By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Chik-Fil-A Gay Fallout

theprof00 said:
Kasz216 said:
theprof00 said:
outlawauron said:

prof, I live in what most people would consider some of deepest parts of the 'Bible Belt' and despite that, what I said still rings true.

Yet the GOP in Colorado struck down the motion to give civil unions the same advantages.

I am happy that anecdotally, even, you are able to say that, but I feel it is a bit naive. There are very many who are making it a big deal to deny civil unions the same rights as marriage. As I explained earlier, it represents Obama's evolving udnerstanding of the debate. He offered to do away with the whole debate by saying, no same sex marriage, but allow civil unions with the same benefits. But, he can't get anyone to increase those privelages.

2 Weeks before he changed his stance, Colorado had struck down that motion. You don't get much more cause and effect than that. Even liberal Colorado is against giving civil unions the same benefits as marriage. The crazy thing is, there is LITERALLY no reason not to do so other than to deny rights to those who cannot be married. It doesn't even apply to polygamists or first cousins as:

A) more than two people cannot be in a civil union anyway
B) First cousin marriage is often recognized over statelines and any closer ties are denied civil unions as well

Literally no reason to strike that motion down.

Actually there were significant political reasons to do so.

The colorado bill wasn't put throug until towards the end of it's session.

You pretty much NEVER see any major legislation passed at the end of a session.

Why?  Momentum.   Had the bill passed, a certain part of the Democratic left would of been SUPER energized and excited.

Stuff like that really needs to be "Early/mid" session to convince the other side to give up such a valuable political chip.

Well that's just poopy

Yep...

Granted, Democrats will also get a bump from Republicans denying those rights... it just won't be as big of a bump.

I'm positive that's why all the big Civil Rights legislation never gets introduced in congress until the end of the session.

Democrats wouldn't want it passed if it meant the bump wears off by the time the elections come around.

Around the Network

Is this thread still about Chick-Fil-A?

NintendoPie said:

Not anymore!

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
NintendoPie said:

Not anymore!

I guessed as such.

It seems that the Alderman and the mayor of Chicago have had complaints filed against them with the attorney general of the state.

Around the Network

http://screen.yahoo.com/cfo-fired-for-bullying-chick-fil-a-employee-30175693.html

<div><iframe frameborder="0" width="576" height="324" src="http://d.yimg.com/nl/vyc/site/player.html#repeat=0&startScreenCarouselUI=hide&vid=30175693&shareUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fscreen.yahoo.com%2Fcfo-fired-for-bullying-chick-fil-a-employee-30175693.html&browseCarouselUI=hide"></iframe></div>

theprof00 said:
killerzX said:

surely you cant be serious.

unless of course you consider being in bed with democrats and the obama administration as being fair, and non-biased, down the middle reporting.

Let's clarify something here.

The "liberal bias" is republicans saying that liberal media is quick to defend liberals and quick to attack republicans.

The "republican bias" is Republican media like Fox BLATANTLY and SPECIFICALLY editting the words that come out of the president's mouth. Should we talk about the "you didn't build it" fiasco over at Fox? They LITERALLY editted what he said.

So on one hand we have the right 'complaining' that media is attacking them, and on the other we have obviously blind liberals defending slights that Republicans imagine the blind liberals have said.

Are we done playing the blame game now?

Also, are you for Romney? You do know he is a mormon, right. It's a religion that seeks to make 10-person marrying legally representable.

FIrst off the "you didn't build this" quote was absolutely NOT taken out of context and honestly the statement is even more damning to the POTUS when you listen to the whole speech. Secondly, it is the MSNBC crowd that does what you claim FOX does. Like the Romney ordering food at Wa Wa's fiasco where they edited the tape to make it seem as though Romney was out of touch. And there are other incidents aplenty.

Lastly the Mormon church has been against polygamy since the late 1800. In fact many Mormons who want to practice that have to leave Utah or risk being jailed for it.

Just an all around uniformed post on your part.

-CraZed- said:
theprof00 said:
killerzX said:

surely you cant be serious.

unless of course you consider being in bed with democrats and the obama administration as being fair, and non-biased, down the middle reporting.

Let's clarify something here.

The "liberal bias" is republicans saying that liberal media is quick to defend liberals and quick to attack republicans.

The "republican bias" is Republican media like Fox BLATANTLY and SPECIFICALLY editting the words that come out of the president's mouth. Should we talk about the "you didn't build it" fiasco over at Fox? They LITERALLY editted what he said.

So on one hand we have the right 'complaining' that media is attacking them, and on the other we have obviously blind liberals defending slights that Republicans imagine the blind liberals have said.

Are we done playing the blame game now?

Also, are you for Romney? You do know he is a mormon, right. It's a religion that seeks to make 10-person marrying legally representable.

FIrst off the "you didn't build this" quote was absolutely NOT taken out of context and honestly the statement is even more damning to the POTUS when you listen to the whole speech. Secondly, it is the MSNBC crowd that does what you claim FOX does. Like the Romney ordering food at Wa Wa's fiasco where they edited the tape to make it seem as though Romney was out of touch. And there are other incidents aplenty.

Lastly the Mormon church has been against polygamy since the late 1800. In fact many Mormons who want to practice that have to leave Utah or risk being jailed for it.

Just an all around uniformed post on your part.

It was totally taken out of context, which makes it all the more amusing that the Republicans built a central theme of their entire conference around a lie.

What he said was "You've got an educational system, roads, bridges... if you've got a business... you didn't build that." Which is true: no-one succeeds in a vacuum, and take advantage of the works of others including, yes, the Government. We all benefit from each other, which is why this "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" crap is just that.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.