By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Some folks are clueless about 40gb PS3

I just use my PS2 for my ps2 games, people say PS2 games lack on PS3 anyway, i am totally happy with my 40 gig purchase.

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina

Around the Network

Idiots deserve to get screwed. And I can't believe people saying that the warning on the box isn't big enough! The warning has a box drawn around it to highlight the information and the word IMPORTANT printed in capital letters! Frankly it shouldn't need to have a warning on it anyway. Do DVD players have "IMPORTANT: This DVD player does not play VHS" written on them?

Advice to consumers: learn to read you cretins.

Played_Out said:
Idiots deserve to get screwed. And I can't believe people saying that the warning on the box isn't big enough! The warning has a box drawn around it to highlight the information and the word IMPORTANT printed in capital letters! Frankly it shouldn't need to have a warning on it anyway. Do DVD players have "IMPORTANT: This DVD player does not play VHS" written on them?

Advice to consumers: learn to read you cretins.

It should if it was a combo VHS/DVD drive that has the insides of the tape reader torn out yet still looks exactly like a working VHS/DVD combo.

im sorry. if your spending $400 on a console and are too lazy to read the features on the box, or even do research then your an idiot.

and whats confusing? two sku's. one plays ps2 games, one doesn't (as far as best buy is concerned).

now, sony cut costs in half with this BC-less sku and will be able to drop price again this year. to me thats 10x more important than some people getting angry because they dont do research.

People like Jandre are missing the point. The point is simply that Sony pushed BC over and over again as a part of there large opening marketing campaigns, before deciding that they were going to drop it out of one SKU, without promoting awareness of that fact in any way, shape or form save for a small, inconspicuous label amongst a wall of text on the back of the box. The average consumer is not stupid, the average consumer is just not a hardcore gamer that reads every bit of gaming news they can.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

you'd think a customer who intends on playing PS2 games on the PS3 would ask one of the sales people if the PS3 they want can play PS2 games, the one's that don't ask and aren't informed are just stupid.

I worked at EB games for a while, and every single person that asked me about the PS3 asked 2 questions, 1) can it play PS2 games?, 2) what does it offer that makes it cost so much?

I guess I've been lucky, because one of my friends at EB got a customer demanding mario on the xbox, my friend kept telling her that it's not on xbox but on the gamecube, the woman kept saying that her son said it was on xbox and that she wanted it, so yeah many dumb customers out their.

BC is important for me

BC is NOT important for the average consumer

U can still play your PS2 games using a PS2

U buy a PS3 "primarly" to play PS3 games or to play BR , not to play PS2 games

==> The 40gb model at 400$ (-100$) is best Sony's move of this generation so far

Time to Work !

I think the biggest problem with Sony's multiple SKUs are they are not properly named. by calling them 20GB, 40GB, 60GB, 80GB, it gives the impression that the only difference between them is the size of the hard drive. But of course, we all know that is not the case. They are all completely different in different ways (except the PAL 60GB and 80GB) but this isn't made clear.

Xbox360 has been another clusterfuck of SKUs, but the naming convention is much better. By saying "core" "arcade" "premium" "elite" it gives the impression that some of them have extra features, and you can then look and find out what those features are (hopefully they are spelled out clearly)

personally, I will not ever buy a PS3 unless it's backwards compatible. So unless Sony creates another PS3 with BC, there's one sale they'll never get.

if you can read this..... give me my account back dammit!!!!

One plus mention by Sony of PS3 not having BC is the system produces less heat. Less heat could add more time to a system so in the long run it could be smarter to buy a 40 gb then a PS2 separate (just a little more here in US than a 80gb). For me now PS3 is just too expensive to run ps2/ps games which adds wear and tear to the system.

I sure most are clueless that the 80gb runs hotter than the 40gb as well.

FishyJoe said:

I think multiple SKUs could be one of the big mistakes of this generation besides over pricing. Like others have said it's confusing. Also, it makes people wonder if another newer/better/cheaper model is around the corner. Combine that with constant price cutting and you condition consumers to wait instead of just buying right now.

If a consumer knows there will only be one model through the forseeable future and no price cuts, there is no reason to wait.

I totally agree. However, I do like the ability to add components later instead of having to buy a system with tons of accessories that aren't necessary for gaming and only serve to drive up the prices.

Nintendo is benefiting from having just one sku. And really, it cuts down on confusion, as posts on here show.

Regardless, it's still a hoot to read about folks who will pay that kind of money and realize they made a mistake. If I am going to spend $25 or more, I need to do some research on the item.