By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - What has Obama done that is good for the World?

Tagged games:

he sung some Al Green so he's done enough :p

Around the Network

Even if you accept the fallacy that Obama is anything more than a puppet for the system, you can't really say he's done much other than continue Bush's policies or expand upon them. At least when we're talking about the issues that really matter. We still have the Patriot Act, still have the fraudulant Federal Reserve which is causing inflation at a rapid rate and doesn't even answer to the government, still in the illegal wars of Afghanistan and Iraq, still sending jobs oversees, still have the TSA and their virtual strip search along with the phony war on terror, still have wiretapping and other big brother tactics, still the detrimental "war" on drugs, still have NATO, still losing our civil liberties, economy's still in the crapper, etc etc..

Sadly, some people like my mom still think Obama's great for the simple fact that he's a democrat, he's well spoken, and happens to support a few minor social issues she supports like gay marriage. This is the problem with the party system. If he is of the opposite party, he is "good enough." Politicians are often judged simply on their party, rather than their personal track record. This is a dangerous thought process.. And besides, republicans and democrats are actually very similar, only differing on a few minor issues. They are simply there to give you the illusion that you actually have a choice. We shouldn't have to simply pick between the lesser of evils.

I actually voted for Obama, despite my suspisions that he wouldn't and couldn't deliver on his promises of change, because we desperately needed a change from Bush, Cheney, and the neocons. but it's clear now that Obama is simply there is keep the status quo - not to change it. Despite a few minor issues here and there that mean little in the grand scheme of things, I fear that is the way it will always be, no matter who is in office.

Ron Paul was the man that could have actually made a difference - and a difference for the BETTER, but the Republicans stupidly chose Romney for their candidate.

HappySqurriel said:
TadpoleJackson said:
Funtime said:
Rofl, watching right wing and left wing Americans argue in circles with each other on television and on radio is bad enough. Now I get to see people doing it on a gaming forum using regurgitated rhetoric they heard from their favourite talking heads on Fox or CNN.

Hah, jokes on you! No one watches CNN!

I used to watch CNN ...

CNN has (essentially) committed suicide in the past 12 to 18 months. They spent a couple decades building a brand based on unbiased quality journalism and, while they did have issues with bias, they mostly remained non-partisan; at least compared to MSNBC and Fox. Over the past couple of years a large portion of experienced employees (who generally hid or balanced their biases) have left CNN and been replaced by a bunch of partisan hacks.

Since a large portion of CNN's userbase were people who got their news from multiple sources and were looking for professional and unbiased news from CNN, their massive partisan shift alienated most of their userbase.

That's because the CEO of CNN has been replaced by the CEO of  HLN (Headline News).

Which is basically a more tabloidy MSNBC.

Funny part is...   CNN often had the most viewers. 

It happened.... whenever there was a story of National interest.

Essentially Moderates loved CNN... moderates and those who don't watch the news much.

Also... I wouldn't really give him credit for any of the above. They were all really just him being there at the right part of the timeline of stuff that was set in motion by the guy before him.

As for something Good he's done... I'd mention the support of Egyptian Democracy even after it became obvious the Muslim brotherhood would win the elections... giving them all kinds of aid both politically and economically.

It's funny he's getting flack from the secularists there for supporting the Muslim Brotherhood too much... and that the US secretly rigged things so they would win.

What has other president done that is good for the world???
fill it in...
George W. Bush - ??????
Bill Clinton - ??????
Bush (senior) - ??????
Reagan - ??????
Ford - ??????
Nixon - ???????
Johnsn - ???????
JFK - ??????
Eisenhower - ???????
Truman - ????????
Roosevelt - ??????
...and so on

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:

The question is in the title.

What has this dude actually done other than closing down iraq and making an Afghanistan pull out timeline for the soldiers there? I guess we can also give him credit for "catching" Bin Laden.

What else?

Both plans for winding down Iraq and Afghanistan were put into place well before Obama took office, and now Obama takes credit for "ending" the war in Iraq.  But when it comes to Afghanistan, Obama decided to do his own little "surge" just like Bush did with Iraq, and would you believe it.... more soldiers have been killed in Afghanistan under Obama's watch in just a little over 3 years than had been killed over the entire duration of the war under Bush.

