By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Super Slim exists, and here it is! Update2: Comparison PS3 vs PS3 Slim vs PS3 Super Slim

Spedfrom said:
No. It is emulation. Do a quick Google search.

Sony just chose not to make it available for disc owners, which hurts me quite a bit.

No. PS2 PSN games are recompiled to use some libraries that emulate the GS (GPU).

Around the Network
ethomaz said:
Spedfrom said:
No. It is emulation. Do a quick Google search.

Sony just chose not to make it available for disc owners, which hurts me quite a bit.

No. PS2 PSN games are recompiled to use some libraries that emulate the GS (GPU).

Could you give me a link where that is explained? I might have gone to the wrong sources.

nice, looks more like the PS2 slim.

SamuelRSmith said:
brendude13 said:

Doesn't make any sense to me, from what I've heard, a game either has to be ported, emulated or possibly a middle ground between those two.

If "recompiling" is so easy and low-level, then couldn't they just tweak the emulator a little more so the PS3 can play the exact PS2 version?

"Recompiling" isn't the exact term. Porting is a far better word for this situation.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-ps2-classics-on-ps3 

Just found this on Eurogamer, sheds some light on PS2 backwards compatibility. Apparently the PS2 classics are fully emulated.

brendude13 said:
SamuelRSmith said:
brendude13 said:

Doesn't make any sense to me, from what I've heard, a game either has to be ported, emulated or possibly a middle ground between those two.

If "recompiling" is so easy and low-level, then couldn't they just tweak the emulator a little more so the PS3 can play the exact PS2 version?

"Recompiling" isn't the exact term. Porting is a far better word for this situation.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-ps2-classics-on-ps3 

Just found this on Eurogamer, sheds some light on PS2 backwards compatibility. Apparently the PS2 classics are fully emulated.

We knew this already, an emulator is just a recompiler.  Samuel mentioned that porting would a better term as publisher/Sony are using game specific hacks on a base emulator to get games working.  Some hacks can be used on multiple games especially if they use the same game engine.  This is essentially why there's so few games on PSN and why they just can't enable the emulator for every game as the majority of games would either, not run, or run very slowly.

Around the Network

So this would make the phat PS3 now morbidly obese PS3 the slim will the phat and the new one the slim

The current PS3 slim is the prettiest PS along with the original PSX.

And one of the best looking consoles along with the SNES and the Dreamcast.

Yes i said it.

Europe has 74 ps2 classics?! What? The US only has 22.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

darkknightkryta said:

We knew this already, an emulator is just a recompiler.  Samuel mentioned that porting would a better term as publisher/Sony are using game specific hacks on a base emulator to get games working.  Some hacks can be used on multiple games especially if they use the same game engine.  This is essentially why there's so few games on PSN and why they just can't enable the emulator for every game as the majority of games would either, not run, or run very slowly.

So it's an emulator that ports the game?

brendude13 said:
darkknightkryta said:

So it's an emulator that ports the game?

Well emulators generally "ports the game", it's just emulators do it in real-time and do it for a majority of games.  In these PS2 PSN games case, it's doing it for a minority of the games, or even just one.  It's even possible each game has its own tailored emulator.  So in the non complicated way, yes it is.