By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Missouri Republican: 'Legitimate rape' rarely causes pregnancy

TheShape31 said:
And these are the people that help make the laws we must live by... Fuck.

As some uncharitable people have said: Republicans like to tell people how bad government is, and when they get in power they do their very best to prove themselves right.

Of course I would never say such a thing.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
wfz said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
MrBubbles said:
"but the punishment ought to be on the rapist and not attacking the child.”

i agree with this position, in theory...but i really cant argue for it. the rape itself would be a great trauma for them to deal with, so i dont know how many women could deal with carrying the child even if its just going to be put up for adoption.

It's the way he is saying it. I would never refer to a fetus as a child, just like I wouldn't with a newly fertilized egg.

If only there was a way of measuring when they become self-conscious. In my opinion that's when abortion should not be acceptable anymore.

I like the line of when the heart starts beating, personally.

Also, the day-after pill, which is still effective up to around 72 hours after sex, works wonders at stopping unwanted pregnancies (particularly in the cases of rape where the woman wasn't necessarily prepared). I don't know why this pill is never spoken of in debates, though. 

The day after pill works post conception (very briefly). Given it kills embryos it qualifies as abortion and hence is not a viable option for anti-abortionists.

Seems to me the issue for secular types is rather fraught. There really isn't a definitive point you can identify that makes a foetus or embryo not a person on one side and a person on the other. So any stage of the pregnancy that's chosen as a legal definition as an element of arbitrariness to it.

It's much cleaner for those who believe that the human soul comes into existence at the moment of conception. I.e. it's a human from minute 1 because what makes us human is the existance of the rational soul, not the state of development of the physical body. However that still doesn't make it cut and dried, because then you have to formulate a moral framework around when it is and isn't acceptable to terminate that life. Severe foetal defects? Rape? Significant risk to the health of the mother if the baby is carried to term (or viability then born by cesaerian)? For the most part inconvenience isn't acceptable for those who are religioulsy inclined, so some things are easy to put on the not acceptable side of the line.

But, the other matter for the religious is whether they can legitimately impose their spiritual beliefs on those who believe differently. In a secular democracy, where there is meant to be strict separation of church and state, religious views on abortion should not dictate public law. Religious people should folloow their religious law, and secular law should not force them to act against their religious beliefs (with certain caveats). What they should do for the less religiously minded is pray for the dead babies, and pray that the baby killers realise the grave error of their ways, but that's as far as they should go. Leave punishment and justice to God if you are so confident in his ability to judge and punish. What we sow in this life we reap in the next, or something like that.

The religious angle also gets tied in knots if you believe that babies go to hell unless they are bapstised in Christ, or some such. Doesn't say much for the justice of God if you honestly believe that. But if you believe innocents are looked after if they die prematurely then there's not a great deal of suffering for the aborted child. In fact they get a get out of jail free card and a go directly to go and collect $200 by bypassing the trials and tribultations of this life. I wouldn't want to say they are fortunate if this is how things are for aborted foetuses because the plan, surely, is for a strong character to be forged in the fires of trial and tribulation. But it's not something for those who are not directly involved to fret over. The spiritual suffering, if there is any to be had, is on the mother and the facilitators of abortion. If there is a spiritual element and spiritual consequences, I don't think rape victims are going to suffer spiritual torment on top of the trauma of being raped. It would be nice for a rape victim to have the mental fortitude to have, raise and love the child. But I don;lt think the law should place that sort of burden, or expectation on anyone. The choice should the victims.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Helloplite said:
Kasz216 said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
MrBubbles said:

i agree with this position, in theory...but i really cant argue for it. the rape itself would be a great trauma for them to deal with, so i dont know how many women could deal with carrying the child even if its just going to be put up for adoption.

It's the way he is saying it. I would never refer to a fetus as a child, just like I wouldn't with a newly fertilized egg.

If only there was a way of measuring when they become self-conscious. In my opinion that's when abortion should not be acceptable anymore.

Define self consious.

If it's Brainwaves, it's about 4-6 weeks before our current cutoff rate.

actual awarness of self above that of an animal level?  That's not until like 2 years old.

Can you back your claim on this? It seems too much in my opinion.

I think that human awareness takes some time to be developed but it depends on the case -- some children attain it before the age of 1, and some right around it. I believe the 2 year mark is way after it has happened.

Offhand?  No.  Just guessing back on my psychology degree.  Didn't really care about child psychology though.

Point is.  It's after kids are born.  So a "human consiousness" arguement means that you'd be free to kill born children.

I'm pro-choice, but i tend to find that most pro-choice people are horribly uninformed and don't actually have a logical "Pro-choice" cutoff or reasoning for why they want to cutoff to be at that level... just relying on the current status quo.  Which really is kind of problematic.

