By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo's Iwata: "we just do not care what kind of 'more beef' console Microsoft and Sony might produce"

osed125 said:

Highly doubt it, but maybe Nintendo have a vague idea of what the next xbox and ps4 specs will be?, as a big company they must have some kind of spy in the other companies, I know it sounds weird and a little movie cliche but in today's economy everything is possible

ok lets say you're right... why then turn around and say that you don't care what the competition does? isn't that contradictory?

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

If they have to say anything they can just say we are focusing on our own strengths. They can just say doesn't matter what they do we are brining the games and here they are. At the moment they are trying to downplay (graphics, power etc) the next xbox/PS even before anyone knows anything concrete about it.

They are not trying to downplay it. They don't _believe_ it matters and have said so. It's their value system, and they're expressing it. They disagree with the graphics war and are making it clear that is not their intent.

At the same time, they're nuancing it with concerns for the needs of gamers to offer a level of fidelity, but reassert that it is _not_ for the purpose of fighting a war of attrition with their competitors. It's important for their investors and for the media to know that.

The problem is what we see in this thread, that whenever Nintendo tries to clarify their position, people instantly misunderstand it as either hypocrisy, downplaying, lack of focus, or anything else I can't think of.

Well I see it differently than you then. There is absolutely no reason to talk of other consoles when they haven't been even announced yet. All this PR and promoting should wait until the rivals come up with their stuff. Then they can say it doesn't matter etc.

This is not the first time they said something like this. I have seen such comments from them all the time since E3. I see this as useless banter and damage control. They have done a real piss poor job in promoting the wiiU at E3 as a next gen console. They should have at least had a tech demo or two of popular franchises to showcase the capabilities. They 'are' and should be worried about the other consoles capabilities as well. We all saw what happened to them this gen with game support. I do not believe for a second believe these statements from them and always take them as PR.

If this is how they are going to approach this, expect such PR for years to come because I don't think the situation will change for them when it comes to media and gamers questioning them on power of the wiiU. It's just gonna get worse

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Confirmed Xbox 8 and PS4 will be made at Wendy's!!!

M.U.G.E.N said:

Well I see it differently than you then. There is absolutely no reason to talk of other consoles when they haven't been even announced yet. All this PR and promoting should wait until the rivals come up with their stuff. Then they can say it doesn't matter etc.

This is not the first time they said something like this. I have seen such comments from them all the time since E3. I see this as useless banter and damage control. They have done a real piss poor job in promoting the wiiU at E3 as a next gen console. They should have at least had a tech demo or two of popular franchises to showcase the capabilities. They 'are' and should be worried about the other consoles capabilities as well. We all saw what happened to them this gen with game support. I do not believe for a second believe these statements from them and always take them as PR.

If this is how they are going to approach this, expect such PR for years to come because I don't think the situation will change for them when it comes to media and gamers questioning them on power of the wiiU. It's just gonna get worse

We don't disagree on most points here. @bold. I completely agree with you, and have made a thread about it. You even participated in the joke. (the "I hate everyone thread", remember?)

But that's not what OP is about. OP is about a comment they're making in response to criticism. You answered to me that instead of responding they should focus on their delivery, and I told you I agreed with you, but gave you the reason why they had to state their position to the industry.

(EDIT: And I think I understand what you're trying to say. You're saying that, had Nintendo done a better job, none of this would have been necessary due to more onlooker confidence. But the 3DS is an example of that not being true. This trend will never end until Nintendo gets full dominance I think.)

The reason they are saying these things ("to talk of other consoles when they haven't been even announced yet."), is because that is the concern they are getting from onlookers. People who are projecting looming doom onto Nintendo in anticipation of what the competition will come up with (most likely). Does that help explain why they are answering in kind?

o_O.Q said:
osed125 said:

Highly doubt it, but maybe Nintendo have a vague idea of what the next xbox and ps4 specs will be?, as a big company they must have some kind of spy in the other companies, I know it sounds weird and a little movie cliche but in today's economy everything is possible

ok lets say you're right... why then turn around and say that you don't care what the competition does? isn't that contradictory?

Like happydolphin said above, as a company with investors they have to say something, if they don't those investors will get mad for all the silence. Also saying that they don't care how much powerful the other consoles are doesn't mean the Wii U will be that much behind like the Wii was, it means they are going there own way (just like they did with the Wii). I believe by saying that and the other things they said in the past weeks means that the Wii U will be the least powerful of all the next-gen consoles but the difference won't be as high as the Wii in the current gen, that's just my opinion, but who really knows what's happening on Iwata's head

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

We don't disagree on most points here. @bold. I completely agree with you, and have made a thread about it. You even participated in the joke. (the "I hate everyone thread", remember?)

