By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
happydolphin said:
Kasz216 said:

They already have spoken out against the move.

I'd cite an article, except while it's been covered by multiple sources... oddly the only sources I can find are ones i'd consider not worthy of being cited.

Oddly the mainstream media seems to be avoiding it...

Outside Fox news anyway.

@bold. Why am I not surprised. Had this been the other way around it would be on all the channels and all the news.

You do realize it's because this isn't news, right? He can't actually deny anyone a permit and would be sued. This is playing to his base.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
nightsurge said:

Wow... first of all this whole thing is retarded. They aren't "Hating" on anyone or anything. All the guy did was give his personal opinion based on his religion, which is his right. He NEVER said anything about not allowing gays to eat at Chik-fil-A or even work there or any other means of discrimination.

Secondly, married people pay less taxes based on the TOTAL INCOME. It is common sense. If married people have a combined income of $50k they will pay LESS TAXES on that income than someone who is single making $50k because obviously the income is being split amongst twice as many people! Do they pay half the taxes that you do as a single person? NO!? OMG THAT'S NOT RIGHT, THEY ARE BEING TAXED TOO MUCH IT IS NOT FAIR! See how ridiculous that argument was?

There is something entirely different than being against a certain type of lifestyle and being outwardly preventative towards a lifestyle. Most Christians based on their religion (backed up by the Bible denouncing gay relationships) believe that being gay is wrong, but so is any other sin and no sin carries any more weight than another. All sin is sin. Now I am not saying that being gay is equal to murdering someone or anythig else hanus. Don't dare put those false words in my mouth. I am just saying any amount of sin will deny entry to heaven without belief in a savior. Any/all sin can be forgiven, I personally believe.

Now, without getting too religious, no one truly knows what causes someone to be gay whether it is genetic, chemical imbalances, personal choice, or just plain emotions and quite frankly I don't care. As a true Christian myself, I am against gay behavior as a personal belief, BUT I will never ever persecute or discriminate against a gay individual. I will treat them the same as anyone else and I will never try to push my beliefs down their throats. After all, it is not our job to judge.

So while Chik-fil-A's president said some things that are sure to upset people, I do not think ANYTHING in the company's practices has discriminated or given hate towards gay people. It was simple his religion based opinion and nothing more. It has just as much merit as anyone supporting gay marriage as well.

Peace out.

Couples in which one spouse earns all of the couple’s income never incur a marriage penalty and almost always receive a marriage bonus, because joint filing shifts the higher earner’s income into a lower tax bracket.

• Example of a marriage bonus: A wife earns $200,000 and her husband earns nothing. They have two children and itemize deductions equal to $40,000. Filing jointly, their taxable income is $146,801, on which their 2008 income tax liability is $27,848. But the AMT raises that liability to $30,825. If they could file separately, the husband as single and the wife as head of household with two children, the wife would owe taxes of $38,957 (including the AMT) and the husband would owe nothing. Their joint tax bill is $8,132 less than their combined individual tax bills, giving them a marriage bonus equal to 4.1 percent of their pretax income.
    (see example details)

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/briefing-book/key-elements/family/marriage-penalties.cfm

Whoever explained it to you explained wrong.

Secondly, now that I've shown you that married indeed get benefits over individuals, I never said that the chick-fil-a guy was completely in the wrong for voicing his morals. I HAVE called his morals hypocritical for the points I illustrated, ie, denying privelages to others because they were sinful.

I hear all the time that "you don't allow gay marriage because it promotes gay marriage. It allows for people to enter into sin more freely than to rise above the 'temptations' like they should be doing...we should not be telling these people that it's OK". Now, because it's so common to think that I'm 'boiling all Christians down to this stereotype or thought process', I will say that I am not. The anti-gay marriage crowd is so hard to fight because they all have different reasons. It's like the tea party. How do you argue with them? Each group within has like their own ideas and desires. For the anti same sex marriage crowds it's no different. Some say it's enabling, so no. Others say, "no because marriage is sacred"... etc etc. So when you solve the problem of marriage being sacred and say, "OK, so let's give them civil unions with marital benefits", it doesn't work, because the people that held that obstacle then shrink back while another group says "it's enabling". So yeah, it's frustrating, and yes, I think it's backwards and hypocritical. I mean, this is something that would HELP the economy, as well as making the rest of the world look at us again and say, "damn as much as I hate those americans, they're more progressive than we are once again".

There are a myriad of other benefits to marriage besides tax, including credit power, hospital visitation, tax free gifts to spouses, etc etc.

Firstly the benefit of filing a joint tax return by married couples is actually just a recent trend in perspective. Up until 2001 filing a married joint tax return did in fact create a marriage penalty. It was that way to supposedly level the playing field of joint filers with single filers. So only until the last decade or so (coinciding with the increased attention to gay marriage) has being married actually worked in favor of maried tax payers. What is worse is that this marriage shelter works in favor of those who have higher incomes especially for those who have larger income gaps between spouses. For example: Spouse 1 makes 80,000 and Spouse 2 makes 20,000 = 100,000 total income. They both file as making 50,000 giving them a tax advantage. Just another unfair advantage given out by our progressive tax system.

