By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony: 2.2 Million PS Vita Units Sold Worldwide

davidd_err18 said:

Look, I LOVE my iPhone and iPad games, I think mobile gaming is awesome, because its cheap and the variety of games is tremendous (Horn, Infinity Blade II and Dungeons, Street Fighter Volt, Cut the Rope,Nova 3, Mass Effect Infiltrator, Angry Birds Space, Metal Slug 3, SoulCalibur, King of Fighters i 2012, ALL this games are awesome!!!) , BUT I just dont hink people will rush to buy a PSV to play Mobile games even if they are somewhat better because of the better controls and display of the PSV (and thats with the really low probability that most Mobile games will be ported to the Vita, just because they can, it doesnt mean they will).

I think IF some of these games (and thats a big IIIIIFFFFFFF) get released on the System with the PSMobile thingie, they WONT drive new sales of the portable, AT ALL. It will be more like a bonus feature of the handheld (like the MP3, or the Cameras, or the Ability to use your facebook, twitter or youtube).

If people can buy all these games in their Android or iOS gadget of choice, why would they buy a 250$ PS Vita just to have the ability to play them? Maybe a FEW people who think that playing Mobile games with a better hardware will do, but MOST of the people wont.

PS Mobile wont be a feature that will increase the Install base substantially, BUT it will be nice to have as an option for the existing owners of the Vita.

" If people can buy all these games in their Android or iOS gadget of choice, why would they buy a 250$ PS Vita just to have the ability to play them? "

Your still asking the same Question ?

Look IT'S NOT JUST ABOUT PLAYING THOSE GAMES!, ITs not!

What many are overlooking is the very fact the PSVita has Hardware that is even more robust than the Wii, even the majority of Smartphones, Tablet's and Smart TV's have such hardware level's today. Its not so much as viewing them as Mobile is a lesser platform, it's about how the mobile platform has moved forward to right now , and the near future did you know by the end of this year there will be mobile hardware that even support's directX11 and shader model 4 and higher. This is chipsets that is going into smart TV's and smartphones and tablet's.

"and thats with the really low probability that most Mobile games will be ported to the Vita, just because they can, it doesnt mean they will"

I get what you are saying, and im going to say it's not as low of a probability as you might think, say for the sake of argument you remove the PSVita out of the equation to to decide to put software support in the mobile space. Now just on the point alone the PSVita would get no support because it's not part of the equation right?

Now if you have not noticed, Sony now has the following, HTC, ASUS, Nvidia Tegra platform 2 and Tegra 3, WikiPad. for certification for Playstation Mobile. Just by that alone you have, aside from over 28 million Xperia devices alone already in the market you have the nexus 7 tablet, ASUS Tablet's Pro and Prime, many smartphones like the HTC 1 x LINE, AND THE WIKI pad. all getting Playstation Mobile certified games, not just port's of existing Android Games but new Games only on Playstation certified devices, with Trophy support!

To say that there would be a reason to buy the PSVita just for mobile games is not what this is about it's about making a platform that does not just rely on "Only" the PSVita for Sony's mobile market for Mobile Gaming. in alot of point's just Like Microsoft is doing with the PC and putting more xbox centric platform functionality across the PC and connecting that with the xbox platform , Sony is doing that with the Consumer electronic's the Playstation platform connecting directly to the Consumer electronic product's such as Smart TV's, topset boxes,smartPhones, Tablet's and Playstation product's themselves.

The PSVita will Have it's own software including these other consumer electronic's software App's and Games to make it included not excluded from the other devices, what will set the PSVita apart is it's Exclusives! the idea many see as "well it's just another PS3 game" so i would rather play that on the PS3, is pretty ironic, because the game is not on the PS3 it's on the PSVita, thus it's not the same game there is other part's of the games that are on the PSVita that seperate it from the living room console some have the idea it's just a port of an existing  ps3 game and see it as a port or clone! when it's not.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network

There are a few regulars who I would like to see comment on these numbers... and they are conspicuously silent/absent...

I really fear about the future of the Vita, one of the games that was supposed to safe the handheld in the west looks horrible (CoD), so the only one who's left to do the job is AC III: Liberation. There's still Sony All-Stars and LBP but IMO those games will only give the system a temporary boost, not enough to safe it in the long run

Nintendo and PC gamer

Kenology said:
There are a few regulars who I would like to see comment on these numbers... and they are conspicuously silent/absent...

An So what if they are not commenting on the Number's?

Look i understad some gamer's like to try to get under the skin of some other's because they like the melt down's or the people just want to cause poking fun at the fan's of other system's and making fun of them i get that. But I would say that's exactly why this sites number's have declined with post's, about certain people of another system who decided they do not want to play anymore.

After a while the dog you "kick" leaves, or decides to ignore the kicker, who frankly may need another dog to kick, if that's the only excitement he get's out of online forums.

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Kenology said:

They are in la la land aka "official" thread.