But that's not what OP is about. OP is about a comment they're making in response to criticism. You answered to me that instead of responding they should focus on their delivery, and I told you I agreed with you, but gave you the reason why they had to state their position to the industry.

(EDIT: And I think I understand what you're trying to say. You're saying that, had Nintendo done a better job, none of this would have been necessary due to more onlooker confidence. But the 3DS is an example of that not being true. This trend will never end until Nintendo gets full dominance I think.)

The reason they are saying these things ("to talk of other consoles when they haven't been even announced yet."), is because that is the concern they are getting from onlookers. People who are projecting looming doom onto Nintendo in anticipation of what the competition will come up with (most likely). Does that help explain why they are answering in kind?

Well I think the best way to shut them up is to show what you got. Those who that ask these questions will not stop until then. All these comments are useless really and could potentially come back and bite them in the ass if the next gen PS Xbox actually does create a significant leap compared to wiiU. Then Nintendo will get flack from media and gamers alike on it big time. Especially if the gap is big enough and ps/xbox end up in the same ball part in capabilities...that's a sure shot recipe for a repeat of this gens 3rd party support. I think it shows more confidence if they focus on their own line up and games rather than others who have yet to be revealed imho. This is like the 5-6th time I have seen a statement like this from Nintendo since E3. They are trying to downplay their bad effort in promoting the wiiU by going after the future.

Like I told Basil, they better bring it at their WiiU event (what is it called again? And do we know a date? :S) They are touting a lot of things so they better back them up

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

M.U.G.E.N said:

Well I think the best way to shut them up is to show what you got. Those who that ask these questions will not stop until then. All these comments are useless really and could potentially come back and bite them in the ass if the next gen PS Xbox actually does create a significant leap compared to wiiU. Then Nintendo will get flack from media and gamers alike on it big time. Especially if the gap is big enough and ps/xbox end up in the same ball part in capabilities...that's a sure shot recipe for a repeat of this gens 3rd party support. I think it shows more confidence if they focus on their own line up and games rather than others who have yet to be revealed imho. This is like the 5-6th time I have seen a statement like this from Nintendo since E3. They are trying to downplay their bad effort in promoting the wiiU by going after the future.

Like I told Basil, they better bring it at their WiiU event (what is it called again? And do we know a date? :S) They are touting a lot of things so they better back them up

@bold. But that's the thing, they aren't touting. The one thing that could be in favor of bold is when they said they don't believe that there will be a considerable jump, but that was another PR release. This one's very different in that they're saying that, to them, the war on graphics doesn't matter. They're two different press releases. We mentioned this for the other one, why mention it again. (Edit: but keep in mind, for this, he knows the WiiU specs and may have an idea of competitor offerings, it's his business, so he's in a better position to judge than we are that's for sure. And possibly beefing up may relate to changes in competitor HW power since the last PR where he said the leap would not be considerable)

For OP, if SonyMS release something "beefed up", it's not something Nintendo cares about at this point, because to them they did enough to please, they gave an effort on graphics for WiiU's design, but like I said not in a way to join the graphics wars, ie they don't want to fight that war. So maybe if the PS4ango is leaps beyond the WiiU, their other Press Release may be source of criticism, but this one would not be.

I've heard of a 3DS/Nintendo event but I think it's in Japan. Other Nintendo fans might be able to give a more clear answer here.

M.U.G.E.N said:
happydolphin said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

If they have to say anything they can just say we are focusing on our own strengths. They can just say doesn't matter what they do we are brining the games and here they are. At the moment they are trying to downplay (graphics, power etc) the next xbox/PS even before anyone knows anything concrete about it.

They are not trying to downplay it. They don't _believe_ it matters and have said so. It's their value system, and they're expressing it. They disagree with the graphics war and are making it clear that is not their intent.

At the same time, they're nuancing it with concerns for the needs of gamers to offer a level of fidelity, but reassert that it is _not_ for the purpose of fighting a war of attrition with their competitors. It's important for their investors and for the media to know that.

The problem is what we see in this thread, that whenever Nintendo tries to clarify their position, people instantly misunderstand it as either hypocrisy, downplaying, lack of focus, or anything else I can't think of.

