Forums - Sony Discussion - Some folks are clueless about 40gb PS3

madskillz said:
Troll_Monster said:
starcraft said:
Troll_Monster said:
starcraft said:
Troll_Monster said:
starcraft said:
Ive said it time and time again, Sony is ripping off consumers, especially in my country Australia. We have NO access to a BC model. The only model available is $AU260 overpriced based on exchange rates (and that is AFTER taking into account our GST) and at the very least $AU200 overpriced based on economies of scale as well.

Ive said time and time again. Give me BC and a fair price (one where they make the same profit/loss as in the US and Japan per unit after taking into account scale and taxes) which would be $AU500 or at the MOST $AU550 and I WILL buy a PS3.

And their blatant failure to try and alert consumers to the lack of BC after pushing it so hard for a year is pathetic.

Dude, gaming has and always be expensive in Australia, so live with it.

Also, it's just not Sony as you call it that's 'ripping' us off, it's Nintendo and Microsoft, just grab the American prices convert them to Aussie dollars and you'll see the same as what your complaing abough with Sony, here is an example:-

Wii $ 250US = $282.74AU but it acutally cost $400AU

Actually I can find a Wii for $AU346 at Big W, as Nintendo is allowing retailers to buy cheaper due to exchange rates, Sony apparently is not. So $250 plus exchange rate is $AU275 plus gst tax is $AU300ish which means we pay $AU46 for scale economies. With Sony, we pay $AU200 at least. I promise you, Sony is ripping Australians off like no other.

yeah I've seen that as well, but I've also seen PS3 going for $687, same for 360. You just have to shop around, hell I've bought all my PS2 games, about 33 games, for an average of 50 bucks all brand new.

Lol, my apologies. The difference is now $AU46 to $AU187. It honestly feels like Sony is subsidising loses on the console in North America and Japan with profiteering in PAL.

Gaming it's self has always been expensive, we aussies have never had it cheap so I've just gotten use to that fact, that's why I never buy a game at 100 bucks, I always look around and try and get it if not at 40 bucks at least no more than 60 bucks, and yeah I do play the waiting game for them to come down, but it's no biggy for me, cause if a game is good at 100 bucks, then it'll be good at 60 or 40 bucks.

Dang, I barely pay anything for games, and when I do, I rarely pay full price (I usually get a discount of some type or have a gift card). I feel for you. The last time I paid full price for a game was ... dang, Vice City for my PS2 ...

no need to feel for me, cause I don't pay full price for games either, the only thing I pay full price for is take away food, and that's if I don't have coupons. XD

Around the Network

At Costco, we have a sign that describes the PS3 features. One of the listed features is Does not play PS2 games.

currently playing: Desktop Tower Defense (PC), Puzzle Quest (DS), Trauma Center New Blood (Wii), Guitar Hero III (Wii), Ghost Squad (Wii), Actraiser (SNES), Donkey Kong County (SNES), The Legend of Zelda (NES), Kirby's Adventure (NES)

will play next: Paper Mario (N64), Golden Axe II (Sega), NiGHTS (Wii)

Join the Ron Paul RLOVEution, support Ron Paul for president in the 2008 Republican presidential primary! http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Griffin said:
If people buy a 40gb PS3 and don't know it plays PS2 games then too bad, plus whatever happened to their PS2. I'm sure people who bought a PS3 own a PS2.

A lot of folks sold their PS2s or traded them in for credit toward a 40gb. I remember Gamestop offering like $150 to $200 off a $599 PS3. Now, Gamestop is offering $50 off for your PS2 when you buy a PS3 - 40gb or 80gb.

