By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Some folks are clueless about 40gb PS3

troll.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
What I don't understand is why it does use the same software emulation as the 80G??? I mean the cost to include that software must be next to nothing. Clearly, it so the 40g is less attractive and people purchase the 80g.

Actually the 80gb still has half of the physical ps2's chips still inside. while the 40 has had all of the chips removed.   The 80gb is technically partial software emulation

troll.

madskillz said:

A lot of folks sold their PS2s or traded them in for credit toward a 40gb. I remember Gamestop offering like $150 to $200 off a $599 PS3. Now, Gamestop is offering $50 off for your PS2 when you buy a PS3 - 40gb or 80gb.

People buy it for two reasons - as the comments reveal - as gifts or as the cheapiest BR player. And some folks were shocked it didn't play PS2 games. Unlike most of the informed ones on here, a lot of folks will never look on the back of the box and see that, a lot of folks see "PLAYSTATION" and will buy it. And several of us have invested hundreds, if not thousands on our PS library and to get rid of it makes absolutely no sense, especially when those core values (BC) and the ability to play your older games made owning a PS2 a no-brainer. 

So here's what you do, you take that PS3 back to the store and get store credit or a refund for the damn thing. If you got it as a gift, you ask for the receipt, and if they don't have one, just sell the damn thing on ebay.

Seriously, some of you guys make it seem that when someone buys it not knowing what it's missing, then it becomes this ball and chain that can't be removed.

Famine said:
madskillz said:

A lot of folks sold their PS2s or traded them in for credit toward a 40gb. I remember Gamestop offering like $150 to $200 off a $599 PS3. Now, Gamestop is offering $50 off for your PS2 when you buy a PS3 - 40gb or 80gb.

People buy it for two reasons - as the comments reveal - as gifts or as the cheapiest BR player. And some folks were shocked it didn't play PS2 games. Unlike most of the informed ones on here, a lot of folks will never look on the back of the box and see that, a lot of folks see "PLAYSTATION" and will buy it. And several of us have invested hundreds, if not thousands on our PS library and to get rid of it makes absolutely no sense, especially when those core values (BC) and the ability to play your older games made owning a PS2 a no-brainer. 

So here's what you do, you take that PS3 back to the store and get store credit or a refund for the damn thing. If you got it as a gift, you ask for the receipt, and if they don't have one, just sell the damn thing on ebay.

Seriously, some of you guys make it seem that when someone buys it not knowing what it's missing, then it becomes this ball and chain that can't be removed.

^^^ ya know

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

Around the Network
superchunk said:
What I don't understand is why it does use the same software emulation as the 80G??? I mean the cost to include that software must be next to nothing. Clearly, it so the 40g is less attractive and people purchase the 80g.

The Emotion Engine is too diffcult and costly to emulate.  They took the chips out to save... about 20 bucks per unit i believe.

URNotE said:
Kasz216 said:
ssj12 said:
starcraft said:
Ive said it time and time again, Sony is ripping off consumers, especially in my country Australia. We have NO access to a BC model. The only model available is $AU260 overpriced based on exchange rates (and that is AFTER taking into account our GST) and at the very least $AU200 overpriced based on economies of scale as well.

Ive said time and time again. Give me BC and a fair price (one where they make the same profit/loss as in the US and Japan per unit after taking into account scale and taxes) which would be $AU500 or at the MOST $AU550 and I WILL buy a PS3.

And their blatant failure to try and alert consumers to the lack of BC after pushing it so hard for a year is pathetic.

its on the box.. cant get any better of an alert then that.

Plus honestly why does BC matter that much? You bought a PS3 for PS3 games. The added ability to play PS1 games is just a bonus.

That's only an arguement for non-gamers in my opinion. Don't you ever go back and play your old systems. Hell as a PC gamer first you should get this, that's the biggest strength of PC, a back catalogue of cheap classic games that are of the highest quality.

i've been trying to hold my tongue for the longest but before i go to sleep id just like to point out that the 360 arcade is not backwards compatible either...

No? See I didn't even know that. Looks like if i get one i won't be getting an arcade. Though I never had an Xbox in the first place i'm sure it has some games worth playing.

To someone who has 2 or 3 systems hooked up to each TV at a time. Backwords compatability is very important. I mean otherwise i either gotta get more TV's or systems with BC, and i don't have room for more TVs.

To me backwords compatability is like being able to save games. It's pretty much something that should be included in all systems.  To me it's more basic than having online capabilties.

URNotE said:
Kasz216 said:
ssj12 said:
starcraft said:
Ive said it time and time again, Sony is ripping off consumers, especially in my country Australia. We have NO access to a BC model. The only model available is $AU260 overpriced based on exchange rates (and that is AFTER taking into account our GST) and at the very least $AU200 overpriced based on economies of scale as well.

Ive said time and time again. Give me BC and a fair price (one where they make the same profit/loss as in the US and Japan per unit after taking into account scale and taxes) which would be $AU500 or at the MOST $AU550 and I WILL buy a PS3.

And their blatant failure to try and alert consumers to the lack of BC after pushing it so hard for a year is pathetic.

its on the box.. cant get any better of an alert then that.

Plus honestly why does BC matter that much? You bought a PS3 for PS3 games. The added ability to play PS1 games is just a bonus.

That's only an arguement for non-gamers in my opinion. Don't you ever go back and play your old systems. Hell as a PC gamer first you should get this, that's the biggest strength of PC, a back catalogue of cheap classic games that are of the highest quality.

i've been trying to hold my tongue for the longest but before i go to sleep id just like to point out that the 360 arcade is not backwards compatible either...

MS has been very, very clear that you need an HD to download off LIVE and play your Xbox games. That was apparent at launch and they made it clear to folks. 

I was also not aware that Xbox arcade lacks BC. It just goes to show the extent of the confusion multiple sku's have created. That can't be good for business.

yea i agree multilple sku's do confuse people... i think thats another reason the wii has been so succesful.... sony and microsoft definitely fail in that category......no matter what nobody says....

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament