By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - One of the things that I believed collapsed the Final Fantasy franchise - Music

Chris Hu said:

I don't thing if it would have been a multi-platform game would have helped out sales much either.  All console JRPG's had poor sales this generation.  At least it sold better then Mistwalker's follow up game The Last Story which numbers are a lot worse and I don't think its upcoming US release will help its total numbers much.

I highly disagree, most multiplat Japanese games enjoyed respectable and/or higher sales on the PS3.

A random example: Resonance of Fate PS3 0.62 / X360 0.28

Wait a sec, The Last Story just came out and it's not even out in the US.

You couldn't be more wrong in everything you said.

Around the Network
DigitalDevilSummoner said:
Chris Hu said:

I don't thing if it would have been a multi-platform game would have helped out sales much either.  All console JRPG's had poor sales this generation.  At least it sold better then Mistwalker's follow up game The Last Story which numbers are a lot worse and I don't think its upcoming US release will help its total numbers much.

I highly disagree, most multiplat Japanese games enjoyed respectable and/or higher sales on the PS3.

A random example:  PS3 0.62 / X360 0.28

But overall console JRPG's sales are down this generation and you gave a prime example Resononace of Fates overall sales are terrible and only slighly better then Lost Odyssey despite being muli-platform.  Still doubt that Lost Odyssey would have sold much better if it was multiplat since it failed to sell more then Blue Dragon did in Japan.

Chris Hu said:

A random example: Resonance of Fate PS3 0.62 / X360 0.28

Wait a sec, The Last Story just came out and it's not even out in the US.

You couldn't be more wrong in everything you said.

The Last Story was first released in Japan in on January 11th, 2011 that's almost a year and a half ago its Japense sales numbers are pretty much final since it only managed to sell less then 2,000 copies so far this year.  It European numbers aren't going to get much better it been available there since February 4th of this year and I highly doubt that the US release on August 14th will give the games total sales much of a boost.

Music didn't kill the game, lol.. You're so oblivious and an attention whore for even suggesting that kind of idea. The bad gameplay, and story killed the franchise as we knew it, not the music.

I don't care about your thoughts or your doubts.

Have you presented a counter argument to the fact that most multiplat japanese games sold better on the PS3 ? No.

So, Gilgamesh was right in saying it should have gone multiplat.

Around the Network

Yeah, I know they are just trying to pointlessly discredit anything past IX.

By your logic FF XI was good only because it brought in money but FF XIII was not good even though it brought in money ? What kinda logic is that ? FF XI and XIV shouldn't have been numbered FF games. Period.

And, no I don't think trying something new is damaging the FF brand. I don't even consider XIII to be such a great game, I just respect the developers trying to keep the franchise alive and relevant, instead of being a remnant.

So, let me irk these fans even more, these fans who by talking louder think they matter more:

Final Fantasy XIII enjoys stellar reviews. It ended up getting a direct sequel and probably, for the first time in FF history, even a second one. Between Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2, the project has sold 9.6 million units worldwide, in these market conditions:

Final Fantasy XIII is a success, it won.

I'm not discrediting anything past FF9. FF12 was a good game, but it was not pefect.

Where have I said anything about FF13 not making money? Your words were that the 'online installments have damaged the franchise'.

To say that FF11 'damaged' the franchise is completely wrong. I've never played FF11, I have no intention of playing FF11. At the same time SE have said it was financially their most successful game, and it seemed to be well recieved by fans. On that basis, its obviously not the reason the franchise has been degraded.

Maybe FF11/FF14 shouldnt be numbered installments. I dont know or care, thats not the topic of discsussion here. I doubt they will make a numbered FF an online game again after FF14, but thats neither here nor there.

I dont know what your reffering to with 'something new'. But I think the big problems with FF13 are those that have come from the developers. Its these same developers who worked on FF8 (without much input from Sakaguchi). Its these same developers who worked on FF10/10-2 (althought Sakaguchi did input a lot into FF10). Its these same developers who worked on the abhoration that is the FF7 compilation. Its these same developers who made FF13 the way they did to appeal to a western fanbase. Its these same developers who have sunk the Parasite Eve reboot. There is clearly a pattern here. you dont have be a dectective to see that the developers are the problem. Whether or not they brought 'newness' to the Final Fantasy franchise, they clearly have made repeated mistakes that have proliferated from FF8; which is the period of time Sakaguchi took a step back from the series to focus on The Spirits Within movie.

I dont know how you can say 'FF13 won'. When the developers have experienced so many problems during a prolonged five year development. FF13-2 was developed in response to the problems of FF13. How can 'it win' if the sequel was developed to 'appologise' for the predecessor.

And I really dont want to talk about critical reviews. You can look at those reviews if you must. They pretty much all say the same thing without addressing the undelying problem.

Sales wise 'in these market conditions'. You mean the same market conditions where Skyrim sold over 10 mil copies in a shorter space of time. Where FF13 has has two games sell less than Skyrim in a shorter space of time. Not to mention the fact in these same market conditions, sequels are selling more copies than their predecssors; Mass Effect 2, Uncharted 2. And FF13 was so well recieved that it sequel sold less copies than the former, in the same market conditions where sequels are selling more copies than their predecessors.

FF13 may have won something, but there is no denying these gains have been offset by 'greatly damaging the FF brand' as Yochi Wada put it.

I disagree. I think the music in more recent FF games is of similar quality, it's more that the music doesn't fit as well with the events occurring in the game. To put it bluntly, the games have less memorable and emotional moments that really allow you to connect with the music.

Having said that, I thought FFX had some outstanding music that was played at just the right moments. XII and XIII are debatable, but I think to people that enjoyed those games, the music would be more enjoyable and memorable. As I didn't enjoy XIII (and to a lesser extent XII) I don't really care about the music. I have the same thing with FFIX as I didn't enjoy it the first time I played it, but I know many people that love the game and the music.

everyone argues about the sames things in different threads with the same people :P.

I don't care about your thoughts or your doubts.

Have you presented a counter argument to the fact that most multiplat japanese games sold better on the PS3 ? No.

So, Gilgamesh was right in saying it should have gone multiplat.

Well it couldn't have gone multiplat since Micorsoft owns the IP and paid for most of the games development so he shouldn't have even brought up that it should have gone multi-platform.  So yeah Gilgamesh was dead wrong when he said it should have gone multi-platform.  The Last Story can't go multi-platform either because it was co developed with Nintendo.

The music's fine; it's that the environments got WAY too big.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.