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

Around the Network
osed125 said:

I really fear about the future of the Vita, one of the games that was supposed to safe the handheld in the west looks horrible (CoD), so the only one who's left to do the job is AC III: Liberation. There's still Sony All-Stars and LBP but IMO those games will only give the system a temporary boost, not enough to safe it in the long run

While i get that you fear the PSVita going the way of the PSPGo, there is a few reason's why that is quite unlikly to happen.

the PSVita will have not just  PS3 cross platform Play but be used as a control pad for the PS3 this firmware update to the PSVita is alot more significant than people have stopped to think about what this really means for owner's of the PSVita and PS3 both. 

example:

Head of development services Kish Hirani said that support is "on the cards" provided they can work out a way to replicate touch control on the platform. "The interesting challenge is how do you put a touch interface on the PS3, because it doesn't have one!

The Playstation Mobile application platform releasing mean's a great number of games get not only released on Mobile devices but you only have to buy it once and play it across all your devices that are Playstation Mobile certified.

and Since Trophy Support is also going to on Playstation Mobile, along with free3play games also, it's alot of added advantages for developer's wanting to sell their software, especially if your a small indie developer or publisher wanting to sell your software to a larger audience than just counting the PSVita by its self instead of looking at the advantages of including the rest of the eco system ontop of the just the PSVita to sell your software on.

I AM BOLO

ps:

Kynes said:
Kenology said:

joeorc said:
Nem said:

So, your point is Sony is fine, they are betting on mobile games wich can be easily brought over to the Vita. I have a question for you, why should i get these games on the Vita instead of my phone? No reason.

Vita needs games that are exclusive to it for it to sell, and needs to have a lower price point. Wether Sony facilitates the porting of mobile games doesnt really make a difference without those 2 points beeing fulfilled.

"  I have a question for you, why should i get these games on the Vita instead of my phone? No reason. "

Yet, there could very well be a reason to get them on the PSVita since people complained first hand that the orig. PSP did not have dual analog control's and the PSVita does, instead of simply making tousch screen control's  simulated on the PSVita Sony's PSVita really does have physical touch screen and analog control right with  them! on the system.

PSVita could get DLC first before the other smartphones, and also the fact that that the PSVita has the larger screen over many of the smartphones anyway, maybe not the best resolution over smartphones but , the PSVita's screen is clear, and large and good for Games played on the system sofar.

"Vita needs games that are exclusive to it for it to sell, and needs to have a lower price point. Wether Sony facilitates the porting of mobile games doesnt really make a difference without those 2 points beeing fulfilled."

Exclusives to sell? was that not the claim by many about any system? its the Games no matter what that makes a system , not just a single exclusive here and there, the point is support. As for price once again that's with anything some will wait, and some will just not buy the system no matter what anyway. All you can do is keep support coming and see if that get's consumer's to buy. which is exactly what Sony did with the PS3, and they had a very big cut into their market share, loss in profit, and their companies consumer view took a hammering about How many consumer's see's Sony's viability in the market. And with all that Sony is still doing thing's to try to please consumer's, many say not enough , but again Sony is atleast trying to do so. with making moves on Playstaation + games per month, buy once get one free, and buy on Playstation Mobile play on any playstation Mobile certified device.

that atleast shows they are doing something atleast to make their platforms more viable in the game's market space. And once again that will mean diddly squat for some people, but you cannot please everyone , and no matter what sometimes you cannot please a person no matter what you do. that's just the breaks, and all you can do is try.

Again, you make the point that Sony is fine and is doing good stuff as a company. I agree with you that PSN rocks, i love all the deals i got on my PSP for it. But, it doesnt solve the problem we have here: The vita is not selling.

Support means 3rd party exclusive releases on the system. You know things like you have on the 3DS on the form of resident evil revelations, Kingdom hearts 3D, theatrythmn, etc. Possible ease to port phone games does nothing to help sell the system.

Ok tell you what, what Sony is really bad at is Marketing and product development. The Vita is a terrible product in marketing terms. It is a great system tech wise, but it presents nothing unique. If a product has nothing unique the consumer wont get it over another product with similar offer and uniqueness 3DS (games + 3D), Tablets (games + ease of work), and phones (games+phone on a small package). Vita only has the back touch screen wich has very limited use (only the tear game has tapped into it) and games, wich at this time are lacking. Result, the consumer doesnt want the system. Consequence, developers will stop releasing games for it cause its not profitable.

Kynes said:
Kenology said:

or they just frankly do not care anymore! La La land or what ever you want to call it, is exactly why people may have went there ,many times just do not care about what you think or post anymore, the only people i would say or care are the exception of like minded people. Who seem to be saying thing's like what you just posted, that just to cause A: trouble to incite a certain reaction, B: just to add to their EGO's.

after a while people just do not care anymore.

I AM BOLO

ps:

joeorc said:
Kynes said:
Kenology said:

or they just frankly do not care anymore! La La land or what ever you want to call it, is exactly why people may have went there ,many times just do not care about what you think or post anymore, the only people i would say or care are the exception of like minded people. Who seem to be saying thing's like what you just posted, that just to cause A: trouble to incite a certain reaction, B: just to add to their EGO's.

after a while people just do not care anymore.

Believe me, if Sony doesn't make a miracle, they will care.

Someone should give this book to Sony as a present. They didn't understand the meaning of vita.