By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can X360/PS3 reach 100 million sold units?

Which console(s) will reach 100 million?

All three consoles. 45 8.93%

Wii and PS3 148 29.37%

Wii and X360 18 3.57%

PS3 and X360 5 0.99%

Wii only 197 39.09%

PS3 only 44 8.73%

X360 only 10 1.98%

See results 37 7.34%

Total:504

What the title says.

The 3rd place console, PS3, is at 65m. By the beginning of 2014 it's not hard to see it at 85m, especially with then incoming remodel/price cut. If it keeps selling for some time after the PS4 launches, it's actually very possible that it will reach 100 million.

X360 sales depend more on NA, which is quicker to switch consoles I think, so it may be a bit harder. But MS hasn't dropped te price for ages. If they drop X360 and Kinect prices, try to push as many consoles as possible during the holiday season, and manage to keep the console alive for long they may also reach it.

Could all three consoles end up over 100 million? That would be quite a feat.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Around the Network

Honestly, I don't think they will - but I'll probably be proven wrong

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Wii will get there.

PS3, I think it has a fair chance. PS2 sold 50m+ after PS3 launch. I know PS3 is not the beast PS2 was, but if it manages to sell 15m after PS4 hits then they'll probably manage.

X360, it depends on whether MS want to support it for long or switch quickly to X720. As I said, its sales depend more on NA and UK, which are quicker to switch consoles than developing nations where Sony is stronger. If I had to bet, I'd say it'll end up slightly behind 100m, but I don't discard other scenarios.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

honestly its a bit tough for either xbox or ps3 to hit 100 million. in the past 5 years the console sold 65m, which is amazing but it still has 35 million to go and just probably one holiday season when it is the "current" generation console on the market from playstation. lets say by the end of the year it sells another 10 million then it will be at 75 million. 25m to go. and the ps4 and xbox 780 or what ever its called will be around the corner. i think the ps3 would have a good 2013 from the line up it has (beyond two souls, god of war, the last of us) so i think it can sell another 8-10 million that year that would leave it for about 15 - 17 m to go, which is a bit tough with next gen consoles released. depends on emerging markets and the price tag it reaches. if it reaches 100 $ it is considered a good deal for a blueray player with a good library of games. and we still have to see the effect of the PSN on old gen consoles, maybe indie games will help keep them alive for more than we thought possible?

I can't wait to see what happens to ps3 sales after they launch the new slim which is going to have a 16gb model. Will it be $100? it's still a long way from 100mill but maybe awhile after the next gen we'll see it claw it's way it

My reasoning for the new slim 16gb being $100 is that the last slim dropped the cost by $100 and with a small hard drive could knock another $50 so that would make the now $250 price go down to $100. Tho it probably won't happen lol

Around the Network

Not likely.

I think they'll be at about 75 million after the holidays. Assuming they launch new consoles next year, its going to be hard to do another 25 million with little support.

However, I think MS has more to gain by continuing support of the 360 than Sony with the PS3. Solely because of Gold subscribers.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Wii: Yes
PS3: No
X360: No

All 3 consoles. Ultimately it will end up
1. PS3
2/3 wii Xbox360 to close to call

All bow to me the VGChartz current reigning 3DS prediction champion 

Bet with tbone51: Pokeon X & pokemon Y will not sell more than 8 million in 2013

jarrod said:The Xbox360 or ps3 will not sell more than 75million units

July 2009 daveJ saidTrue the wii has a large lead now but by 2017 the most likely result will be 1. ps3 2. xbox360 3. wii <-- wii's successor launched in 2011 effectively killing sales of the wii

2009 daveJ said: The wii will not break the 50% marketshare barrier it will go below the 40% marketshare barrier though in the future. VGChartz members: Impossible, youre an idiot that knows nothing about sales

No. Not going to realistically happen. Only Wii will hit 100m.

If they killed the price (and any profit) and sold them for like $50 before their next-gen counterparts launch, then it would be possible; but that is not going to happen.

I think Wii is dead in the water and Wii U will be the wave that sinks it. If Sony and MS drop prices and do lots of bundles I think it's possible they both could pass 100m. If MS dropped the Kinect bundle to $149.99 and packed in 2 or 3 games I could see it going very strong for at least another year.