By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Kantor said:
Player1x3 said:
Kantor said:

That is silly. Being black is not a choice. Being a homophobic bigot is a choice.

Being an intolerant local tyrant anti-first amendment liberal hypocrite is also a choice

Cathy isn't being prosecuted for his remarks, so the first amendment is not being violated.

If he's being prosecuted, it's probs cause it was violated in the first place.

Around the Network
Kantor said:
Player1x3 said:
Kantor said:
mrstickball said:
I haven't read every comment, but how many people are discussing the fact that Rahm Emmanuel and Boston's mayor are using the power of their office to bar a business from their cities, whereas the statement from Truett Cathy has virtually no bearing on the business, nor people that are gay?

Talk about a double standard. If Chicago or Boston banned a business because it was run by blacks, wouldn't that be pretty bigoted? Only one entity in this discussion effects anyone else - and it isn't Chick-fil-A or Truett Cathy.

That is silly. Being black is not a choice. Being a homophobic bigot is a choice.

Being an intolerant local tyrant anti-first amendment liberal hypocrite is also a choice

Cathy isn't being prosecuted for his remarks, so the first amendment is not being violated.

People try to stop him from  opening new stores in some cities which sounds pretty discriminatory to me

Player1x3 said:
Kantor said:
Player1x3 said:
Kantor said:
mrstickball said:
I haven't read every comment, but how many people are discussing the fact that Rahm Emmanuel and Boston's mayor are using the power of their office to bar a business from their cities, whereas the statement from Truett Cathy has virtually no bearing on the business, nor people that are gay?

Talk about a double standard. If Chicago or Boston banned a business because it was run by blacks, wouldn't that be pretty bigoted? Only one entity in this discussion effects anyone else - and it isn't Chick-fil-A or Truett Cathy.

People try to stop him from  opening new stores in some cities which sounds pretty discriminatory to me

The degree to which they are trying is up for debate. The Chicago guy is saying things, but hasn't actually done anything. Meanwhile the Boston guy never said anything explicit, just a general discouragement.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:

The degree to which they are trying is up for debate. The Chicago guy is saying things, but hasn't actually done anything. Meanwhile the Boston guy never said anything explicit, just a general discouragement.

This Chicago guy is saying he is actually going to do a thing.

Jesus loves everybody, including homosexuals; the Bible condemns certain behaviors as immoral, including homosexuality. Get over it, get over it, get over it.

Around the Network
badgenome said:
Mr Khan said:

This Chicago guy is saying he is actually going to do a thing.

Isn't letting me read unless i sign in.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I found the original quote!

But Dan Cathy, president of the popular fast food chain Chick-fil-A, has done just that, saying on a radio show that 

“we’re inviting God’s judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say we know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage. And I pray God’s mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude that thinks we have the audacity to redefine what marriage is all about.”

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-leadership/post/chick-fil-a-president-dan-cathy-bites-into-gay-marriage-debate/2012/07/19/gJQACrvzvW_blog.html

And the reply to questions:

Moreno referred to Cathy's recent interview with the Biblical Recorder, where he was asked about the opposition the company has been seeing for its support of the traditional family.

"Well, guilty as charged," Cathy told the Recorder. "We are very much supportive of the family – the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that."

Source http://www.christianpost.com/news/i-wont-let-chick-fil-a-in-my-ward-says-chicago-alderman-78892/#PDcHsAeZRPct7pJO.99

happydolphin said:

I found the original quote!

But Dan Cathy, president of the popular fast food chain Chick-fil-A, has done just that, saying on a radio show that 

“we’re inviting God’s judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say we know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage. And I pray God’s mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude that thinks we have the audacity to redefine what marriage is all about.”

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-leadership/post/chick-fil-a-president-dan-cathy-bites-into-gay-marriage-debate/2012/07/19/gJQACrvzvW_blog.html

I wonder if he complained when marriage was redefined the last time. Also, if he honestly believes that altering marriage is a bigger concern for god than racism, poverty, rape and murder then he needs to have his head checked. We have far worse problems that I'm certain would be far more concerning to any possible deity.

Kantor said:
Player1x3 said:
Kantor said:
mrstickball said:

Actually, his first amendment IS being violated if politicians in multiple cities are exerting political power against he and his company.

I have no qualms if individuals or even companies (such as the Muppets) want to fire back at Chick-fil-A for what happened. However, when politicians step in, I start thinking of "Hate speech" laws and using such things to supress various kinds of speech.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

bouzane said:

I wonder if he complained when marriage was redefined the last time. Also, if he honestly believes that altering marriage is a bigger concern for god than racism, poverty, rape and murder then he needs to have his head checked. We have far worse problems that I'm certain would be far more concerning to any possible deity.

Everyone puts their time where their priorities are. The people who push for equality could also invest in feeding dying children in africa.

Stop using double-standards. This person has convictions, it's up to him to support the causes he considers important to him.

I find this argument moot.

To add:

Of course there are more important things in the world, but many people contribute to many different things. Alderman Moreno contributes to equality, Dan Cathy contributes to the sacredness (in his eyes) of one man one woman marriage. To each their own. Does it mean he doesn't realize the more imporant issues of life? We don't know. For all we know his church may be supporting many altrusitic organizations.

In other words you can't judge a man on the causes he supports because you don't know what community he's a part of and what other causes his community supports.