By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - What do you think of wikileaks?

Do you think they are good or bad? 

Do you think they threaten our freedom or do they show what true freedom of speech is?

Do you think the government has acted in a right way to this issue?

Personally, i think Wikileaks is a great thing for our democracy, the people should know what they government is doing with they taxes and how is being spent across different areas. the people should know what there government is really doing. The only time, this should change is in a major war, like WW2. Also, i think the government shouldn't block them or try to arrest it's founders. Any, government should not have anything to hide. However, at ANY time, these leaks can be very dangerous, as they could expose scandals or corruption (not that corruption is right!), but somethings are better unknown aren't they?

It's quite difficult what to think on this matter, so it could become an interesting debate

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Around the Network

Fully support. Nothing revealed by wiki leaks has put the USA in the way of harm at all. Nothing essential to national security is going to be marked below Top Secret. More openness and accountability should be the goal of any democratic society.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

100% against wikileaks ...

You don't promote a free an open society by leaking information, which ultimately will require the government to be far less open; you promote a free and open society by demanding transparancy from your government.

Kantor said:
Fully support. Nothing revealed by wiki leaks has put the USA in the way of harm at all. Nothing essential to national security is going to be marked below Top Secret. More openness and accountability should be the goal of any democratic society.

Wikileaks are great, but i feel they shouldn't have to release these documents, the government should do it first. As, it hasn't opened the government, especially not America's, it's made it paranoid. But, also i think the fact that the USA government trying to close it down and charge Julian Assange is wrong. It's a form of freedom of speech, which is in there constitution

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

I never got why it's called wikileaks.

Is it part of the Wikipedia foundation? Can anyone edit it?

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network

Wiki leaks is not a bad site. I just think them leaking detailed FBI/military secrets was pretty dumb. They put peoples lives at risk when they do that and compromise missions and intel. If they would have just stuck to regular subjects they wouldn't be in hot water. They will never let this guy go now. He can hide in that embassy all he wants but he stole us intel and or published it.

HappySqurriel said:

You don't promote a free an open society by leaking information, which ultimately will require the government to be far less open; you promote a free and open society by demanding transparancy from your government.

If it was an open society then why would their be leaking of information.  The freedom of information act can still be easily denied by the government.  If the government was truly open (USA) then why would they deny so many freedom of information act requests?  The fact is that it isn't open.  The less people know about the government the better is their opinion.  Just sit back and enjoy the shitty ride.

sethnintendo said:
HappySqurriel said:

If it was an open society then why would their be leaking of information.  The freedom of information act can still be easily denied by the government.  If the government was truly open (USA) then why do you think they deny so many freedom of information act requests?  The fact is that it isn't open.

Yes, and wikileaks is going to make things worse ...

You get a more open society by demanding a more open society, by stealing/leaking the information you are (effectively) demanding that the government be more closed off and protective of the information they have.

Completely for Wikileaks' actions, since I believe all government documents should be free to access (small exception of financial or police records on individuals).

It's definitely scary how the US were able to cut funding to an organisation outside their borders by compelling payment processors to withhold donations.

Hell yeah! wikileaks was great for the Taliban who used Wikileaks to hunt and murder people named.