By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does Mario need to be so kiddy?

Tagged games:

Does this makes sense?

It's true. 42 36.52%

It's not so true. 71 61.74%

Total:113
Mr Khan said:

If you're quoting one user, you don't need to make multiple posts one at a time. Try to put it all in a big reply next time.

Not trying to discourage you, or anything. You've got some great points there about the collision of hardware limitations and artistic choices in days of yore.

Sorry.  I was chastised for presenting my thoughts in a "wall of text" once previously.  So, I thought since I was responding to different points made in different posts (even though they were all from the same user) that it would be better to break up my responses towards each individual post I was quoting from.  My mistake.  Also, I'm at work, so I was rattling off responses here and there where I could, but I hit the unfortunate timing of a lull in the discussion and so all my posts ended up landing back to back to back anyway.  I'll keep it in mind though, thanks.

Around the Network
Mandalore76 said:
Mr Khan said:

If you're quoting one user, you don't need to make multiple posts one at a time. Try to put it all in a big reply next time.

Not trying to discourage you, or anything. You've got some great points there about the collision of hardware limitations and artistic choices in days of yore.

Sorry.  I was chastised for presenting my thoughts in a "wall of text" once previously.  So, I thought since I was responding to different points made in different posts (even though they were all from the same user) that it would be better to break up my responses towards each individual post I was quoting from.  My mistake.  Also, I'm at work, so I was rattling off responses here and there where I could, but I hit the unfortunate timing of a lull in the discussion and so all my posts ended up landing back to back to back anyway.  I'll keep it in mind though, thanks.

If you parse out the reply boxes, it keeps it from being a wall (that is, open a tab for the quote, copy quote contents into main reply, close tab), and array them a bit at a time, which i'll grant is more involved than any of us often try to be.

No biggie.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Are you really saying Mario's voice is an issue now?

I find it impossible to think of a more suited voice, it's funny, friendly and fits the design perfectly. I mean, what do you want? Nolan North? Mark Hamill?

morenoingrato said:

I find it impossible to think of a more suited voice, it's funny, friendly and fits the design perfectly. I mean, what do you want? Nolan North? Mark Hamill?

Why not James Earl Jones? Imagine the scene "Luigi, I AM your brother!"

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:

I just realized that you suffer from the same debating flaws in real-life discussion as you do in Mafia games. When presenting your opinion phrases like "I think that...", "It seems to me that...", "I get the impression that..." are your friends.

As it is right now, your sentence "In so doing, he made Mario (it regressed) alienating to most adults." is stating that the high-pitched voice has made Mario alienating to most adults. It's no wonder you're getting attacked for it because it's a baseless affirmation.

There's also one thing I don't get in your reasoning, first you said this : "I don't see the N64 version emasculating Mario like the newer incarnations does." which implies that you don't have a problem with Mario's voice in Mario 64 then to prove your emasculating/adult-alienating point which you say happened in the newer games you link us to a video where Charles Martinet explains his thought process when he auditioned to be the voice of Mario BEFORE Mario 64.

I've already addressed the "I think that..." segment here for Khuutra. I didn't realize I needed to preface every opinion in this opinion thread with "I think that.." and to be honest I'll try to cater to this need some of you have. To me it was a given that my opinion is up for debate but it appears I was mistaken. For me addressing this already, here is the post. -> http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4735539

@Interview prior to Mario 64. I was aware of that. That's why I mentioned the regression (which I wasn't able to support with evidence, sadly I found none).

@Mafia. The true problem here is that we're finding the same problems as in mafia. Instead of sharing ideas and coming to a greater understanding due to open brainstorming, we get lost into trails that usually lead us in the wrong direction because we are too focused on proving this or that case. That's how mislynches happen. It's the same thing here, I never intended this to be a debate, but rather to be an open topic where my ideas are subject to scrutiny and fair retort, as well as just general discussion of art. Instead, I got the likes of you, Mr Khan, Rol, Khuutra and a few others trying to "prove" that I'm wrong, when that's not even the point of this thread. As such, I become the townie that the townfolk once again get on the case of. Though I may say things that aren't 100% true, it doesn't mean I'm mafia (or in this case completely bonkers). Once you understand that I'm not here to push my ideas on anybody, I'm not here to prove anything but I'm just trying to make sense of a sentiment and thought I have on the matter, and once you let go of the witchhunt, then you'll be able to understand what I mean. It's like when you were kicking my ass at smash, and I finally got in the groove and was able to give you a bit of a fight. It's the same thing here. I.e. Wake up.

So again, I want to encourage you and the others in this thread to enter the convo and enjoy the topic. If this is not a topic you enjoy, it's just best not to participate. I'm just being honest.

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
TruckOSaurus said:

I just realized that you suffer from the same debating flaws in real-life discussion as you do in Mafia games. When presenting your opinion phrases like "I think that...", "It seems to me that...", "I get the impression that..." are your friends.

As it is right now, your sentence "In so doing, he made Mario (it regressed) alienating to most adults." is stating that the high-pitched voice has made Mario alienating to most adults. It's no wonder you're getting attacked for it because it's a baseless affirmation.

There's also one thing I don't get in your reasoning, first you said this : "I don't see the N64 version emasculating Mario like the newer incarnations does." which implies that you don't have a problem with Mario's voice in Mario 64 then to prove your emasculating/adult-alienating point which you say happened in the newer games you link us to a video where Charles Martinet explains his thought process when he auditioned to be the voice of Mario BEFORE Mario 64.

