By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Missouri Republican: 'Legitimate rape' rarely causes pregnancy

wfz said:

Terrible choice of words. Oh well. I feel like the republicans are digging themselves bigger and bigger graves. = The internet sure hates them.

The democrats actually helped dig this grave, republicans just jumped in it

Around the Network

If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down," Akin said.

Seriously, if he doesn't like abortions, making up his own facts to back up his opinion is not the way to go.

where are the feminist when you need them?

Mr Khan said:
"Legitimate Rape" is a thing, sadly, and that makes this whole thing much more sordid when you analyze his language. "Legitimate Rape" means what we all think of when you hear "rape," which is a woman alone in a dark alley, suddenly jumped by thugs (that she doesn't know) who have their way with her, which is a very small percentage of all rape

"Illegitimate rape" is an inherently anti-feminist term, because that's the majority of rape, the kind of thing where you're with a girl and you think she's sending out signals but ultimately she doesn't want it, but you have sex with her anyway. That's the bulk of rape, and you can see with this terminology that this is considered by many to be "less" of a crime.

What this man is postulating is that the distress of a "stranger-assault" rape causes women to shut down their receptivity, which isn't how it works at all.

Unless he specified exactly what he meant you might be reading a bit too much into it, because there are a lot of bullshit definitions of rape. For instance, two people get totally trashed and have sex. The girl wakes up and regrets it. Boom, "rape". Why isn't she also a rapist if the man was drunk, too?

But a lot of people have a lot of weird opinions on rape, like when the Hollywood community rallied around Roman Polanski and Whoopi Goldberg (whose feminist credentials I'd normally never question) said something to the effect of it wasn't "rape rape". So who knows?

Regardless, this sounds like the definition of an unforced error and also like a biologically crackpot theory from the anti-abortion crowd (although I'm not a gynebiocologist or anything).

What ways is he talking about of the female body shutting it down? Is he talking about shitting and pissing?
Wtf is wrong with this guy?

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:

Eh,  I wouldn't put too much stock into the internet becuase of the 99-9-1 internet rule.

Which essentially states that of internet users, 99% are lurkers, 9% post, and 1% post regularly.

Actually trying to gain insight from internet comments on the like with general policy is pretty impossible unless you have the right forumlas.

That, and the fact that internet crowd is younger and includes a lot of non-Americans makes it skew anti-Republican.

"but the punishment ought to be on the rapist and not attacking the child.”

i agree with this position, in theory...but i really cant argue for it. the rape itself would be a great trauma for them to deal with, so i dont know how many women could deal with carrying the child even if its just going to be put up for adoption.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Sometimes I wish I had more bodily control. Like, if I could control when or not I could become pregnant, that would be nice. Or maybe so my neck doesn't hurt at the worst possible moment. Or maybe if I wasn't so fucking nearsighted.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

MrBubbles said:
"but the punishment ought to be on the rapist and not attacking the child.”

i agree with this position, in theory...but i really cant argue for it. the rape itself would be a great trauma for them to deal with, so i dont know how many women could deal with carrying the child even if its just going to be put up for adoption.

It's the way he is saying it. I would never refer to a fetus as a child, just like I wouldn't with a newly fertilized egg.

If only there was a way of measuring when they become self-conscious. In my opinion that's when abortion should not be acceptable anymore.

Edit: Hm... Given the responces I suppose I need to take that last part back :P The more you know.

does not compute