Getting Bin Laden is his only real accomplishment IMO, but again, he didn't do that on his own, either.  Hey, that's funny... the guy who tells successful business owners that they didn't "build it on their own" is taking full credit for Iraq and OBL!!!

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

aikohualda said:
fill it in...
George W. Bush - Greatly increased aid to Africa
Bill Clinton - Kosovo
Bush (senior) - Startegic Arms Reduction Treaty/First world war.
Reagan - "Won" the cold war.
Ford - ??????
Nixon - SALT Treaty.
Johnsn - ???????
JFK - stopped nuclear holcaust
Eisenhower - ???????
Truman - Whole bunch.  Marshall Plan comes to mind the ;oudest
Roosevelt - Turned the tide in WW2 by specifically lieing to his own people?
...and so on

Filled in the ones I knew off the top of my head.

Kasz216 said:
HappySqurriel said:
TadpoleJackson said:
Funtime said:
Rofl, watching right wing and left wing Americans argue in circles with each other on television and on radio is bad enough. Now I get to see people doing it on a gaming forum using regurgitated rhetoric they heard from their favourite talking heads on Fox or CNN.

I used to watch CNN ...

CNN has (essentially) committed suicide in the past 12 to 18 months. They spent a couple decades building a brand based on unbiased quality journalism and, while they did have issues with bias, they mostly remained non-partisan; at least compared to MSNBC and Fox. Over the past couple of years a large portion of experienced employees (who generally hid or balanced their biases) have left CNN and been replaced by a bunch of partisan hacks.

Since a large portion of CNN's userbase were people who got their news from multiple sources and were looking for professional and unbiased news from CNN, their massive partisan shift alienated most of their userbase.

That's because the CEO of CNN has been replaced by the CEO of  HLN (Headline News).

Essentially Moderates loved CNN... moderates and those who don't watch the news much.

CNN always had the most viewers because it used to be the only game in town, and was also available on just about every single basic cable or satellite package out there, whereas Fox and MSNBC were not available in all homes as not all cable / satellite providers carried them.

After the 2000 election and especially 9/11, Fox rose to prominence because they were the only ones to call the 2000 election correctly, and people started seeing through the bias that CNN had for Democrats and the left-wing in this country all these years (CNN was founded and run by ultra-liberal Ted Turner).

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Kasz216 said:
aikohualda said:
fill it in...
George W. Bush - Greatly increased aid to Africa
Bill Clinton - Kosovo
Bush (senior) - Startegic Arms Reduction Treaty/First world war.
Reagan - "Won" the cold war.
Ford - ??????
Nixon - SALT Treaty.
Johnsn - ???????
JFK - stopped nuclear holcaust
Eisenhower - ???????
Truman - Whole bunch.  Marshall Plan comes to mind the ;oudest
Roosevelt - Turned the tide in WW2 by specifically lieing to his own people?
...and so on

Filled in the ones I knew off the top of my head.

to be honest im actually impressed :)

NightDragon83 said:
Kasz216 said:
HappySqurriel said:
TadpoleJackson said:
Funtime said:

I used to watch CNN ...

CNN always had the most viewers because it used to be the only game in town, and was also available on just about every single basic cable or satellite package out there, whereas Fox and MSNBC were not available in all homes as not all cable / satellite providers carried them.

After the 2000 election and especially 9/11, Fox rose to prominence because they were the only ones to call the 2000 election correctly, and people started seeing through the bias that CNN had for Democrats and the left-wing in this country all these years (CNN was founded and run by ultra-liberal Ted Turner).

Until recently, CNN (at least) tried to appear non-partisan ...

I used to watch CNN in the gym in the morning while running on the treadmill. This was one of the channels you could count on being on one of the 6 gym TVs because one of the dozens of people working out would request it if it wasn't on. I don't exactly know why it was so popular but I suspect that most of the people were like me and wanted a show that had a lot of international and economic news and didn't want it to have an obvious political slant.

I watched the show for a full month after Soledad O'Brien took over, and (by then) I was done. Outside of wearing an "I ♥ Obama" T-Shirt there is little she didn't do to demonstrate her overwhelming favouritism.

I understand that some people hold certain beliefs very closely and can not remain impartial no matter how hard they try, but these people should never report on a news story when their beliefs are so strong. In the case of political beliefs, when someone believes that an individual or political party can do no wrong they should (probably) not be the anchor of a news show on a major news network because their bias will influence everything they report on.