Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Size of 3DS Games

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Pretty amazing how the 3DS cart limit is 8 gigabytes while the (seemingly) massive title Skyrim only contains 5,5.

(..)

That small??

I once unpacked Napoleon: Total War after the install on PC, and that was like ten times as large!

Around the Network
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Pretty amazing how the 3DS cart limit is 8 gigabytes while the (seemingly) massive title Skyrim only contains 5,5.

I'd now like to see some huge Zelda games made for my 3DS, do it Nintendo! :D

Even SS was only a bit over 4 GB. Maybe we'll see a massive 6-8 GB Zelda at the Twilight of the 3DS's life.

Love and tolerate.

It just shows to me that a game doesn't have to be big in order to be fun. Pilotwings Resort is very enjoyable if you are the type of person that likes to go for perfect scores.

I'm actually a little surprised that it's smaller than Steel Diver.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Steel Diver should never have been a retail release. It should have been a $5 eShop game.

cusman said:

Steel Diver should never have been a retail release. It should have been a $5 eShop game.

Come on it deserves at least 8

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
cusman said:

Come on it deserves at least 8

Yeah, I'm kind of torn on Steel Diver.  

While it's a really fun game to play and you can get a lot of play time out of it, I do think that there should be more missions.  I do think that it should have been a retail release, but maybe at $19.99.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

sethnintendo said:
ZaP~ said:
That is mostly because Nintendo doesn't uses too much CGI animation, rather than that, almost always uses animation via ingame models. Also Nintendo saves some space in the audio department.

What is Nintendo's most CGI intensive game?  Metroid: Other M?  I have no clue since I never got it.  Perhaps, I'll get it cheap someday.

Other M and also Pandoras Tower have many cut-scenes. I don't know, what is produced by the game-engine and what is pre-recorded (and takes space) though.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019

Predictions: Switch / Switch vs. XB1 in the US / Three Houses first quarter

cusman said:

I completely agree, and I might add it should have been a packed in game along with Pilot Wing Resort.  Maybe this holiday season Nintendo will wise up and pack both games in for free as a bundle for the both 3DS's.  I already see the original 3DS getting a price cut at Walmart (it's 159 there now) which makes sense with Nintendo saying that the sytem is profitable since last month.  In terms of SDHC cards, fry's has a Patroid LX class 10 32GB for ~$24 if anyone is interested?  I for one picked up a 16GB class 10 for $14 and I think I will be fine for a long time for the  3DS.  I have a 4GB on the Wii which was barely touched by 8 Wiiware  and 15 VC games.

Kenology said:
Ocarina of Time 3DS (60 MB) is almost double the size of Ocarina of Time N64 (32MB). Wonder why that is. That orchestral track probably took up a lot of space but I'm sure they have some sophisticated compression routines nowadays. Honestly can't think of what could account for all the extra space.

I'm not one of those tech guys but OoT 3D has more inputs thanks to the addition of the touch screen.  It has better music (which you mentioned) and the textures are much more detailed despite managing to maintain the nostalgic look of the original.  I has the extra mode added for when you beat the original, too.

That's my best guess, anyway.  I'm normally wrong about these things, though.

mZuzek loves Smeags. 😢

apparently the 3ds cards max out at 8GB. Almost 2 DVD's worth......
Pretty impressive......