The problem with gay marriage proponents using this to support their arguement is again, they want it for themselves and no one else. They would rather join the ranks of heterosexual COUPLES than remove the preference all together alowing ANYONE to be married and still pay the same taxes despite their chosen lifestyle. I have said it before, polygamists will be watching the direction we go on this issue and when gay couples are successful in "equalizing" the playing field between them and heterosexuals they will have precedent for arguing against polygamy laws. And who could deny them? Based on what? How they share their resources? Sounds like private business to me just like who you sleep with.

I for one feel that the marriage advantage should be either removed or allowed to be used by ANYONE regardless of their sexual orientation or lifestyle. I happen to be married BTW. But that wouldn't make for good politics as it always seems that rather than truly leveling the playing field they just want what they want, everyone else be damned. Not to mention the entire tax system as it is is broken and wrong. But thats for another thread.

As for the other so-called benfits of marriage, removing uncle sam from the eqaution all together is the solution to those issues. For those in love with gay marriage how do you suppose the opponents will treat it when the have the regulatory powers that have been put in place? These issues should never have been njected into politics as the have only become weapons to weild against an opponent to garner power. It is only great when your guy is in power.

-CraZed- said:

1) Firstly the benefit of filing a joint tax return by married couples is actually just a recent trend in perspective. Up until 2001 filing a married joint tax return did in fact create a marriage penalty. It was that way to supposedly level the playing field of joint filers with single filers. So only until the last decade or so (coinciding with the increased attention to gay marriage) has being married actually worked in favor of maried tax payers. What is worse is that this marriage shelter works in favor of those who have higher incomes especially for those who have larger income gaps between spouses. For example: Spouse 1 makes 80,000 and Spouse 2 makes 20,000 = 100,000 total income. They both file as making 50,000 giving them a tax advantage. Just another unfair advantage given out by our progressive tax system.

2) The problem with gay marriage proponents using this to support their arguement is again, they want it for themselves and no one else. They would rather join the ranks of heterosexual COUPLES than remove the preference all together alowing ANYONE to be married and still pay the same taxes despite their chosen lifestyle. I have said it before, polygamists will be watching the direction we go on this issue and when gay couples are successful in "equalizing" the playing field between them and heterosexuals they will have precedent for arguing against polygamy laws. And who could deny them? Based on what? How they share their resources? Sounds like private business to me just like who you sleep with.

3) I for one feel that the marriage advantage should be either removed or allowed to be used by ANYONE regardless of their sexual orientation or lifestyle. I happen to be married BTW. But that wouldn't make for good politics as it always seems that rather than truly leveling the playing field they just want what they want, everyone else be damned. Not to mention the entire tax system as it is is broken and wrong. But thats for another thread.

4) As for the other so-called benfits of marriage, removing uncle sam from the eqaution all together is the solution to those issues. For those in love with gay marriage how do you suppose the opponents will treat it when the have the regulatory powers that have been put in place? These issues should never have been njected into politics as the have only become weapons to weild against an opponent to garner power. It is only great when your guy is in power.

1) What does the last ten years differentiate in the argument? That it doesn't really exist because it didn't, what, 11 years ago? If not, I'm not sure I know your point of bringing that up. Marriage penalty, referred to tax liability. However, like I said already, there are many other benefits of being married. For example, there have been laws for years that you could gift huge sums of money to a spouse without being taxed. One could win the lottery of 200k, gift it to a spouse, and not pay any tax on it. Or something like that. And yes, it does favor one making more than the other. Not a huge deal, as it doesn't really convey the expected argument of "it wouldn't actually help same sex marriage tax liability". Unless you didn't mean it in that way, in which case, I'm again confused as to what your point it. What I gather from the whole thing is that you're downplaying the advantages of marriage benefits. But you still can't deny that advantages exist and are common. Even if they are rare, is it a waste of time? Not really your call to make.

2) "They want it for themselves and noone else". What? Care to rephrase what you're saying? I assume you meant "homosexuals only CARE about their own rights, not everyone's". "They want it for themselves and noone else" is just a blatant spin. As for polygamists...I really don't care if they get the tax benefits. Again, marriage should not convey special rights to others, but it does, and they try to deny it to anyone else.

3) I'm glad you feel that way. However, couples do need tax benefits. Couples by nature have a predisposition to build a future for themselves. These people should be given breaks. Marriage is an economic boost in many ways. It is the entrance for many into home-buying, car-buying, family building. These investments build economies. Strengthening housing would strengthen the economy. Therefore, help couples to afford a house. It's simple.

4) Im not sure what you're saying here. Sorry.

theprof00 said:

You do realize it's because this isn't news, right? He can't actually deny anyone a permit and would be sued. This is playing to his base.