I've already addressed the "I think that..." segment here for Khuutra. I didn't realize I needed to preface every opinion in this opinion thread with "I think that.." and to be honest I'll try to cater to this need some of you have. To me it was a given that my opinion is up for debate but it appears I was mistaken. For me addressing this already, here is the post. -> http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4735539

@Interview prior to Mario 64. I was aware of that. That's why I mentioned the regression (which I wasn't able to support with evidence, sadly I found none).

@Mafia. The true problem here is that we're finding the same problems as in mafia. Instead of sharing ideas and coming to a greater understanding due to open brainstorming, we get lost into trails that usually lead us in the wrong direction because we are too focused on proving this or that case. That's how mislynches happen. It's the same thing here, I never intended this to be a debate, but rather to be an open topic where my ideas are subject to scrutiny and fair retort, as well as just general discussion of art. Instead, I got the likes of you, Mr Khan, Rol, Khuutra and a few others trying to "prove" that I'm wrong, when that's not even the point of this thread. As such, I become the townie that the townfolk once again get on the case of. Though I may say things that aren't 100% true, it doesn't mean I'm mafia (or in this case completely bonkers). Once you understand that I'm not here to push my ideas on anybody, I'm not here to prove anything but I'm just trying to make sense of a sentiment and thought I have on the matter, and once you let go of the witchhunt, then you'll be able to understand what I mean. It's like when you were kicking my ass at smash, and I finally got in the groove and was able to give you a bit of a fight. It's the same thing here. I.e. Wake up.

So again, I want to encourage you and the others in this thread to enter the convo and enjoy the topic. If this is not a topic you enjoy, it's just best not to participate. I'm just being honest.

The problem here is that you're presenting it like it's fact, and when you present something as fact, you can expect people to pick at the specifics to try to undermine it. If you really didn't want to "push," you would have framed the thread completely differently.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:

The problem here is that you're presenting it like it's fact, and when you present something as fact, you can expect people to pick at the specifics to try to undermine it. If you really didn't want to "push," you would have framed the thread completely differently.

I frame the thread like a piece, like an editorial. It's not my fault if you guys didn't understand that.

Seriously Khan, everything has to be spelled out with you guys to a T. Couldn't you realize I was talking about tastes and opinions on something highly subjective?? You were the first to say so.

I answered to Rol, I then explained myself to Khuutra, I then posted a disclaimer post. What more do you want??

i want you to add me as a friend on your 3DS so we can play some SSF43D

@DAD. I so want to. Now to get my 3DS back from Bern...

Mandalore76 said:
happydolphin said:

This is a topic that has always bothered me. I know that New Super Mario Bros. is an excellent game, and Mario Galaxy is a jewel of a game. But do the themes need to be so childish? Mario Kart, same diff.

As an older man, there are movies for kids that I can watch because they don't alienate me. Examples of these are disney's movies especially.

There are companies out there that create content that appeals to children, of all ages, and on a wide variety of themes. My favorite example of these is Disney. Time and time again, this company was able to release one classic after another of top content that appealed to children, and to adults alike. The Little Mermaid, The Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, Tarzan, and so on and so forth.

When we look at Nintendo, we found something similar in the origins of the Super Mario series:

Donkey kong, the story of a Gorilla breaking down scaffolds that a construction worker (Mario) is attempting to climb in order to save the kidnapped princess. Sounds like King Kong... hmm not a movie for kids if I recall. What about Mario Bros, the story of a plummer that needs to attack crabs and turtles and butterflies, with fireballs coming out of the wall to attack him. The colors in both game are not aggressively childish, and hold neutral shades of blue, green, red and brown, with Peach's pink as the exception.

The trend continues all the way to Mario 3 and even on to Super Mario 64. But something happened at some point in the Gamecube era where Nintendo decided to inject colors and lame story

I think that you are looking at the history of Mario through "nostalgic 80's goggles" and misconstruing things to support your argument that aren't really the case.  For example, the level design of Donkey Kong being in a construction site was not chosen to give it a "appeal to adults theme" but instead had a far more practical purpose:

"Miyamoto had high hopes for his new project. He lacked the technical skills to program it himself, so instead came up with concepts and consulted technicians to see if they were possible. He wanted to make the characters different sizes, move in different manners and react in various ways. Yokoi thought Miyamoto's original design was too complex.   Another idea Yokoi suggested was to use see-saws to catapult the hero across the screen; this was too difficult to program. Miyamoto then thought of using sloped platforms, barrels and ladders. "

The choice of colors as well had far more practical purposes than simply to remain neutral so as to appeal to adults:

"Shigeru Miyamoto designed Mario wearing a hat because he found drawing hair difficult. He also drew Mario with a mustache because a mustache was easier to see than a mouth with 8-bit graphics.  Miyamoto designed Mario with overalls that contrast with his sleeves to help in the animation of his arm motions. The sleeves are of the same color of his shirt and without the overalls the arms would disappear during the movements. Overalls: Stylish and practical."

The choices that were made in game design for Donkey Kong or the original Mario games in the 80's were born out of necessity rather than what you saw as a conscious choice to appeal to all ages. 

I like this post, thank you for posting substance that helps me better understand where I'm wrong.

Can you send me a link to the article you quoted, I am so very interested.

morenoingrato said:

It could be the same voice, just better managed by a real director, better more nuanced emotion.

Do you notice that Mario's voice has emotion?

This might sound like a silly thing to discuss but it's something I consider important personally when it comes to the general package of a good game, especially the game that should be the best in the industry, as demonstrated by the use of orchestras in the OST.