By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Is there only a threat of Civil War of Obama gets reelected?

^ that's always the case. If it worked everytime we wouldn't have revolutions or secessions anywhere in the world. Keep in mind that the army is composed of people who get paid, who have fears and desires, who will be uncomfortable fighting their own etc.

OT - Not yet I think, but personally - as I've already said - the things on the USA seem to be going that way. I don't think reelecting Obama is going to be enough to trigger anything close to a civil war. Such extreme events need a bit more fuel than that. It needs a final sledgehammer, such as a very bad economic collapse, and then a single, isolated event to trigger it. 

Right now, despite the reports of recovery some might have been misled to believe, the economy has never been that bad. The money simply isn't flowing anymore:

What is holding the american economy on its feet? Maybe the same reason Japan hasn't collapsed yet: floating debt and rampant speculation... I don't know, take your picks. But the situation is that of a house of cards. A single blow to its fragile structure and it could collapse. A hyperinflation could very well start in some months. Who knows. 

The rest, as they say, is the unthinkable. History is filled with stuff that never would happen.

Would a civil war succeed? I think so.  China and Russia, besides using the opportunity to seize Belarus, Taiwan etc., are probably going to support the rebel cause. An United States divided in two, three nations at attrition among themselves are much less of a world power. 

Around the Network

Westside fools, we be smaken ass of hoes and rolling in the green, packing heat. East side fools better watch their step come this election.

Also, despite claims to the otherwise. Mitt Romney is actually a boring middle ground president who likely wouldn't end up doing much if anything to annoy democrats too badly.

I actually don't see his presidency going much differently the Obama's presidency.

chocoloco said:
Westside fools, we be smaken ass of hoes and rolling in the green, packing heat. East side fools better watch their step come this election.

A second Bear Flag revolt?

http://www.vom.com/bearflag/revolt.html

If only it were that easy

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I don't know why anyone would resist it. I wouldn't mind splitting into two countries. One country where everyone lives as though it's still 1870, and one in which the year is 2012. I don't care what happens to the economy, I don't want any part of those "traditional values."

Around the Network

If there's a civil war in this country, it won't be along party lines, but class lines. Might be the thing that ironically brings people together at some point.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

If only everyone can agree, but le shit we cannot.

badgenome said:
theprof00 said:
What happened to secession? I'd prefer they secede than civil war.

Isn't that how the last civil war started?

Civil wars start over that, factions trying to take over the government, or factions trying to topple the current leader.  If the United States ended up with the civil war, I would say it would likely come from secession, and the federal government stepping in to try to stop it. It could happen, even if Texas attempted to seceed, although they have every legal right to do so.

theprof00 said:
At this point I can't help but think that all these crazy republican outbursts over the last few months is some sort of conspiracy to re-elect Obama handily. It's like they're killing their own chances by acting completely crazy.

I would say it is more likely blowback from the partisan nature of politics now, with the fridge being given more and more credance, media getting more and more fractures, as to pander to fringe elements and give air time to things that are more likely to be circuses, and the ability for people to go bat loco crazy without realizing they are.  The state of things are, vote for one party, because the other party is EVVVVVVIIIIILLLLLL!  It is more fear of one party than support of one.

richardhutnik said:

Civil wars start over that, factions trying to take over the government, or factions trying to topple the current leader.  If the United States ended up with the civil war, I would say it would likely come from secession, and the federal government stepping in to try to stop it. It could happen, even if Texas attempted to seceed, although they have every legal right to do so.

Not according to Texas v. White, which said that Texas and the rest of the Confederacy never seceded because they are fundamentally incapable of unilaterally seceding. I know they reserve the right to do so, but the feds absolutely do not recognize that right.