By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Some folks are clueless about 40gb PS3

madskillz said:
URNotE said:
Kasz216 said:
ssj12 said:
starcraft said:
Ive said it time and time again, Sony is ripping off consumers, especially in my country Australia. We have NO access to a BC model. The only model available is $AU260 overpriced based on exchange rates (and that is AFTER taking into account our GST) and at the very least $AU200 overpriced based on economies of scale as well.

Ive said time and time again. Give me BC and a fair price (one where they make the same profit/loss as in the US and Japan per unit after taking into account scale and taxes) which would be $AU500 or at the MOST $AU550 and I WILL buy a PS3.

And their blatant failure to try and alert consumers to the lack of BC after pushing it so hard for a year is pathetic.

its on the box.. cant get any better of an alert then that.

Plus honestly why does BC matter that much? You bought a PS3 for PS3 games. The added ability to play PS1 games is just a bonus.

That's only an arguement for non-gamers in my opinion. Don't you ever go back and play your old systems. Hell as a PC gamer first you should get this, that's the biggest strength of PC, a back catalogue of cheap classic games that are of the highest quality.

i've been trying to hold my tongue for the longest but before i go to sleep id just like to point out that the 360 arcade is not backwards compatible either...

MS has been very, very clear that you need an HD to download off LIVE and play your Xbox games. That was apparent at launch and they made it clear to folks. 

The thing about PC gaming is that it isnt compatible with all the old games. The older games need to be updated to support the new hardware. 

And frankly I own my original PS1 and PS2 still so I could always reconnect the consoles to pay them.

And saying that the BC isn't there doesnt make sense. They still have BC with PS1 titles which with 110 milion PS1s sold I'd say they have a ton of people who still have PS1 titles covered.  

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

Bit of anecdotal evidence from the UK:

Me: There is a new 40GB PS3 coming out for £300.

My Friend: Really? Im going to get it.

Me: It doesn't play PS2 gams though

My Friend: Who cares, I'm not buying a PS3 to play PS2 games.

That has happened with everyone I have told. Maybe BC is more important to US people than it is to European's. It would explain why the PS3 is selling better in Europe.

ssj12 said:
starcraft said:
Ive said it time and time again, Sony is ripping off consumers, especially in my country Australia. We have NO access to a BC model. The only model available is $AU260 overpriced based on exchange rates (and that is AFTER taking into account our GST) and at the very least $AU200 overpriced based on economies of scale as well.

Ive said time and time again. Give me BC and a fair price (one where they make the same profit/loss as in the US and Japan per unit after taking into account scale and taxes) which would be $AU500 or at the MOST $AU550 and I WILL buy a PS3.

And their blatant failure to try and alert consumers to the lack of BC after pushing it so hard for a year is pathetic.

its on the box.. cant get any better of an alert then that.

Plus honestly why does BC matter that much? You bought a PS3 for PS3 games. The added ability to play PS1 games is just a bonus.

It matters to me. I won't be buying one until they reintroduce BC. It's a total joke that they don't even give us the choice like they do in America.

Griffin said:
If people buy a 40gb PS3 and don't know it plays PS2 games then too bad, plus whatever happened to their PS2. I'm sure people who bought a PS3 own a PS2.

I would think you would care.  Advertisements and bundles be damned, the most persuasive way to sell a product is word of mouth.  every time a product is bought and the owner is disappointed they are going to tell their friends about that disappointment and that will discourage future sales.  

From a legal standpoint the 40g ps3 is perfectly legit, but if customers are feeling misinformed and gypped it will come back to haunt them if the dissatisfaction rate is at all significant.

Around the Network

Meh, I agree with not doing research -_-, I mean if anyone thinks it's funny that some people were "Baffled!" when it came to playing ps2 games on a non BC PS3, do we find it amusing that people are "surprised" by hardware failure on the 360? How about that the Wii reads DVD's but really doesnt :P

Hell I heard some guy at Target whining that he wanted to use the Wii's online features, but for some reason coulden't connect to the internet, it was a 10 minute conversation and I lost a few brain cells just listening in on targets employee of the month and Wild Bill "I got's internet in the wire but I need it on radio?".

Some people just don't get it, and if your ill informed, your going to see MANY dissapointments :P

And yes, Sony talks up a storm about how capable the PS3 is, and by all standards, the 40g is still Amazingly capable, just not with ps2 games :P 

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

By some of your people's logic if Sony should have put the 'Does not play Playstation 2 format titles' in big writing on the front of the box i would have to say the same for MS! They should put 'Warning: 33% failure rate' on the box also...

Its common knowledge that the PS3 doesn't play PS2 games so no offence but its your fault...

that last one is gold...but seriously how could you not know

Squall_Leonhart said:
By some of your people's logic if Sony should have put the 'Does not play Playstation 2 format titles' in big writing on the front of the box i would have to say the same for MS! They should put 'Warning: 33% failure rate' on the box also...

Its common knowledge that the PS3 doesn't play PS2 games so no offence but its your fault...

The 80gb, the 60gb and the 20gb PS3s play PS2 games - the 40gb doesn't play them. You don't *think* that would be confusing? I could see if the units didn't come with hard drives, but they all do - and just one of them can't play PS2 games.

The PS brand was always about BC. To drop it matters to tons of consumers.

The only one I'd buy is the 60gb one for the FULL BC. I am fed up with these half-efforts by MS and Sony at BC. Give me something that plays my old skool games without taking up much real estate.

And to the folks that say just keep your PS2 - that makes NO SENSE. Maybe, if you have games on a hard drive in your PS2, and truthfully, if someone is not impressed with the current lineup, but have tons of PS2 games, giving them BC is a given these days. The Wii has it - the 360 - with a HD - has it.

This isn't the first time Sony took something away from gamers and said it wasn't necessary. Rumble - so last gen - comes to mind. Now, folks are flocking to get Sixasis with rumble ...