People buy it for two reasons - as the comments reveal - as gifts or as the cheapiest BR player. And some folks were shocked it didn't play PS2 games. Unlike most of the informed ones on here, a lot of folks will never look on the back of the box and see that, a lot of folks see "PLAYSTATION" and will buy it. And several of us have invested hundreds, if not thousands on our PS library and to get rid of it makes absolutely no sense, especially when those core values (BC) and the ability to play your older games made owning a PS2 a no-brainer. 

lots of consumers are stupid. at least twice a day when I was the manager of a co-op (gas station/grocery store where the people that join the membership become owners of the company and thus they end up getting a portion of the profits that is not put into growing and maintaining the company back) we would get people complaining that our fuel ruined their vehicle. (they put diesel in instead of gas or vice versa) The diesel pump is colored traffic sign yellow; has diesel written in big black letters on the hose, the handle, the ground. the pump body, the button you push, the lcd display, the sign on top, etc. There are information write ups on the pumps at eye level which detail why not to put diesel in a car that takes gas and vice versa, how to mix 2 stroke gas, etc.

FreeTalkLive rocks! said:
At Costco, we have a sign that describes the PS3 features. One of the listed features is Does not play PS2 games.

Now, that make sense. But in the two Best Buys and Wal-Marts, and even K-Marts I frequented, even Gamestops, none of them had signs. The BB's had hills of PS3s, but no signs like that. 

Around the Network
skip said:
lots of consumers are stupid. at least twice a day when I was the manager of a co-op (gas station/grocery store where the people that join the membership become owners of the company and thus they end up getting a portion of the profits that is not put into growing and maintaining the company back) we would get people complaining that our fuel ruined their vehicle. (they put diesel in instead of gas or vice versa) The diesel pump is colored traffic sign yellow; has diesel written in big black letters on the hose, the handle, the ground. the pump body, the button you push, the lcd display, the sign on top, etc. There are information write ups on the pumps at eye level which detail why not to put diesel in a car that takes gas and vice versa, how to mix 2 stroke gas, etc.

Actually, if you put a small bit of diesel into a regular car/truck, it will help the fuel system. Not a tank, though, but a few gallons. 

What I don't understand is why it does use the same software emulation as the 80G??? I mean the cost to include that software must be next to nothing. Clearly, it so the 40g is less attractive and people purchase the 80g.

ssj12 said:
starcraft said:
Ive said it time and time again, Sony is ripping off consumers, especially in my country Australia. We have NO access to a BC model. The only model available is $AU260 overpriced based on exchange rates (and that is AFTER taking into account our GST) and at the very least $AU200 overpriced based on economies of scale as well.

Ive said time and time again. Give me BC and a fair price (one where they make the same profit/loss as in the US and Japan per unit after taking into account scale and taxes) which would be $AU500 or at the MOST $AU550 and I WILL buy a PS3.

And their blatant failure to try and alert consumers to the lack of BC after pushing it so hard for a year is pathetic.

its on the box.. cant get any better of an alert then that.

Plus honestly why does BC matter that much? You bought a PS3 for PS3 games. The added ability to play PS1 games is just a bonus.

That's only an arguement for non-gamers in my opinion. Don't you ever go back and play your old systems. Hell as a PC gamer first you should get this, that's the biggest strength of PC, a back catalogue of cheap classic games that are of the highest quality.

I know at gamestops by me they had big signs up around X-mas to explain the 40 gig has no backwords compatability with PS2 games. 

madskillz said:
FreeTalkLive rocks! said:

Now, that make sense. But in the two Best Buys and Wal-Marts, and even K-Marts I frequented, even Gamestops, none of them had signs. The BB's had hills of PS3s, but no signs like that.

both the bestbuy and futureshop (same company) where I live have a sign in the middle of the 40 gb pile detailing that it can't play ps2 titles. 

Kasz216 said:
ssj12 said:
starcraft said:

its on the box.. cant get any better of an alert then that.

Plus honestly why does BC matter that much? You bought a PS3 for PS3 games. The added ability to play PS1 games is just a bonus.

That's only an arguement for non-gamers in my opinion.  Don't you ever go back and play your old systems.  Hell as a PC gamer first you should get this, that's the biggest strength of PC, a back catalogue of cheap classic games that are of the highest quality.

i've been trying to hold my tongue for the longest but before i go to sleep id just like to point out that the 360 arcade is not backwards compatible either...

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732