By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Missouri Republican: 'Legitimate rape' rarely causes pregnancy

What a fucking idiot.

Around the Network

This guy would have been better off to just come out and tell it like he means it. Seems like his opinion is human life is above all.

Personally, I say its the choice of the women. Human life is no greater than any other thing on this planet. I even believe it should be up to the parents, if defects are found after birth. If only one parent wants to deal with it, then they take full responsibility. Then if the kid turns out to strike gold, its their choice whether they have anything to do with the other parent.

On a side note: I don't agree with circumcision.

Life is more complex than any one point of view. That is why the whole sugar coating our views needs to end. Say what you believe, and be accepting to what others believe. There are no wrong answers.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Mr Khan said:

I wouldn't disagree that the other side of the coin is a little too unbalanced in the woman's favor as well (hell, in some countries, a man can't be "raped", as far as the law is concerned.) but it's clear that he is definitely running with a misogynistic view of things.

Yeah, looks like he was. I only just now saw the whole context for his comment, and I can't see any other way to interpret it than, "If she got pregnant, it wasn't rape rape." It's witch trial logic.

theprof00 said:
happydolphin said:
Mr Khan said:
I was debating posting this one, but erred on the other side.

"Legitimate Rape" is a thing, sadly, and that makes this whole thing much more sordid when you analyze his language. "Legitimate Rape" means what we all think of when you hear "rape," which is a woman alone in a dark alley, suddenly jumped by thugs (that she doesn't know) who have their way with her, which is a very small percentage of all rape

"Illegitimate rape" is an inherently anti-feminist term, because that's the majority of rape, the kind of thing where you're with a girl and you think she's sending out signals but ultimately she doesn't want it, but you have sex with her anyway. That's the bulk of rape, and you can see with this terminology that this is considered by many to be "less" of a crime.

What this man is postulating is that the distress of a "stranger-assault" rape causes women to shut down their receptivity, which isn't how it works at all.

Someone so ignorant should be kept well away from public life period, let alone any position of responsibility.

You do realize there are miscarriages that happen when a woman is too sad? The psyche has a big effect on childbirth.

Of course it's not an "always' kind of thing, but his ignorant-type speech isn't so far off.

http://www.webmd.com/infertility-and-reproduction/news/20030605/how-stress-causes-miscarriage

"June 5, 2003 -- Stress has long been suspected as a possible cause ofmiscarriage, with several studies indicating an increased risk among women reporting high levels of emotional or physical turmoil in their early months of pregnancy or just before conception. But while a relationship has been noted, researchers didn't know exactly how a woman's stress could cause miscarriage."

No, no, that is absolutely false. This study showed how women who had multiple miscarriages had higher cortisol and stress levels. It did not show how women with higher stress levels and cortisol had miscarriages.

Well, there is a relation, that's what I was trying to say. I'm not saying it's 1 to 1, but the article mentioned what I underlined. So I'm just stating what I'm reading, and it could be false, but don't tell me what I'm saying is incorrect I simply stated the article.

Instead of saying what I'm saying is false, try to understand what I posted and see if possibly it's not me that made a bad post, but that the article I was retranscribing was poorly summarized. As such, my post is not false, it is just based off of something that you would disagree with.

Mr Khan said:

Miscarriage, and not conception on the whole.

It would still make for a weird moral argument the part of any pro-lifers if they're saying "miscarriage will sort it out" because a dead baby (condemned, depending on who you listen to, to eternity in hellfire or at least a lengthy stay in purgatory) is still a dead baby.

Can it prevent/offset ovulation? That's the question here.

Good point. Only, one is natural, the other is man-decided. It is a specific choice to choose to terminate the life of an infant, and is not equivalent to a miscarriage.

For instance, miscarriages happen when children are being born. Would that be an acceptable time to abort? Clearly not...

So your argument feels off and alarming.

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
Mr Khan said:

Miscarriage, and not conception on the whole.

It would still make for a weird moral argument the part of any pro-lifers if they're saying "miscarriage will sort it out" because a dead baby (condemned, depending on who you listen to, to eternity in hellfire or at least a lengthy stay in purgatory) is still a dead baby.

