Products Represent 70% of Entire Japanese Game Market ~ How do you feel about that number?

jayson1 said:
Xbox 360 sales in united states this week 57k?

I really think that Microsofts xbox sales numbers in the US are not accurate. I mean they never change week after week. The xbox 360 is 40 k 50k all the time ,that cant be accurate. I have not seen the xbox 360 console below 30 k in the US ever since i came on this site. With this economy people dont have jobs I dont get it. The ps3 you see go up and down in all countries but Xbox 360 sales stay the same in the US. I just cant believe thats true. They have no games coming out during these past 5 6 months yet its flying off the shelf.Scratching shaking my head.
How are these numbers possble? I look on craigslist and people are begging for jobs. You go to craigslist and there are a ton of people selling xbox 360's or wanting to trade for ps3 some selling ps3's also. I go to the pawn shop there are more 360s than ps3's in the pawn shop. How is 360 maintaining these numbers month in and month out?

Those are considered bad numbers, you know? All system (minus 3DS) are down by quite a lot in the US.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Nintendo should try to squeeze Sony out entirely. They need all the marketshare they can get and Japan while not the market it used to be can still be profitable, especially now given the yen/dollar fluctuations.

A lot of these big Japanese developers are just floundering too, if I'm Nintendo I'd quietly start investing in more of these studios for dirt cheap (ie: Platinum Games as an example, if P-100 turns out great, I'd scoop them up or at least contract them to Nintendo-only work).

They have a little bit of an opening with the Wii U I think to make the Wii U the platform the Wii wasn't (the PSP instead became the no.2 platform in Japan). If they can create a 3DS/Wii U ecosystem for Japan that'd be a big win for them I think.

Nintendo can't squeeze out Sony. Sony provides the games Nintendo doesn't want to make. The problem is Sony had been pandering to the west all gen. Next gen they need to make games for both the west and the east. Most Nintendo products are made with eastern casual sensibility so westerners eat it up. Its harder for Sony since they attract a more mature audience.

How do I feel? Sad that that isn't the case here :P

Nintendo deserves to be ontop, with a few more console exclusives, and some third party support, I think Wii U can be ontop. I wish Sony had a stronger share in Japan, but I'm glad Nintendo is so dominant in this field. It's the smallest company, with the smallest research budget, and the oldest and most respected. It deserves first, and needs the money generated from sales the most.

Now I only how Square Enix returns to Nintendo making Final Fantasy exclusives and other JRPG's so we can relive the good old days of the SNES.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

impressive, it's sad that the market is shrinking tho
But I guess consoles are shrinking everywhere

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

lilbroex said:
Chandler said:
lilbroex said:
Chandler said:
lilbroex said:

I'm waiting to see what the doomsayers have to say to this. It should be interesting.

NIntendo is having record success yet all I here is negativity.

As far as the 360 in Japan goes. Microsoft just does not know when to give up. They couldn't make that thing a hit in Japan even if they payed gamers to play it. They don't want it.

I think Microsoft has given up on Japan a long time ago, they are just still selling their initial shipment^^

Considering Nintendos mediocre success in the west: I think Nintendo doesn't really care about that right now since the exchange rates are most unfortunate for international business right now. I'm pretty sure Sony would love to trade positions and rather be super successful at home rather than overseas and having to worry about exchange rates all the time. It's true that Nintendo needs to step up in the west but there is no real incentive to do so right now. Their target is to get back to black right now and pushing europe or america is not really a viable strategy right now for them.

Mediocre? Nintendo had more success in the west than anywhere else. It has only been since they announced the Wii U and stopped putting effort into the Wii that their sells have slipped over here.

Even with their own lack of support, they have still held the majority of top 10 and number 1 games with hardly a break.

Heck, just go to the front page and look at the sales charts. Look at the sells of multi plats like Skylanders and Lego Batman 2. Nintendo is still making a killing.

I was talking about the situation right now. Nintendos sales in the west are mediocre.

Nintendo is number 1 in Europe and Japan by a huge margin. Its number 3 in the U.S. with it being behind by only a small margin.

How is that mediocre?

Because right now Nintendos numbers are temporarily inflated due to new hardware.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Around the Network
FrancisNobleman said:
Just wait for the Wiiu to release there.

It will get close to 90%

Maybe for the odd week like Wii U launch... but 90% (of both software and hardware sales) will be ridiculously hard to accomplish once launch sales settle down. Combined PS sales are doing around 35-40k per week, Nintendo would need to be selling 270-360k per week to manage 90% of the hardware market, even in 2007 (Wii's best yearand DS 2nd best year in Japan) the yearly average weekly sales were only about 210-215k and that includes holiday sales (which is where the PS family sales would also increase over the 35-40k per week)

Basically to cut non-Nintendo marketshare down to 1/3rd of what it was, Nintendo has to sell 3 times as much.

lilbroex said:
Chandler said:
lilbroex said:

Mediocre? Nintendo had more success in the west than anywhere else. It has only been since they announced the Wii U and stopped putting effort into the Wii that their sells have slipped over here.

Even with their own lack of support, they have still held the majority of top 10 and number 1 games with hardly a break.

Heck, just go to the front page and look at the sales charts. Look at the sells of multi plats like Skylanders and Lego Batman 2. Nintendo is still making a killing.

I was talking about the situation right now. Nintendos sales in the west are mediocre.

Nintendo is number 1 in Europe and Japan by a huge margin. Its number 3 in the U.S. with it being behind by only a small margin.

How is that mediocre?

Well Nintendo is actually number 1 in Americas... 3DS + DS + Wii are selling more than either X360 or the combined PS total.... and actually the same is true of software looking at the USA weekly chart.

USA HW:
37% Nintendo
32% XB
31% PS

USA SW:
37% Nintendo
33% XB
30% PS

Europe HW:
52% Nintendo
33% PS
15% XB

Europe SW:
35% Nintendo
35% PS
29% XB

Japan HW:
74% Nintendo
26% PS
0.5% XB

Japan SW:
67% Nintendo
31% PS
2% XB

But but... Nintendo is doooomed !!!

Sry, I had to do it.

TWRoO said:
lilbroex said:
Chandler said:
lilbroex said:

How is that mediocre?

Well Nintendo is actually number 1 in Americas... 3DS + DS + Wii are selling more than either X360 or the combined PS total.... and actually the same is true of software looking at the USA weekly chart.

USA HW:
37% Nintendo
32% XB
31% PS

USA SW:
37% Nintendo
33% XB
30% PS

Europe HW:
52% Nintendo
33% PS
15% XB

Europe SW:
35% Nintendo
35% PS
29% XB

Japan HW:
74% Nintendo
26% PS
0.5% XB

Japan SW:
67% Nintendo
31% PS
2% XB

This is true. You can't dispute the facts.

It simply speaks volume to the fact that surely, Nintendo is doing something right not only in content but their business practices as well.