Yeah ok MUGEN as usual, you try your hardest to make Nintendo look like the losers when the blue lines on the front page paint a different story. What Nintendo is saying is, its impossible for their next consoles to blow the WIIU out like the PS3 was to the Wii because they would cost way to much. You dont seriously believe Sony will repeat what they did with the PS3 do you? You probably do think it worked out dont you? Anyways now NIntendo is saying it really doesnt matter what they add, we are going to continue to do our own thing regardless. Hell whatever they wont exactly ensure victory for them, the PS3 had alot of things added and still came in 3rd. Nintendo is far from worried by the way, didnt they just release a platform that sold as much in its opening year as the PS3 and 360 did in their peaks lol. Didnt it take the 360 and PS3 like 4 years just to become decent sellers lol. Thats probably how long its gonna take their next consoles to become relevant as well, while the WiiU builds an insane(it already has an headstart)lead.

happydolphin said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

@bold. But that's the thing, they aren't touting. The one thing that could be in favor of bold is when they said they don't believe that there will be a considerable jump, but that was another PR release. This one's very different in that they're saying that, to them, the war on graphics doesn't matter. They're two different press releases. We mentioned this for the other one, why mention it again.

For OP, if SonyMS release something "beefed up", it's not something Nintendo cares about at this point, because to them they did enough to please, they gave an effort on graphics, but like I said not in a way to join the graphics wars, ie they don't want to fight that war. So maybe if the PS4ango is leaps beyond the WiiU, their other Press Release may be source of criticism, but this one would not be.

I've heard of a 3DS/Nintendo event but I think it's in Japan. Other Nintendo fans might be able to give a more clear answer here.

I saw someone saying there will be an event to unveil the wiiu launch date/price etc. And shane aka dumbass from gametrailers have said he saw a game that made him think the wiiu line up for launch is great and it hasn't been revealed yet. That's why I'm looking forward to seeing what they have in store

I disagree about the touting bit...but it's something that's debatable and is just depends on how you percieve these statements.

I heavily disagree about them not caring about a much more powerful rival console set. It cost them dearly this gen. They came out with the WiiU and have said 3rd party support is very important to them...this is done so to bring back the non nintendo gamers on to their side. They really haven't done a good job in promoting this ...yet. As much as they will want to deny it, better graphics, online and other features are a big selling point for a lot of gamers and they know this. I do think this will end up being bad for them in a year or so (around E3 especially) if sony/ms does showcase some impressive looking games from the start. There will be those who will criticize them for an underpowered system, just like those who did it this gen. The only way to avoid it is if either/and 1. WiiU sells crazy well, well enough to shut the critics up 2. nextbox/PS is not that more powerful. I personally don't see either of these happening. Time will tell I guess.

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

M.U.G.E.N said:

I saw someone saying there will be an event to unveil the wiiu launch date/price etc. And shane aka dumbass from gametrailers have said he saw a game that made him think the wiiu line up for launch is great and it hasn't been revealed yet. That's why I'm looking forward to seeing what they have in store

I disagree about the touting bit...but it's something that's debatable and is just depends on how you percieve these statements.

I heavily disagree about them not caring about a much more powerful rival console set. It cost them dearly this gen. They came out with the WiiU and have said 3rd party support is very important to them...this is done so to bring back the non nintendo gamers on to their side. They really haven't done a good job in promoting this ...yet. As much as they will want to deny it, better graphics, online and other features are a big selling point for a lot of gamers and they know this. I do think this will end up being bad for them in a year or so (around E3 especially) if sony/ms does showcase some impressive looking games from the start. There will be those who will criticize them for an underpowered system, just like those who did it this gen. The only way to avoid it is if either/and 1. WiiU sells crazy well, well enough to shut the critics up 2. nextbox/PS is not that more powerful. I personally don't see either of these happening. Time will tell I guess.

@underlined. Me too :)

I really agree with bold.

At the cost it's incurring to manufacturers at this rate I really hope either to be the case. I believe Nintendo is taking a more gamer-centric stance with the WiiU compared to the Wii by offering more in terms of HW as compared to last gen where it was basically cube architecture evolved. The WiiU was made to offer a competitive level of graphical power. But, it remains within their philosophy of not fighting a war of attrition, which has costed Sony and MS alot of money this gen.

I understand that gamers want top-tier graphics (and in so doing ask the console makers to bleed money), but Nintendo as a business doesn't see that as viable, and I agree with them.

You're right to say that they will run into problems because of their decision, but I believe if that does happen, it's not their fault. It's the industry's fault for leading businesses to get strung in a cut-throat dynamic.