By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - This rampant Wii U hate does not seem logical

Squilliam said:
Nintendo haven't exactly handled the launch particularly well. We don't know the price or really even a concrete release date so it is hard for supporters to really get into it.

On the other hand if you already own a PS3/Xbox 360 what does the Wii U bring to the table? It brings a tablet controller and that is about it. I believe people want more than a retread of what they already own, many people are more than ready for a next generation and what is the Wii U except a retread of the existing one?

LOL

I feel like if you switch 360 and Wii around, this situation is the exact same thing as Move & Kinect. 

The tablet is another new method of control. I'm not really sure what else they could have done instead.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network

The Upad is not a tablet. It is a touchscreen controller with various additional features.

SaviorX said:
Squilliam said:
Nintendo haven't exactly handled the launch particularly well. We don't know the price or really even a concrete release date so it is hard for supporters to really get into it.

On the other hand if you already own a PS3/Xbox 360 what does the Wii U bring to the table? It brings a tablet controller and that is about it. I believe people want more than a retread of what they already own, many people are more than ready for a next generation and what is the Wii U except a retread of the existing one?

LOL

I feel like if you switch 360 and Wii around, this situation is the exact same thing as Move & Kinect. 

The tablet is another new method of control. I'm not really sure what else they could have done instead.

The two arent even comparable, not even close. You are comparing add-ons to existing consoles to a brand new console.  SOny and MS gave an optional control method. Ninty is asking people to buy a new console(not that there is anything wrong with that)

oniyide said:
SaviorX said:
Squilliam said:

LOL

The two arent even comparable, not even close. You are comparing add-ons to existing consoles to a brand new console.  SOny and MS gave an optional control method. Ninty is asking people to buy a new console(not that there is anything wrong with that)

You sure about that? What if I reworded it?

On the other hand if you already own a Wii, what do the Move or Kinect bring to the table? They bring more motion controllers and that is about it. I believe people want more than a retread of what they already own; many people are more than ready for a next generation and what are these add-ons except a retread of the existing one?

Like stated earlier, the UPad has more features then your standard tablet for sure, and it has regular old buttons and analogs too. Wii U is not super strong, but it still is stronger then the current generation of consoles, so the potential for what it can do is yet to be seen for another few years.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Theres no Wii U hate. The Wii is for families and kids everyone knows that. The Wii U is I think something they could have just added to Wii. They have a huge installed base. Now Nintendo is asking these people to buy another system for a really cool controller. I just dont think people are going to buy it like the Wii. The Wii was a gamechanger. Im sure Wii u will be also but I just think people will feel burned by Nintendo for the lackluster games they had on Wii. Now to ask them to buy the Wii U is a bit much dont you think. Nintendo didnt haft to do this either but there losing alot of money and need new hardware to generate sales. I think its a mistake. They could have just sold the new controller to the Wii for 150 bucks and made a killing. Maybe it is not possible but we will never know.Good luck Wii U you gonna need it.

Around the Network
SaviorX said:
oniyide said:
SaviorX said:
Squilliam said:

LOL

On the other hand if you already own a Wii, what do the Move or Kinect bring to the table? They bring more motion controllers and that is about it. I believe people want more than a retread of what they already own; many people are more than ready for a next generation and what are these add-ons except a retread of the existing one?

Like stated earlier, the UPad has more features then your standard tablet for sure, and it has regular old buttons and analogs too. Wii U is not super strong, but it still is stronger then the current generation of consoles, so the potential for what it can do is yet to be seen for another few years.

Hopefully, by December 2013 we get a pretty good idea, and it´s in Nintendo´s interest since supposedly it´s when the next Xbox and/or PS4 will be released.They could use Retro to try and steal some thunder.

Its the same as the 3DS really. The press ridiculed nintendo and the 3DS, and today they dont even remember that anymore even though it was less than a year ago.

Unfortunely the press doesnt seem to remember very well and seems to be very biased towards Sony/Microsoft because nowadays they are technology reviewers more than games reviewers. Thus they see Nintendo negatively because nintendo isnt doing what they want them to do and is showing them the middle finger and proving that they are the ones that know what the consumer wants.

And it seems they are right. The whole graphics/technology race thing is dragging down Sony and Microsoft to huge losses, wich is why they are prolonging this gen to try and make some money before they go and lose loads again.

I dont think the problem lies in the Wii U in this situation...a lot of the hate i see stems from the fact that the Wii U is not mega powerful, or rather, isn't as much of a leap as last gen. A lot of people have said this but no one seems to listen: graphics are reaching a plateau. Sure, you can always get better but the improvements are becoming more and more "under the hood" improvements that a lot of people wont notice. If I have to live with Uncharted 3 quality graphics for the rest of my life, I will be fine with that. I dont see how you can look at a game like that and complain. Platform holders should be focusing on ways to decrease development cost and improve gameplay, this rampant obsession with pretty graphics is getting ridiculous.

The media is feeding off of this attitude and amplifying it even further. The reason we don't hear what the gamers think more often is:
a. because a lot of gamers think what they are told to think so it would be redundant
b. the contrasting opinions arent as popular and/or sensationalist
c. the gaming media are technically gamers so that question is pseudo-moot

As for why you dont see hope for good things: you do! there is a lot of hope surrounding the games. This is what irks me. The media comes out saying great things about all the games coming to Wii U and then turns around and complains about the Wii U. Last time I checked, the games were the reason I bought a system, they are the most important thing. If you dont like the games (which i still find hard to believe) and that is your reason for not wanting a wii u, fair enough. If the only reason you dont want a wii u is because you dont like the system then take a step back and look at why you are gaming. If it for the pretty pictures, try movies or anime. If it is for the games and the gameplay than say, "ya no, eff the media, i am going to make my own opinion and base my purchases off of that, not what the media tells me.

-that is my best attempt at answering the OP...i found it kinda difficult to find a specific question though

jayson1 said:
Theres no Wii U hate. The Wii is for families and kids everyone knows that. The Wii U is I think something they could have just added to Wii. They have a huge installed base. Now Nintendo is asking these people to buy another system for a really cool controller. I just dont think people are going to buy it like the Wii. The Wii was a gamechanger. Im sure Wii u will be also but I just think people will feel burned by Nintendo for the lackluster games they had on Wii. Now to ask them to buy the Wii U is a bit much dont you think. Nintendo didnt haft to do this either but there losing alot of money and need new hardware to generate sales. I think its a mistake. They could have just sold the new controller to the Wii for 150 bucks and made a killing. Maybe it is not possible but we will never know.Good luck Wii U you gonna need it.

There is all around Wii hate.When people specifically ignore good news, throw full support behind negative and only negative rumors and purposley alter the wording and intentions of devs who talk about the system, that is hatred.

The Wii was for everyone like every Nintendo console before it. Normal gamers, harcore gamers, children and all else.The only thing the Wii wasn't for was people who obsessed over a "realistic" graphics.

SaviorX said:
oniyide said:
SaviorX said:
Squilliam said:

LOL

But those arent new CONSOLES, you're not required to spend hundreds of dollars for those (granted you already own said consoles), so that argument doesnt hold water. 

Upad has more features that a standard controller? No im sorry it doesnt unless your talking about the cheap ones. Yes it has buttons thats about it. It doesnt have a multitouch screen and it doesnt even work outside of the home, and the acutally functionality of the U pad itself is limited on its own. Its not a tablet therefore it cannot have more functions than a tablet. But lets say your right why not use that same argument with MOVE/KINECT, Move is more accurate than WIimote and the Kinect is a different kinda beast anyway.