By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Shooting at Batman Premiere - 12 dead / Your opinions on gun laws

When Martin Bryan shootings happen in Tasmania, hardcore gun laws were formed in Australia making it pretty much impossible for the average person to buy a gun legally. Considering this guy bought these guns so easily makes you wonder what if the laws were different.
Really the only people who need guns are law enforcement and farmers. Automatic and semi-automatic weapons have no place in the hands of the public.
Its been said the average person is more likely to hit a family member/friend then hit the criminal.

Around the Network
Jicale said:
When Martin Bryan shootings happen in Tasmania, hardcore gum laws were formed in Australia making it pretty much impossible for the average person to buy a gun legally. Considering this guy bought these guns so easily makes you wonder what if the laws were different.
Really the only people who need guns are law enforcement and farmers. Automatic and semi-automatic weapons have no place in the hands of the public.

Since tighter gun laws were introduced in Australia they have been more gun related crimes.  Criminals have more guns than ever. Where there is prohibition a black market will emerge to supply the guns to the people who demand them. Government prohibition never works. 

Dark_Lord_2008 said:
Jicale said:
When Martin Bryan shootings happen in Tasmania, hardcore gum laws were formed in Australia making it pretty much impossible for the average person to buy a gun legally. Considering this guy bought these guns so easily makes you wonder what if the laws were different.

Since tighter gun laws were introduced in Australia they have been more gun related crimes.  Criminals have more guns than ever. Where there is prohibition a black market will emerge to supply the guns to the people who demand them. Government prohibition never works. 

^^^ This.  Christ, just look at the War on Drugs.  Complete failure, and a national embarassment. 

kain_kusanagi said:

What do you want to do. Create some kind of draconian class system where only high class people can own cars, guns, and have children? Who decides who is worthy? How is it enforced? Where do individual rights begin and state control end?

Not high class people, just people who are found to be capable and mentally sound through rigorous screening. Such screening would obviously be handled by dedicated departments of the government.

State control begins where it is called for by issues within society.

And think about what would happen if people DIDN'T need a lincese to drive? Do you honestly believe there would then be a lower road toll?

sperrico87 said:
Chandler said:
mrstickball said:
Chandler said:
Guns just don't belong in the hands of civilians. I mean, what's the point? Self defense? Yeah, right. All a gun does is make shit worse.

Switzerland disagrees with you.

Nobody gives a shit about Switzerland.

Why would you willingly take away people's ability to defend themselves from a violent crime in-progress?  If more people in that theatre had been carrying a concealed pistol, they would have been able to take the shooter out and save lives.  Do you not see that?  Gun bans disarm law-abiding citizens.  Criminals by their very definition are people who do not abide by gun laws, and will procure a weapon through the black market.  All you're doing is making it more difficult to defend ourselves.

In Switzerland, you can walk through the streets and know that you're safe. It doesn't matter if you can fight fire with fire, if nobody was armed in the first place then they wouldn't be able to harm eachother. I would hate to live in a country where a firefight could break out in a cinema, I would hate to live in a country where people look to guns for safety rather than the police.

The only point defending gun laws in America is the fact that your country has wide open borders and is already flooded with guns. Guns can't be banned straight away, but laws needs to be tightened over time and fully automatic weapons need to be phased out.

Around the Network
brendude13 said:

I would hate to live in a country where a firefight could break out in a cinema, I would hate to live in a country where people look to guns for safety rather than the police.

Amen. The thought of living in the US terrifies me.

sperrico87 said:
radishhead said:

http://www.kctv5.com/story/19071381/shooting-at-theater-during-batman-premiere-in-colorado

I just turned on the news and I saw this incident - apparently it's the worst in the USA since a school shooting many years ago (I think), so it's extremely saddening.

Aside from just reporting the story however (which I assume American users know about already), I wondered what your opinions were regarding gun laws. It's impossible to deny that the chances of such a tragedy happening would be reduced if ownership of a gun is illegal without a license (assuming these licenses were very difficult to get, and wouldn't allow a civilian to carry one in public). Is the idea of possessing a gun an outdated idea, or is it still significant in the modern world?

I completely disagree with the premise of your question.  I don't think that just because there is a shooting, that there should be an automatic debate on gun laws and Second Amendment rights.  I see no correlation whatsoever.

Criminals are people who by definition do not abide by laws, so how can you say that law-abiding citizens should have their right to bear arms diminished or taken away because an insane person went on a rampage? 

Better yet, why would you willingly take away the right of people to defend themselves against violent crimes in progress?  If more people in that theatre had a concealed pistol, they could have taken the shooter down and saved lives.  I just see no sense in your post at all.

We've been over this endlessly. A second shooter would have just likely shot more innocents in the confusion, or hesitated for fear of doing so, like the individual who was conceal-carrying during the Gabrielle Giffords shooting. Concealed-carry people are not automatically heroes.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Horrible act. As far as gun control goes, having less gun laws would be better. The more people that have them, the more deterrent their is for this type of incident. Had this guy known that many people could potentially be carrying loaded weapons, maybe he would have reconsidered. It would be great if nobody had guns, that will never happen however. The stricter the law for law abiding citizens, the less protected they are from people who could care less about the law.

Does anyone know how it stopped? Did someone tacks James or something?

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

Mr Khan said:
sperrico87 said:
radishhead said:

http://www.kctv5.com/story/19071381/shooting-at-theater-during-batman-premiere-in-colorado

I just turned on the news and I saw this incident - apparently it's the worst in the USA since a school shooting many years ago (I think), so it's extremely saddening.

Aside from just reporting the story however (which I assume American users know about already), I wondered what your opinions were regarding gun laws. It's impossible to deny that the chances of such a tragedy happening would be reduced if ownership of a gun is illegal without a license (assuming these licenses were very difficult to get, and wouldn't allow a civilian to carry one in public). Is the idea of possessing a gun an outdated idea, or is it still significant in the modern world?

I completely disagree with the premise of your question.  I don't think that just because there is a shooting, that there should be an automatic debate on gun laws and Second Amendment rights.  I see no correlation whatsoever.

Criminals are people who by definition do not abide by laws, so how can you say that law-abiding citizens should have their right to bear arms diminished or taken away because an insane person went on a rampage? 

Better yet, why would you willingly take away the right of people to defend themselves against violent crimes in progress?  If more people in that theatre had a concealed pistol, they could have taken the shooter down and saved lives.  I just see no sense in your post at all.

We've been over this endlessly. A second shooter would have just likely shot more innocents in the confusion, or hesitated for fear of doing so, like the individual who was conceal-carrying during the Gabrielle Giffords shooting. Concealed-carry people are not automatically heroes.

For me, (and feel free to disagree), I always look at questions like this and I ask if they can be solved with more freedom instead of less.  You don't believe it to be the case that concealed carriers would have been able to stop the massacre before it began, or at least stopped it before 14 fatalities and 50 injuries, and I disagree.  I think it might have made a huge difference.  I'm not saying that concealed-carriers are automatically heroes, but I just don't see how a few good law-abiding carriers couldn't have made a difference.