Can it prevent/offset ovulation? That's the question here.

Good point. Only, one is natural, the other is man-decided. It is a specific choice to choose to terminate the life of an infant, and is not equivalent to a miscarriage.

For instance, miscarriages happen when children are being born. Would that be an acceptable time to abort? Clearly not...

I thought you were trying to state that a miscarriage could potentially "deal" with an illegitimate pregnancy. Is that what you were going for?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
happydolphin said:

I thought you were trying to state that a miscarriage could potentially "deal" with an illegitimate pregnancy. Is that what you were going for?

Bottom line yes. To tie back into your post, equating miscarriage to abortion is that what you were going for on your end?

As far as i can tell you were tryingto back up the implication that women have mysterious ways of dealing with it. It is plain and simple fact that they do not. Your linked study is not wrong in what it said. But you were assuming it said something it did not, which as i outlined earlier is a bad extension of logic or i guess, recursion.
All squares are rectangles but not all rectangles squares. Same situation with your link, your link says women who have miscarriages have sometimes shown high cortisol levels, but you thought it was saying that high cortisol levels cause miscarriages, on top of which it doesnt solve the problem kahn brought up that the miscarriage is murder and is almost worse pointing it out because that sounds like lots of people with accidental miscarriages will yhink they murdered their own child.

The fact is, it simply isnt true. It's not your link or idea or anything other than the fact that a woman does NOT hqve some way of dealing with it. It was a boneheaded comment made by a bonehead who seems to believe in magic.

theprof00 said:
As far as i can tell you were tryingto back up the implication that women have mysterious ways of dealing with it. It is plain and simple fact that they do not. Your linked study is not wrong in what it said. But you were assuming it said something it did not, which as i outlined earlier is a bad extension of logic or i guess, recursion.
All squares are rectangles but not all rectangles squares. Same situation with your link, your link says women who have miscarriages have sometimes shown high cortisol levels, but you thought it was saying that high cortisol levels cause miscarriages, on top of which it doesnt solve the problem kahn brought up that the miscarriage is murder and is almost worse pointing it out because that sounds like lots of people with accidental miscarriages will yhink they murdered their own child.

The fact is, it simply isnt true. It's not your link or idea or anything other than the fact that a woman does NOT hqve some way of dealing with it. It was a boneheaded comment made by a bonehead who seems to believe in magic.

I get a bad vibe from your tone, honestly. I can't see through my computer but you seem upset.

Anyway, I'll read the rest of your post and edit when done.

EDIT: Now to actually comment on the post content.

Well, let's put the Mr Khan aside because I'm debating that with him atm. For the record, I am strongly disagree with calling natural death a murder. A tsunami death is not a murder, nor is a non human-induced miscarriage. Murder is will to kill out of an evil intent, or out of ignorance of human wrongdoing, imho. So you won't win me using that value-system.

As for the article, I did remind you that I underlined a sentence in the article, I will post it again and I want you to show me how it does not say what I read:

http://www.webmd.com/infertility-and-reproduction/news/20030605/how-stress-causes-miscarriage

"June 5, 2003 -- Stress has long been suspected as a possible cause ofmiscarriagewith several studies indicating an increased risk among women reporting high levels of emotional or physical turmoil in their early months of pregnancy or just before conception. But while a relationship has been noted, researchers didn't know exactly how a woman's stress could cause miscarriage."

So, and I quote:

1) "Stress has long been suspected as a possible cause of miscarriage."

2) "studies indicate: increased risk in women reporting high levels of emo or physi turmoil in early moths of preg or just before conception."

In both cases, it doesn't mention anything of restricting the finding to women with high cortisol levels (unless there's a segment of the article I missed that says what you're saying). Either way, it is same diff because even a woman who does not regularly have high cortisol level, yet develops it for a period due to trauma, nothing says that she is not prone to the same fate? The relationship between the factor and the outcome exists, so what makes you restrict it to women with naturally high cortisol levels?

happydolphin said:
Mr Khan said:
happydolphin said:

Bottom line yes. To tie back into your post, equating miscarriage to abortion is that what you were going for on your end?

Is it "desirable" to have a miscarriage as a resolution to an unwanted pregnancy, though?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.