By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sex and the Zero Suit: Why Samus was Great Only in Metroid Prime

Khuutra said:
seiya19 said:
Khuutra said:

It is not clear what point you are trying to make here

Just that the current views of Feminism in developed countries are far from being as simple and clear as when the movement was created, which has cast doubt on whether these are justified or not, even from some of those who support its original principle of gender "equality" and identify themselves as "feminists" (like the writers mentioned above). The movement already managed to achieve most, if not all, of their original goals in these countries, making some people wonder if the current situation isn't as good as it gets.

Just that.

To clarify: your point is that some people wonder whether or not it's impossible to progress further in terms of social equalities and gender-based privileges, thereby calling into question, for them, the purpose of the feminist discourse?

I don't see how that reflects on the reality of the aim of the discourse; more, I do not think it relates to this topic.

Close, but not quite. It's not just whether is possible or not to get closer to end all gender-based discrimination (an utopian objective, but one that we should still strive for), but also whether the specific objectives that Feminism currently pursues are justified from a moral point of view, according to the principle of "equality". As Pineapple pointed out, there's a difference between equal opportunity and equal results, and when you try to force things to be equal because you believe a discriminatory act is taking place, you might end up either punishing men or privileging women just because of their gender. Not all differences in result are due to discrimination, and sexism can go both ways. And of course, there's also issues related to crime, freedom of speech, parenthood and so on.

Sure, the problem is not in the overall aim of the movement and its basic principles per se, but rather on the execution to get there. Not to mention those that have their own personal agenda and use Feminism as an excuse to get there.

Anyway... Hopefully I managed to make my points clear now... Keep in mind that English is not my native language, so I may make some mistakes from time to time.

And I realize that all this isn't directly related to this topic, but my intention was just to add to what was mentioned before me about Feminism by you and others. I didn't expect to write this much. And I won't post again.

Around the Network
seiya19 said:
Khuutra said:

To clarify: your point is that some people wonder whether or not it's impossible to progress further in terms of social equalities and gender-based privileges, thereby calling into question, for them, the purpose of the feminist discourse?

I don't see how that reflects on the reality of the aim of the discourse; more, I do not think it relates to this topic.

Close, but not quite. It's not just whether is possible or not to get closer to end all gender-based discrimination (an utopian objective, but one that we should still strive for), but also whether the specific objectives that Feminism currently pursues are justified from a moral point of view, according to the principle of "equality". As Pineapple pointed out, there's a difference between equal opportunity and equal results, and when you try to force things to be equal because you believe a discriminatory act is taking place, you might end up either punishing men or privileging women just because of their gender. Not all differences in result are due to discrimination, and sexism can go both ways. And of course, there's also issues related to crime, freedom of speech, parenthood and so on.

Sure, the problem is not in the overall aim of the movement and its basic principles per se, but rather on the execution to get there. Not to mention those that have their own personal agenda and use Feminism as an excuse to get there.

Anyway... Hopefully I managed to make my points clear now... Keep in mind that English is not my native language, so I may make some mistakes from time to time.

And I realize that all this isn't directly related to this topic, but my intention was just to add to what was mentioned before me about Feminism by you and others. I didn't expect to write this much. And I won't post again.

That was very clear, thank you.

Feel free to participate in the topic if you like; there's nothing keeping you from posting if you want to (unless you have no opinion on the archetype of the faceless hero, I guess)

Kasz216 said:

What you are missing is... such choices aren't biological, but cultural.

Women do those things because more often because society expects them to do those things more often.

Long after equaity is achieved do to choices, unequality needs to be recognized because unequal choices will be made due to socialization.

I mean, when you think about how much kids get culturally programmed when they're younger.

Think about the kind of stuff you'd buy a 2 year old boy and a 2 year old girl... or the things you'd say about each or treat each.

You're right that it's debateable whether they're cultural or biological. There's no doubt that it's cultural as well, but I firmly believe that it's mostly biological. The cultural bit largely just came from the biological bit. If women didn't intensely want to care for their children, the children wouldn't grow up. Additionally, they have carried the children inside them for 9 months by the time they're born. The men haven't. That's a vital difference.

The cultural bit obviously affects this a bit, but I believe it's largely just an amplifier. If you try making a 2 year old boy play with dolls, it's going to be a limited success. If you give him a toy car, chances are he'll love it. Having said that, the way people behave towards the children also matters as well.

Pineapple said:

You're right that it's debateable whether they're cultural or biological. There's no doubt that it's cultural as well, but I firmly believe that it's mostly biological. The cultural bit largely just came from the biological bit. If women didn't intensely want to care for their children, the children wouldn't grow up. Additionally, they have carried the children inside them for 9 months by the time they're born. The men haven't. That's a vital difference.

The cultural bit obviously affects this a bit, but I believe it's largely just an amplifier. If you try making a 2 year old boy play with dolls, it's going to be a limited success. If you give him a toy car, chances are he'll love it. Having said that, the way people behave towards the children also matters as well.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2005/jun/15/childrensservices.familyandrelationships

Studies often suggest it's primarily cultural and that child-rearing, over much larger spans of time, was a more equal chore for both men and women.

And the question of gender-based interests isn't really very valid; most of the time children are just responding to what has been reinforced as 'appropriate' for them when they're assigned specific gender roles before they've been able to form their own identities

But this shit is off topic and I will strangle both of you with my mind if we don't get back to talk about Samus's boobs

Khuutra said:
Pineapple said:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2005/jun/15/childrensservices.familyandrelationships

Studies often suggest it's primarily cultural and that child-rearing, over much larger spans of time, was a more equal chore for both men and women.

And the question of gender-based interests isn't really very valid; most of the time children are just responding to what has been reinforced as 'appropriate' for them when they're assigned specific gender roles before they've been able to form their own identities

But this shit is off topic and I will strangle both of you with my mind if we don't get back to talk about Samus's boobs

right away, sir

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
Pineapple said:

Really i'd consider it suplemental information for understanding the topic at hand.  

Though yeah, your post sums it up.

I'd point one thing out though... before the Zero Suit... i'd suggest most people were mostly ignorant of the whole "sex as a reward for beating the game quicker" thing.

I mean, maybe you could attribute it to earlier times or whatever... but I don't remember hearing any large complaints about Samus and this issue until the introduction of zero suit. 

Likely i'd say this is due to it changing from a "Time" issue, to a "completeness" issue.

As it takes a lot of skill, practice and repeated play for time.

While completeness just takes patience.

Perspective lends a lot to this discussion, yes. The first game probably did this the most out of all the classic titles, excepting maybe the Japanese version of Zero Mission.

Khuutra said:
Pineapple said:

These boobs?

darkknightkryta said:
Khuutra said:
Pineapple said:

These boobs?

I was wondering why you posted this when i already had posted something by the same artist, only to find my image link is now broken.

Damn internet...

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:

I was wondering why you posted this when i already had posted something by the same artist, only to find my image link is now broken.

Damn internet...

Interesting, I didn't see any of his art in this thread O.O... damn internet!