By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sex and the Zero Suit: Why Samus was Great Only in Metroid Prime

Khuutra said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Khuutra said:

Okay. Now that you've read it.

What part of my argument qualifies as "political correctness"?

Proposing that the solution SHOULD, not COULD be making her more neuter. My point is that actually she could be sexy if it isn't gratuitous, it's well blended in the game and justified by the circumstances, she remains a strong character and doesn't become a sex object, etc., just like Lara Croft.  BTW, thinking again about it, I don't find the latest Samus so sexy, despite her appearance meant to be so, but this could still be seen as a badly executed design, that contributes to just attract simple-minded males and prevent woman from identifying with her, spoiling their gameplay. One last bit about the silliness of eccessive political correctness: if a third person game's male PC is designed with a nice ass, many female gamers (and gaymers too) will definitely watch it, so let's stop altogether just scolding straight male gamers for this natural behaviour, and let just mock them if they pay and play a bad game just for some digital asses and boobs. Again, the commandment for devs and designers shouldn't be "don't do it", but "if you really want to do it, do it well".

Suggesting that Samus is more effective when her sex isn't the focus of her character isn't politically correct; "politically correct" refers to a solution that results in the smallest number of pissed off people. Progressive gender disccusion =/= political correctness

As I said previously in the topic: this discussion is not about shaming people about the things they like. It's okay to like sexy ladies, latex catsuits, titties, all sorts of things. I like those things. It's okay to like those things on Samus, even.

But the most powerful representation of her character stripped away any sense of Samus being anyone except for the player. Samus is the player; she is the perfect archetypal faceless hero; she also happens to be a woman.

That's it.

Yes, written this way it gives more the idea of what you mean, the original article gave me more, in some of its parts, an undefinable political correctness feeling

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!