By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Some folks are clueless about 40gb PS3

Read this post on Best Buy.com

Customer Rating: 4 5
Better Than 40 gb 01/12/2008
By CTDUNN1991 from stedman(fayetteville), NC Read all my reviews

Pros: Plays PS2 games!
Cons: Initial Setup

"I purchased a 40 gb and quickly found that ps2 games would not play. I returned the 40gb and purchased the 80. So far its been great. There are two things i've found wrong. One the initial setup takes close to 20 mins. It only comes with one game. Motorstorm is a great game to get used to the new ps3 features. Overall the PS3 should be the gaming system you buy, wii gets boring, xbox is getting out dated. If you do get one make sure you get the 80 GB. If you buy games with your system make sure you get another controller and call of duty 4."

Would you recommend this product to a friend?: Yes

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8463129&productCategoryId=abcat0703001&type=product&tab=7&id=1184768163607#productdetail

I am telling all of you, several folks are buying the 40gb PS3 thinking they can play PS2 games on it ...

Here's one on the 40gb page ...

Customer Rating: 1 5
playstation 3 12/26/2007
By cold2007 from St. Louis, MO Read all my reviews

"i bought the 40 GB playstation 3 and no where did i ever hear that the 40 GB was not able to play my playstation 2 games. if are interested in buying a playstation 3 and you still want to play your ps2 games on it dont get this model because it wont work you have to either get the 20 GB, 60 GB, or the 80 GB playstion 3."

Would you recommend this product to a friend?: No

And another one ...

Customer Rating: 3 5
A $100 Discount is Disappointing 12/25/2007
By Anonymous Reviewer from Central Connecticut, USA

Pros: Plays Blu-Ray Movies and Playstation 3 Games with Superb
Cons: Many Features Lost with the $100 Saved

"Many people may consider purchasing this 40GB PS3 system for $400 and think that all that they're losing is 40GB from the $500 PS3. However, the 40GB PS3 lacks backwards compatibility to older games. What this means is that those of you looking to upgrade from a PS2 will be sorely disappointed because PS2 games cannot be played on this version of the PS3. PS1 games, however, are supported. In addition, $100 in your pocket drops support for Super Audio CD's as well, flash card readers, and 2 USB ports. As a final verdict, unless you're planning to only use a PS3 to play PS1/PS3 games and/or Blu-Ray Discs, shell out that extra $100 for +40GB, flash card readers, 2 USB ports, Super Audio CD's, and, most importantly, support for PS2 titles."

This is just classic ...

Customer Rating: 3 5
Its ok   12/10/2007
By jackandapril from Texas Read all my reviews

Cons: CANT PLAY PS2 GAME.
"Im on my boyfriends account because, I just got this today for my boyfriend, for an early christmas gift, and I wasnt very pleased to find out that it doenst play ps2 games, I thought that sony said it did when they 1st came out. Well I dont think its worth it if you have a lot of PS2 games, because you wont be able to play them until you can get them in PS3 Or PS1... OTher than that I think its a good system. I kinda wished I had waited to be able to get a Wii for him in steady since he wanted both..."

Around the Network

I just highlighted a case where a friend of mine purchased a 40gb here in Australia. Only here it's the only model, so when he took it back he didn't purchase another one.

Edit: highlighted in today's North American sales discussion board.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

@ Starcraft

Man, I have said it over and over again ... folks are confused about the 40gb PS3. Yeah, some like it, but others are like 'It won't play PS2 games!' Refresh your browser and see the new comments ...

Sony should write front of the box in bold letters "THIS MODEL DOES NOT PLAY PS2 GAMES".

Instead of that small print they add on the back of the box.

Yeah I thought this would be happening.

Troll Comment Alert: And I'm glad it is!

Around the Network

Yeah I notice people sometimes ask that question on gt an I think to myself how is this info still unknown to folk?

Yeah or people should just do research before spending 400$+.

I don't blame any of those consumers. When Sony said they wanted a machine that can do anything/everything, they shot themselves in the foot (or cut out their tongue) when giving this version to consumers. I still think it was a poor attempt in trying to release a product at a reasonable price if the system was supposed to be the best. My God, why didn't they just stick with the 60GB model?! At least mention to consumers that you can upgrade the hard drive.

here we go again

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

trust me, there are a whole lot of fucking dumb consumers out their and I'll give you an example, people trying to dial-up their internet connection using an ADSL modem and then scratching their heads when it doesn't work, after all the ADSL modem uses the telephone cable to according to them it should work because it's dial-up, and this is regardless of the fact that the ADSL modem has Broadband written on the frigging box.