If you're going to take a stand on something you should always imagine you or a loved one in a particular situation that the stand is about.

In this case imagine that your mother or sister or daughter was raped. Would you be OK with them being forced to carry the child to term against their will by the government because of the moral or religious views of others?

Does this politician and others that share his views for example have more of a right to decide if your loved ones' pregnancy should continue even at the very beginning of pregnancy than your loved one does?

He believes that he has more of a right than your loved one in making the decision even though he doesn't have to take into consideration or even deal with the emotional and physical trauma of such a pregnancy.

I don't think he understands how the female body really works...
A Pregnancy On/Off button would be cool though.

Around the Network

Shame on you...

Kasz216 said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
MrBubbles said:

Define self consious.

If it's Brainwaves, it's about 4-6 weeks before our current cutoff rate.

actual awarness of self above that of an animal level?  That's not until like 2 years old.

That reminds me of the joke in Venture Bros, where Number 21 coming back from the grave revealed that children don't get souls until age 4

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

happydolphin said:
Mr Khan said:
I was debating posting this one, but erred on the other side.

"Legitimate Rape" is a thing, sadly, and that makes this whole thing much more sordid when you analyze his language. "Legitimate Rape" means what we all think of when you hear "rape," which is a woman alone in a dark alley, suddenly jumped by thugs (that she doesn't know) who have their way with her, which is a very small percentage of all rape

"Illegitimate rape" is an inherently anti-feminist term, because that's the majority of rape, the kind of thing where you're with a girl and you think she's sending out signals but ultimately she doesn't want it, but you have sex with her anyway. That's the bulk of rape, and you can see with this terminology that this is considered by many to be "less" of a crime.

What this man is postulating is that the distress of a "stranger-assault" rape causes women to shut down their receptivity, which isn't how it works at all.

Someone so ignorant should be kept well away from public life period, let alone any position of responsibility.

You do realize there are miscarriages that happen when a woman is too sad? The psyche has a big effect on childbirth.

Of course it's not an "always' kind of thing, but his ignorant-type speech isn't so far off.

http://www.webmd.com/infertility-and-reproduction/news/20030605/how-stress-causes-miscarriage

"June 5, 2003 -- Stress has long been suspected as a possible cause ofmiscarriage, with several studies indicating an increased risk among women reporting high levels of emotional or physical turmoil in their early months of pregnancy or just before conception. But while a relationship has been noted, researchers didn't know exactly how a woman's stress could cause miscarriage."

Miscarriage, and not conception on the whole.

It would still make for a weird moral argument the part of any pro-lifers if they're saying "miscarriage will sort it out" because a dead baby (condemned, depending on who you listen to, to eternity in hellfire or at least a lengthy stay in purgatory) is still a dead baby.

Can it prevent/offset ovulation? That's the question here.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

happydolphin said:
Mr Khan said:
I was debating posting this one, but erred on the other side.

"Legitimate Rape" is a thing, sadly, and that makes this whole thing much more sordid when you analyze his language. "Legitimate Rape" means what we all think of when you hear "rape," which is a woman alone in a dark alley, suddenly jumped by thugs (that she doesn't know) who have their way with her, which is a very small percentage of all rape

"Illegitimate rape" is an inherently anti-feminist term, because that's the majority of rape, the kind of thing where you're with a girl and you think she's sending out signals but ultimately she doesn't want it, but you have sex with her anyway. That's the bulk of rape, and you can see with this terminology that this is considered by many to be "less" of a crime.

What this man is postulating is that the distress of a "stranger-assault" rape causes women to shut down their receptivity, which isn't how it works at all.

Someone so ignorant should be kept well away from public life period, let alone any position of responsibility.

You do realize there are miscarriages that happen when a woman is too sad? The psyche has a big effect on childbirth.

Of course it's not an "always' kind of thing, but his ignorant-type speech isn't so far off.

http://www.webmd.com/infertility-and-reproduction/news/20030605/how-stress-causes-miscarriage

"June 5, 2003 -- Stress has long been suspected as a possible cause ofmiscarriage, with several studies indicating an increased risk among women reporting high levels of emotional or physical turmoil in their early months of pregnancy or just before conception. But while a relationship has been noted, researchers didn't know exactly how a woman's stress could cause miscarriage."

No, no, that is absolutely false. This study showed how women who had multiple miscarriages had higher cortisol and stress levels. It did not show how women with higher stress levels and cortisol had miscarriages.

Mr Khan said:

Can it prevent/offset ovulation? That's the question here.

Yes, it can. I stated that in my second post in this thread. There are many factors that can prevent or delay ovulation. That won't stop pregnancy if she's already ovulated, however...

A fertile on/off button would be fantastic for males and females to have. We've clearly failed so far in our evolution.