By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony: 2.2 Million PS Vita Units Sold Worldwide

ganoncrotch said:
RolStoppable said:

The Vita could have had a better start, but it's not that bad either. It's still on track to become the second best selling non-Nintendo handheld of all time and this in and of itself is a major success.

the game gear sold 11 million.

Just saying.

Vita will sell more than that... unless it dies horribly. But I don't think it will.

Wonderswan Color sold 3.22 million in Japan. This is not a very good number... but looks so far away from Vita's right now (0.8 and selling like crap)

Around the Network
Nem said:

WoW, its doing dreamcast levels without the awesome software library.

I was even pondering getting one, but at this pace this thing is dead by christmas. There is no way the Vita can be saved without a price cut. It will lose all support no doubt.

I know Sony's marketing and product development division sucks in terms of hardware, but they should already be working on a new less expensive to produce version of vita (slim) and drop that price point already. Make the system compatible with normal SD cards aswell. I think this is panic time now, its almost past the point of no return.

As a consumer i cant really commit to buying something that might have all support dropped next year. Its a highly risky purchase.

loose all support? really?  If the support was really drying UP, than 30+ new games for it would not be getting released this fall! What many still are not taking into account, is the PSVita does not have to keep pace in sales with the 3DS, there is only two companies making dedicated Handheld Game systems, Nintendo and Sony, what Sony is making sure of is that "UNLIKE NINTENDO" that Support for the PSVita will have the Playstation Mobile, to provide more software support for the PSVita, since both the PSVita and the Nintendo 3DS have no chance and are never going to be the market leader in Handheld's anymore, the reason being is the Smartphone has and will take a big chunk of the market share for Gaming in the HandHeld space, when as an example  Samsung can sell over 90 million smartphones a sales Quarter, this is no longer just about dedicated Game handheld's anymore, that's one of the reason's why the PSVita's Hardware is aligned close to that of smartphones, since many 3rd party publisher's and developer's already have moved their licenced game engines over to those ARM Cortex chipset's the PSVita will benefit due to the fact it's also bearing the same hardware Cortex chipset's that Apple IOS is using as is Sony's own Xperia line, as is HTC..etc.

The Development for Quick pick up and play games are far cheaper, and investment is less for far larger ROI even with Sony's less than steller Sales for the PSVita right now, 2 Million is not much for little as a year on the market, but it's investment into development into the Playstation Mobile platform would more than cover the cost of investment with the ROI in the platform due to the fact it's low cost for development is more aligned with the already large market of the smartphones with their development cost's with the Playstation Mobile.

the fact that Sony is heavly invested into that part of the market, more so than Nintendo and Microsoft.

Sony is selling over 7.4 million xperia smartphones a sales quarter, is it no wonder that Sony is going where the Money is going right now! and Sony is not even in the TOP 3 of the sales of smartphones per sales Quarter in the market. But the main point is Once again, is When game companies like EPIC, Valve,idSoft, Havok etc, have made their game engines run on these smartphones and smart TV's and Tablet's the change in the market is not something that will happen, IT Has already happened. The Mobile Games market is no longer just about Nintendo and Sony by themselves anymore, Sony is taking full advantage of that change right now.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

A typical development cycle of a game is 2 years. You can't stop a game that it's going to launch in three months, but you can stop developing future games if the sales are abysmal, as they are. The number of games in the next months is not the problem, the problem is the games in one-two years.

VicViper said:

This graph is such bullshit!

I mean, how orange is not Dreamcast's color??? Infidels!

Fun fact those Dreamcast Shipments are only for Japan....

Former something....

Kynes said:
A typical development cycle of a game is 2 years. You can't stop a game that it's going to launch in three months, but you can stop developing future games if the sales are abysmal, as they are. The number of games in the next months is not the problem, the problem is the games in one-two years.

