By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sex and the Zero Suit: Why Samus was Great Only in Metroid Prime

Khuutra said:

One of the worse things about Other M is how it tried to pretend that Adam was the primary influence on Samus as a person, instead of the Chozo, who had already been established as Samus's family after she was orphaned

One more layer to the argument that Adam was a self-insert for the director

Also one more reaosn that characterization of Samus was horrible

I disagree with you.  Adam wasn't the primary influence on Samus as a person, she just has a lot of respect for him.  Bad writing aside, the point of her opposing Adam was that she was her own person.  Again it was horribly written, I mean the thumbs down was stupid, but that's how I always saw it.  And Samus' characterization wasn't horrible, it's just that Sakomoto wanted to show how she was scarred from Ridley.  I mean if Bruce Wayne can get so scarred as to become Batman by watching his parents die, Samus can have post posttraumatic stress disorder from watching Ridley kill her parents.  The only problem, again back to the bad writing, was that she should have been over it since she beat him a few times.  Right idea, bad part of the time line to put it in.  Last note for me, Other M's storytelling probably wouldn't have been so bad if Samus wasn't narrating anything, I mean, they had her narrating part of the story that literally happened seconds ago.  Such a bad idea.

Around the Network
darkknightkryta said:
Khuutra said:

One of the worse things about Other M is how it tried to pretend that Adam was the primary influence on Samus as a person, instead of the Chozo, who had already been established as Samus's family after she was orphaned

I disagree with you.  Adam wasn't the primary influence on Samus as a person, she just has a lot of respect for him.  Bad writing aside, the point of her opposing Adam was that she was her own person.  Again it was horribly written, I mean the thumbs down was stupid, but that's how I always saw it.  And Samus' characterization wasn't horrible, it's just that Sakomoto wanted to show how she was scarred from Ridley.  I mean if Bruce Wayne can get so scarred as to become Batman by watching his parents die, Samus can have post posttraumatic stress disorder from watching Ridley kill her parents.  The only problem, again back to the bad writing, was that she should have been over it since she beat him a few times.  Right idea, bad part of the time line to put it in.  Last note for me, Other M's storytelling probably wouldn't have been so bad if Samus wasn't narrating anything, I mean, they had her narrating part of the story that literally happened seconds ago.  Such a bad idea.

I agree. I could see a lot of what they were clearly trying to do in Other M, and i did not disapprove of it, but implemented as it was, it had a lot of unfortunate implications.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

All this talk about Samus makes me want to finally finish Echoes.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

OK so I'm playing Echoes but I don't remember what I'm supposed to do, and of course it doesn't tell me what my objective is. The last boss I remember fighting is Chykka. when I press the 1 button there are 3 purple dots in the bottom right corner of the screen. Are those temple keys? does that mean it's time to fight another boss?

nevermind, I figured out what I'm supposed to do.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
darkknightkryta said:
Khuutra said:

I agree. I could see a lot of what they were clearly trying to do in Other M, and i did not disapprove of it, but implemented as it was, it had a lot of unfortunate implications.

Indeed

Nice discussion . Good job gang

Username69 said:
Nice discussion . Good job gang

You're not supposed to bump threads for no reason (need to at least make a contribution), for future reference.

Welcome to the Chartz!

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

tl;dr, but the little I read of that rant article made me think "Malstrom meets political correctness nut jobs".   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:

tl;dr, but the little I read of that rant article made me think "Malstrom meets political correctness nut jobs".   

Saying that Samus is best when she's essentially genderless, and voiceless, is political correctness? How?