By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does Mario need to be so kiddy?

Tagged games:

Does this makes sense?

It's true. 42 36.52%

It's not so true. 71 61.74%

Total:113
Khuutra said:

All right I'm tired of reading this

Cite your sources

What do you mean "Cite your sources". For every point you bring does someone ask you to cite a source?

It's an opinion I can argue, nothing I can offer a study on. I'm surprised you didn't realize that when you made the request.

It's my opinion, and though it doesn't take so much to argue it... it still won't be easy because it isn't easily quantifiable, but I'll try. It took me a day to reply to trucks, we'll see how long it takes for me to build up an argument for you. If that's not what you want, tell me now so I don't waste my time.

EDIT: I also need you to specify what segment of the sentence your request is addressed to:

1) he made Mario alienating to most adults

or

2) it regressed

or 

both, and if so which one do you consider more important?

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
Khuutra said:

All right I'm tired of reading this

Cite your sources

What do you mean "Cite your sources". For every point you bring does someone ask you to cite a source?

It's an opinion I can argue, nothing I can offer a study on. I'm surprised you didn't realize that when you made the request.

It's my opinion, and though it doesn't take so much to argue it... it still won't be easy because it isn't easily quantifiable, but I'll try. It took me a day to reply to trucks, we'll see how long it takes for me to build up an argument for you. If that's not what you want, tell me now so I don't waste my time.

Let me be clear: the question itself was illustrative. I asked it because you could not do that, and you had no actual sources to draw upon.

All of your statements of fact are based on conjecture, incomplete data, personal experience, and unsubstantiated hypotheses which have little or no bearing on the larger market's reaction to Mario products. It's fine that you think these things; when yo utry to phrase them and present them as a cogent argument worthy of being called that, it is an egregious mistreatment of the form of debate.

No, I do not want a big-ass reply from you. The only case in which I want a big-ass reply from you is if you can substantiate your claims in a way that doesn't amount to "I think people would think this." I do not think such an argument is forthcoming.

Khuutra said:

Let me be clear: the question itself was illustrative. I asked it because you could not do that, and you had no actual sources to draw upon.

All of your statements of fact are based on conjecture, incomplete data, personal experience, and unsubstantiated hypotheses which have little or no bearing on the larger market's reaction to Mario products. It's fine that you think these things; when yo utry to phrase them and present them as a cogent argument worthy of being called that, it is an egregious mistreatment of the form of debate.

No, I do not want a big-ass reply from you. The only case in which I want a big-ass reply from you is if you can substantiate your claims in a way that doesn't amount to "I think people would think this." I do not think such an argument is forthcoming.

When did I reply to a request to substantiate my claims without substance? Honestly... Trucks challenged my PoV, I replied with substance. I'm not here to beat around the bush or wag your tail if that's what you thought.

So if you're actually interested, I will look for substance to back my claims. If I find none, I will tell you I found none.

That's how I roll, I hope you get used to it.

@all of my statements para. Of course there is incomplete data, personal experience and unsubstantiated hypothesis in this thread... For each let me explain:

1) Incomplete data: I mentioned to Rol and I'll say it again, this thread was based on a sentiment and I'm looking for the participation of lurkers and posters to help me find more data.

2) Personal experience: This is a topic on artistic direction, and as such the only true measure I have is my own taste. I'm exposing it to see how it resonates with others. This far it isn't working out for me, but some have emerged to show a similar perception. Already that has value in and of itself. Keep in mind I am doing my best to go beyond this aspect and use objective data such as listing colors in previous games, tracks and sounds of past games to contrast. As explained, this is an area of debate that is still new to me, so this is an experiment of sorts.

3) Unsubstantiated claims: see 1, same idea.

@mistreating this form of debate. It's possible, but are you doing any better? Possibly, but you have yet to bring substance to this thread yourself for the matter at hand, above and beyond your excellent work of analysing my rhetoric.

Okay, if I'm being unclear, none of my claims in this thread do I consider fact. They are all subject to scrutiny and participation in seeking for better or more complete answers.

If you thought otherwise, please understand I invite you to participate and to explain to me how I'm wrong if wrong I am, and point me to artforms I can compare with, or public reception/critical reception of artwork that is similar or that contrasts with Super Mario's direction of late.

If you can't do that, you're still welcome to post, but I would prefer pro-active collaboration than a critique of my quest, because this is what I want and nobody here will change that. On that front I'm unshakeable.