How is it a problem when the game your going to make anyway wth the same chipset's as what's running already in smartphones and Tablet's and smart TV's is the same core chipset that is already running in the PSVita also?

if your talking Time and development resources?, than that could be a problem , but it's highly unlikely due to the cost to already put that very same game on the PSVita is way less than what you would get back with sales of the software , even with the lower install base, and lower sales that the PSVita has right now.

why did you think Sony did not use MIP'S this time round for it's handheld chip's inside the PSVita! This is not someone trying to defend Sony or the PSVita trying to spin the number's, this is pointing out the flaw of those with the Mindset that are seeming to ignore the very fact that the PSVita, Has the exact same chipset's as those very systems that the majority of development of Games in the mobile  market space is going today, for development resources being the same as the smartphone since it's coexist is close aligned there is an extra 2+ million sales for your game that can be sold, no matter how you cut that , it's more sales over than what you use to invest in to putting your game onto the PSVita!

unlike with the Playstation Portible, Sony had the system taken to 3rd parties outside of Sony R&D to get their imput on development of not just design of the handheld, but also the groundwork for the chipset, the gpu, the i/o ETC. OF What the PSVita would have inside the system , and it's no wonder the PSVita has the same core chips as over 90% of the smartphones and Tablet's would have released with in the next few year's when the PSVita was being designed.  

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network

I just found a pretty funny/ridiculous comment on n4g: "How is this bad? It's 6 months into it's life, remember the 3DS, all they had was Pilotwings and effing Nintendogs for a year."

More agrees than disagrees. Hahaha.

MDMAlliance said:
I just found a pretty funny/ridiculous comment on n4g: "How is this bad? It's 6 months into it's life, remember the 3DS, all they had was Pilotwings and effing Nintendogs for a year."

Check the neogaf thread too, some VG Charters are becoming protagonists there.

People have to understand "quality" can be found anywhere! People always think talking Vita's sales is attacking the games the system have and games they love. Sales represent only one thing, support for quality to appear in the future. That's why they're important.

VicViper said:
MDMAlliance said:

" Sales represent only one thing, support for quality to appear in the future. That's why they're important."

your Right it is very important, but on the same Token what if your main Support is not from the PSVita Hardware in this matter , but from another platform's development , that just so happens to also support the very platform that has lower sales!

as long as the support is there would it really matter where it's coming from?

Sony is treating the PSVita as yet another platform for smartphone Software to sell on, it does not matter what the PSVita sales are vs' the smartphones or the 3DS, because the same software for gaming and Applications that runs on the smartphones can run on the PSVita also, but unlike the PSVita , Smartphones do not get the 1st party PSVita games that make the PSVita different from the other platforms out there.

the only time this really matter's is if the retail chain's would up and refuse to carry the PSVita, even if that was to happen, the next day or the next year, Sony will still have PSN, and the Playstation Mobile software services to support the PSVita. That's the very big point in this view of what is "Sony going to do about" the lackluster sales, the Lower than projected sales forecast, etc. They already done it. Thing's do not turn for the better over night, but with Time thing's can turn for the better.

If Many Gamer's would like nothing other than to see Sony not produce any hardware and just sell software, Hey Sony may exactly do just that, but That does not mean the iP games they make would go to other's prefered Game console platform's, Hell Sony may put their games on Platforms that Has no Game console name attachment in their name, like the Smart TV, Smart Phone, or Tablet market.

Sony's Move to Mobile section for investment as one of the three core pillar's of the company going forward, is proof of that, hell Sony may even sell off their TV brand production to another company and lower their workforce by a rather large number and downsize their company further. 

Many are it seem's as though Sony's option is only to sell out their games part of their company, which is not the case if anything is going to be cut down and further downsized, it's Part's of Sony's company outside of Gaming. 

I AM BOLO

ps:

DieAppleDie said:
now Vita fans know how N64/GC fans felt
great hardware and poor sales = frustration

although i must say the N64 and the GC had much better games in their first year, well not so much the N64, but the GC had Sunshine, Eternal darkness, Starfox adv, Luigis mansion, Wave Race, Star wars...etc
DAMN!!!!!!!
that shows that not even great games can save a console that has low appeal for the consumers and masses..

Good point. I definitely agree about the Gamecube, it should have sold far more.

Burning Typhoon said:
acdcste said:
I never "got" the vita and i still dont. Its a handheld ps3 and i have a ps3 so why should i buy one?

You're joking.  Just like how the PSP was a handheld PS2, right?

It kinda really was a handheld PS2.

I LOVE ICELAND!