By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo's Iwata: "we just do not care what kind of 'more beef' console Microsoft and Sony might produce"

M.U.G.E.N said:

I think the difference this time around is that they are going into the next gen as the market leader...with a nice chunk of the casual market with them. That's why I think the approach I mentioned would have been better.

But like you said...so many unknowns still. Only time will tell on how these companies will react and act in next gen. Either way I think it will be an even closer fight between the three next gen :D which is great for consumers because it results in the best outcomes for us that way!

@bold. Ahh, that's a good point. A very good point I didn't think of that difference. However, my concern would be that the PS3 has much momentum still, and it would be yet still too early for Nintendo to change stance. Also, they were market leader, but they were not leader of the market that would be most catered by the architectural changes you propose. So you're quite right, but I still think it's too early. Maybe come gen 9 I'll agree with you more, as you said still the gen needs to pan out. At this point though, with what you said and with what happened in the past, I think this still might be the best way to go for now.

@Underline. Yes! And my only hope for Nintendo is that they are able to grab a little more of the gamer crowd with the help of Retro, 3rd parties (e.g. ZombiU like games) and some solid AAA IPs that cater to the hobbyist gaming community (like Metroid and Zelda). That's my hope. For Sony, I hope their Vita will do better because it is a great piece of HW, and it deserves to do well. And I hope the war on graphics will end, and that those who want crazy graphics will just stick to PCs, each thing in their rightful place.

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

I think the difference this time around is that they are going into the next gen as the market leader...with a nice chunk of the casual market with them. That's why I think the approach I mentioned would have been better.

But like you said...so many unknowns still. Only time will tell on how these companies will react and act in next gen. Either way I think it will be an even closer fight between the three next gen :D which is great for consumers because it results in the best outcomes for us that way!

@bold. Ahh, that's a good point. A very good point I didn't think of that difference. However, my concern would be that the PS3 has much momentum still, and it would be yet still too early for Nintendo to change stance. Also, they were market leader, but they were not leader of the market that would be most catered by the architectural changes you propose. So you're quite right, but I still think it's too early. Maybe come gen 9 I'll agree with you more, as you said still the gen needs to pan out. At this point though, with what you said and with what happened in the past, I think this still might be the best way to go for now.

@Underline. Yes! And my only hope for Nintendo is that they are able to grab a little more of the gamer crowd with the help of Retro, 3rd parties (e.g. ZombiU like games) and some solid AAA IPs that cater to the hobbyist gaming community (like Metroid and Zelda). That's my hope. For Sony, I hope their Vita will do better because it is a great piece of HW, and it deserves to do well. And I hope the war on graphics will end, and that those who want crazy graphics will just stick to PCs, each thing in their rightful place.

Faior points all around :) Let's hope for the best for all!

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Nintendo talks about PS4/Xbox3 because everyone ask about them, if nobody asked them, they wouldn't mention them! They've been trying to show the WiiU and what they have now, everyone else is worries about how it compares w the other systems and then they are being hypocrite cause they got tired of the same bullshit over and over again! They don't care now, they THINK WiiU is not gonna be left behind like the Wii was! They're focus on the experience WiiU is bringing and they have more to show before the system launches, is it hard to understand?

You tell 'em Iwata!

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

Its not hard to understand Carlos, its just people like MUGEN only wanna see what they want to see. The WiiU is far from in trouble lol. Its looking to be another blowout honestly. The WiiU is looking to have an pretty good opening like the 3DS did without any major game, accept unlike the 3DS, the WiiU will have major games from the start.

Around the Network
phenom08 said:
Its not hard to understand Carlos, its just people like MUGEN only wanna see what they want to see. The WiiU is far from in trouble lol. Its looking to be another blowout honestly. The WiiU is looking to have an pretty good opening like the 3DS did without any major game, accept unlike the 3DS, the WiiU will have major games from the start.

Next time, if you have something to tell me...do two things

1. Reply to me, quote me. Then I know and can response

2. Read what I have said so far. The one seeing with a selective vision is you. I have discussed the pros and cons of their approach already not just the cons. Never said the system IS in trouble...just that it could be in trouble. If you have anything to add or refute to anything I have said so far please do without being snide. Thank u

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

phenom08 said:

He mentioned sensible points. If he were being biased, how could he have a convo with me?

The 3DS didn't have a good opening really, it's still not yet there in the west (as was the case for the DS). So expect something similar for the WiiU before it really takes off. I am positive about it too, but the concerns are fair.

Andrespetmonkey said:
NintendoPie said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
This is kind of hypocritical. I feel like they're sending mixed messages about the Wii U.

Are you refering to the thing Iwata said earlier this month?

No

Then what are you trying to say?

NintendoPie said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
NintendoPie said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
This is kind of hypocritical. I feel like they're sending mixed messages about the Wii U.

Are you refering to the thing Iwata said earlier this month?

No

Then what are you trying to say?

I'll just copy and paste a post I made earlier today...

The point is Nintendo have said they're after the hardcore, they've compared themselvs to the competition and they've said they want/are going to be close or so that far from Orbis/Durango technically whilst also saying they don't compare themselves to other companies or care about "what kind of 'more beef' console Microsoft and Sony produce"etc. and that's why people are pointing out the somewhat contradictory or hypocritical comments made by Nintendo about the Wii U. 

Andrespetmonkey said:

I'll just copy and paste a post I made earlier today...

The point is Nintendo have said they're after the hardcore, they've compared themselvs to the competition and they've said they want/are going to be close or so that far from Orbis/Durango technically whilst also saying they don't compare themselves to other companies or care about "what kind of 'more beef' console Microsoft and Sony produce"etc. and that's why people are pointing out the somewhat contradictory or hypocritical comments made by Nintendo about the Wii U. 

I don't think they are necessarily hypocritical. I think they are trying to please too many crowds. They, instead of focusing on "Nintendo Fan", or hardcore gamer, or just the casuals, are wanting to calm all of us at one time. Hopefully it'll make more sense when they actually come out with the Wii U.