However if you think I'm wrong on certain points, feel free to post away.

BasilZero said:
I think they should make another spinoff of Mario with darker tones instead of changing the mainline series.

I'd like you to define darker. Do you mean something that would less appeal to kids, or more appeal to kids due to more nuanced emotion?

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
happydolphin said:
BasilZero said:
I think they should make another spinoff of Mario with darker tones instead of changing the mainline series.

I'd like you to define darker. Do you mean something that would less appeal to kids, or more appeal to kids due to more nuanced emotion?

Emotion. No need to raise the violence or include the blood/gore content, same with the text/script doesnt need to be more violent tendency. The examples you mentioned earlier would fit in what I'm trying to say.

Say for an example, Portal doesnt seem like a Kiddy game nor was there blood/strong language (unless I missed something).

This makes sense to me.

Don't you think that portal is too inorganic and lacks cartoonism and caricature to really appeal to kids though, in contrast?

Also, why make a seperate series if the idea still appeals to kids?

@khuutra. See, I have good questions when people make interesting posts, and I'm evolving this topic within me over time.

Tsssss.

What I'm saying is that there are no grounds on which to say Martinet's voice alienates adult players from enjoying Mario, and that is a statement of fact which has no grounding in reality. That's not an opinion statement; it is a statement about the way things are, and it's based on nothing.

Khuutra said:
Tsssss.

What I'm saying is that there are no grounds on which to say Martinet's voice alienates adult players from enjoying Mario, and that is a statement of fact which has no grounding in reality. That's not an opinion statement; it is a statement about the way things are, and it's based on nothing.

:) @ tssss.

I stated my opinion, you read it as fact. I am not here to say things that aren't debatable, come on why would I post a thread about this if I wasn't genuinely interested in what contrary PoV there may be? Do you think I'm that much of a troll??

To prove I'm not, I asked you if you were interested in a reply with substantiating backup to my claim, but you didn't want it! oO

BasilZero said:
happydolphin said:

This makes sense to me.

Don't you think that portal is too inorganic and lacks cartoonism and caricature to really appeal to kids though, in contrast?

Also, why make a seperate series if the idea still appeals to kids?

@khuutra. See, I have good questions when people make interesting posts, and I'm evolving this topic within me over time.

I dont think it lacks Cartoonism, maybe in appearance, but the script is hilarious and cartoon like imo especially the characters such as glaDOS and Wheatly. Although the game does have an appearance that is better suited for older minds, I still think its appealing enough just because of the gameplay.

As for making a separate series, it would be fine imo, they've done it with Mario Kart, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi, I see no reason for them to take advantage of this idea and expanding it into another series. It would only make Mario bigger than what it is, dont see anything bad happening from the changes as long as they have the blood/voice overs/over the top violence/suggestive themes out.

I haven't played the game (forgive me friends), so apologies if I ask you your judgement on the game.

So, the script being hilarious, is it hilarious to adults or to children eclusively, or to both? Can you post some pics to demonstrate? That would help me.

I don't see anything bad happening either, but what's the rationale behind making it a separate series, why not just make that the progression of NSMB? i.e. what would be the benefit of making it a separate series?

BasilZero said:

Not sure what your PC specs are but in the future you should consider getting the game via Steam (I bought mine this past Summer sale $3.49 for BOTH games in a bundle).

glaDOS' lines are hilarious if you can understand it (she's really sarcastic) and Wheatly on Portal 2 caters more to Kids I guess since his character/personality and jokes are lighthearted. No blood, no actual intense violence, no swearing.

Here is a video of some of the moments from the game and of Wheatly and glaDOS (WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyg6v08fODM

Well they could but than people would complain saying Nintendo is changing the formula completely, if they made it a separate series it would only be affected by backlash mildly, kinda like how alot of SE fans are discontent with the decision of making two mainline Final Fantasy games MMORPGs instead of making them a separate game.

@Portal. I personally find the metal clanging and the buzz of the alarm and the silence and echo of sounds to be frightening to children, and to not be in the things that attract them to a form of entertainment.

@Reason for new series. Makes sense, that's what I thought you meant. Personally, I think, if they do a good enough job at making it inherently appealing/attractive for both children and adults alike, they should just make the game follow that direction, and be it as progressively as they like so as to not alienate a userbase.

Good posts.