Ok, I guess. It's not because someone is sued that it doesn't make the news. If something is scandalous, and trust me the other way around would have been more than scandalous, I believe it would have been viral.

happydolphin said:
theprof00 said:

Ok, I guess. It's not because someone is sued that it doesn't make the news. If something is scandalous, and trust me the other way around would have been more than scandalous, I believe it would have been viral.

Ok, let me rephrase this for you.

A governer denounced Chic-Fil-A's president's words, citing that he won't get a permit in some specific part of his jurisdiction. Governor's words are denounced by the ACLU. Liberals agree that denying permits would be unlawful, even Jon Stewart of the Daily Show (our God).
 Where exactly is your problem?

By "other way around" you're referring to Oreo, correct? How is it that one company is defended by Republicans in a statement, and Oreo is denounced, yet both time liberals are in the wrong. Tell me that. We really can never be right. You have no idea how frustrating it is that we're always in the wrong according to your party.

Around the Network
bouzane said:
Cueil said:
who cares... I'm anti-special-rights you don't get special rights because you choose to be different

I hope that you're joking. If not, then how is equal treatment "special rights"? Also, if I choose to be gay than you choose to be straight, it's just that simple.

i cant marry a dude, either.

seems pretty equal rights to me.

bouzane said:
happydolphin said:
bouzane said:

I bash sexism, racism and homophobia. I have every right in the world to bash and belittle backward beliefs.

And where has anyone demonstrated homophobia? Where has anyone showcased backward beliefs?

Traditional is different from backwards. One is against progression, the other (the former) may be for progression. Remember, I said I was for family values. In my view, that's progression compared to the mainstream culture of today, as fed by television nowadays.

Also, I can't help but to think you're insinuating that either I or OP has done any of which you're accusing. In such a case, for my case you'd be wrong. For OP, neither you nor I know since neither of us have any of the original comments or facts, so it's bad to jump to conclusions like you're doing, if you're talking about OP.

Again, opposing same-sex marriage denies human beings the same rights as everyone else. "Traditional" marriage doesn't exist anymore and hasn't existed in quite some time so I don't see why it can not be made more inclusive. Would Christ want people to deny same-sex marriage? Is that truly treating others as you would have them treat you? God forbid we have everybody receiving the same benefits, the same right to adopt, etc...

i suppose you hold the very backward belief in denying people the right to marry their sisters, marry 10 different people, marry a 14 year old, etc. 

what a backward person, and un-christian person you are.

bouzane said:
homer said:
Good for chick-fil-a. Since businesses seem to care so much about political issues, it's good to see that some people still stand against liberal media oppressions despite the consequences that will arise. You have to be honest, if your stance is not pro-gay marriage or some form of indifference, the media will slaughter you and try to make you out to be a nazi or commie.

No offense but it  infuriates me to see somebody mindlessly drone on about this non-existant liberal media bias.

surely you cant be serious.

unless of course you consider being in bed with democrats and the obama administration as being fair, and non-biased, down the middle reporting.

killerzX said:
bouzane said:
happydolphin said:
bouzane said:

I bash sexism, racism and homophobia. I have every right in the world to bash and belittle backward beliefs.

And where has anyone demonstrated homophobia? Where has anyone showcased backward beliefs?

Traditional is different from backwards. One is against progression, the other (the former) may be for progression. Remember, I said I was for family values. In my view, that's progression compared to the mainstream culture of today, as fed by television nowadays.

Also, I can't help but to think you're insinuating that either I or OP has done any of which you're accusing. In such a case, for my case you'd be wrong. For OP, neither you nor I know since neither of us have any of the original comments or facts, so it's bad to jump to conclusions like you're doing, if you're talking about OP.

Again, opposing same-sex marriage denies human beings the same rights as everyone else. "Traditional" marriage doesn't exist anymore and hasn't existed in quite some time so I don't see why it can not be made more inclusive. Would Christ want people to deny same-sex marriage? Is that truly treating others as you would have them treat you? God forbid we have everybody receiving the same benefits, the same right to adopt, etc...

i suppose you hold the very backward belief in denying people the right to marry their sisters, marry 10 different people, marry a 14 year old, etc. 

what a backward person, and un-christian person you are.

I'm not against people marrying ten others, but scientifically, incest is harmful and generally involves abuse, similarly with a 14 year old, who scientifically, is not mature enough to make life-affecting decisions, and is also prone to abusive relationships and manipulation.

killerzX said:

surely you cant be serious.

unless of course you consider being in bed with democrats and the obama administration as being fair, and non-biased, down the middle reporting.

Let's clarify something here.

The "liberal bias" is republicans saying that liberal media is quick to defend liberals and quick to attack republicans.

The "republican bias" is Republican media like Fox BLATANTLY and SPECIFICALLY editting the words that come out of the president's mouth. Should we talk about the "you didn't build it" fiasco over at Fox? They LITERALLY editted what he said.

So on one hand we have the right 'complaining' that media is attacking them, and on the other we have obviously blind liberals defending slights that Republicans imagine the blind liberals have said.

Are we done playing the blame game now?

Also, are you for Romney? You do know he is a mormon, right. It's a religion that seeks to make 10-person marrying legally representable.