By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Some folks are clueless about 40gb PS3

I think multiple SKUs could be one of the big mistakes of this generation besides over pricing. Like others have said it's confusing. Also, it makes people wonder if another newer/better/cheaper model is around the corner. Combine that with constant price cutting and you condition consumers to wait instead of just buying right now.

If a consumer knows there will only be one model through the forseeable future and no price cuts, there is no reason to wait.

Around the Network
madskillz said:
thekitchensink said:
smallville said:
Sony should write front of the box in bold letters "THIS MODEL DOES NOT PLAY PS2 GAMES".

Instead of that small print they add on the back of the box.

From a PR standpoint yes, but from a business standpoint, it won't happen. You can be damn sure that PS3 sales numbers have been inflated at least 3-4% because of people who bought a 40-gig, tried to play a PS2 game on it, then immediately traded it back in for a 60-80gig model.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was Sony's mysterious reason for removing BC from this model, since we know removed the Emotion Engine only saved a few dollars.

Dang ... I wonder if that counts as two sales ... ioi, TheSource?  

It does.  None of the big 3 'subtract' one from their numbers when it's sold back.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
thekitchensink said:
madskillz said:
thekitchensink said:
smallville said:
Sony should write front of the box in bold letters "THIS MODEL DOES NOT PLAY PS2 GAMES".

From a PR standpoint yes, but from a business standpoint, it won't happen. You can be damn sure that PS3 sales numbers have been inflated at least 3-4% because of people who bought a 40-gig, tried to play a PS2 game on it, then immediately traded it back in for a 60-80gig model.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was Sony's mysterious reason for removing BC from this model, since we know removed the Emotion Engine only saved a few dollars.

It does.  None of the big 3 'subtract' one from their numbers when it's sold back.

REally?? deeeeg no wonder the 360 sales are so high all those RRod consoles returned and rebought...

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

Instead of crying on a forum that you were too stupid to check, here is what you can do:

Keep/Buy a PS2 for cheap
Return the damn thing

thekitchensink said:
madskillz said:
thekitchensink said:
smallville said:

Wouldn't matter anyway, for Sony and Microsoft count it as sold when it gets sold to the retailers.

Around the Network
skip said:
lots of consumers are stupid. at least twice a day when I was the manager of a co-op (gas station/grocery store where the people that join the membership become owners of the company and thus they end up getting a portion of the profits that is not put into growing and maintaining the company back) we would get people complaining that our fuel ruined their vehicle. (they put diesel in instead of gas or vice versa) The diesel pump is colored traffic sign yellow; has diesel written in big black letters on the hose, the handle, the ground. the pump body, the button you push, the lcd display, the sign on top, etc. There are information write ups on the pumps at eye level which detail why not to put diesel in a car that takes gas and vice versa, how to mix 2 stroke gas, etc.

LMBO. Seriously people have never heard of asking questions or doing research? It's really not that confusing. 

What's the point of this thread? To point out that some consumers are idiots and don't do any research before plopping down $400? To point out that the low end model of both the 360 and ps3 aren't BC?

It seems like some people are making a mountain out of a molehill in another lame attempt to bash the ps3.

Actually makingmusic, while the thread may have begun by pointing out that many consumers are ill-informed as to the features the 40gb PS3 is missing, it quickly moved on to an examination of the ways in which Sony contributed to this lack of understanding. Namely, by constantly crowing about the benefits of BC and how it is a standard across Sony consoles, before barely mentioning that it will be removed from the 40gb SKU, save for a small, inconspicuous indicator on the back of the box.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:
Actually makingmusic, while the thread may have begun by pointing out that many consumers are ill-informed as to the features the 40gb PS3 is missing, it quickly moved on to an examination of the ways in which Sony contributed to this lack of understanding. Namely, by constantly crowing about the benefits of BC and how it is a standard across Sony consoles, before barely mentioning that it will be removed from the 40gb SKU, save for a small, inconspicuous indicator on the back of the box.

I was just explaining why i thought BC was important and should be standard.  I don't really consider someone a real gamer unless they still don't play atleast 1 older generation console they own.  Otherwise your just someone who likes new games.

There is a difference between appreciating gaming and appreciating games in my opinion.  To those who think having a PS3 doesn't suddenly invalidate every PS2 game they own(Or 360, or wii for that matter should they get rid of BC), the kind of people that like to collect and keep games instead of trade them all in after they beat them... backwords compatability is VERY important because people have limited space. 

Well that and the PS2 is a shoddy product and i can't wait to have a nice sturdy PS3 to keep my PS2 games going so that i don't have to find a working PS2 on ebay when the PS5 comes out.

Like my trusty NES. (And Atari, and Balley for that matter.) 

^^I tend to sell all the games I don't play anymore when I buy a new system to help offset the cost, only keeping my faves. Only exception was my poor SNES, which broke, and I sold 90% of my games for it--too young and stupid at the time to realize I could just buy another one. But yeah, I still fire up the ol' N64 every now and then for some Smash Bros, Mario Party and Goldeney MP fun. Or at least I would if I had it with me in my dorm room.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."