By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Super Slim exists, and here it is! Update2: Comparison PS3 vs PS3 Slim vs PS3 Super Slim

brendude13 said:

Doesn't make any sense to me, from what I've heard, a game either has to be ported, emulated or possibly a middle ground between those two.

If "recompiling" is so easy and low-level, then couldn't they just tweak the emulator a little more so the PS3 can play the exact PS2 version?

"Recompiling" isn't the exact term. Porting is a far better word for this situation.

Around the Network
Rudisha said:
Slimebeast said:

Damn it, did I miss a picture of a penis on VGC?

Anyway, I think the new PS3 slim looks decent but not great. I am happy it doesn't look great because I can feel satisfied with my old slim that I love.

16GB version, now that is crazy. Some games demand a 8GB install. Are you supposed to only play 1-2 games at a time? That would suck.

It's a win for Sony though if they can price it at $149. That's unbelievably cheap for a PS3 and a Must Have for casuals who don' own a PS3 yet.

what game need 8g?

DC Universe demanded 17GB last I checked.

4 ≈ One

I doubt sony would release a 16gb $149 ps3.. they will probably release a $199 redesigned slim model for this fall.. and push a heft harddrive along with it, it would not be.. smart of them to kill their potential psn sales because they are limiting the HDD capacity for their own console in the future.. especially considering how cheap it seems to be to have a large HDD..

Now, what would make sense is if they decide to really push gaikai and they start streaming PS3/PS2/PS1 games to this new ps3.. and it would need little to no HDD space, so it would be 16GB, and all people would need would be a playstation plus account, or.. they could purchase the games on gaikai for a cheaper price.. than on retail.. while still being able to buy retail games.. and launch this streaming product for 149.. that would make a lot more sense.. but a 16gb HDD would still be stupid imo

mM
SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
i dont think i've ever seen an install bigger than 10GB. downloading digital games however could take a shit load of space. infamous 2 took 15GB alone and LBP2 and Motorstorm were around 6-7GB i think.

those are installs for the digital versions you probably received through PS+

ofcourse the disc versions have far smaller installs and that's what is more important for the potential 16GB PS3 buyers, who probably aren't too interested in digital distribution (excluding those people that might pick up the 16GB for the lower price and then install a HDD of their choice)

SamuelRSmith said:
brendude13 said:

Doesn't make any sense to me, from what I've heard, a game either has to be ported, emulated or possibly a middle ground between those two.

If "recompiling" is so easy and low-level, then couldn't they just tweak the emulator a little more so the PS3 can play the exact PS2 version?

"Recompiling" isn't the exact term. Porting is a far better word for this situation.

Ahh OK, sorry for the confusion, you used a lot of terms I've never heard before. I'm still not sure how they do it so quickly and easily though, at the prices they're selling the game at, they wouldn't make a profit if the game was in any way difficult to port.

I just found out that the 80gb NTSC PS3 still had the PS2 GPU but emulated the CPU, so they were fairly close all the way back in 2008.

I don't think they would release a 16gb version, install sizes caused mayhem on the original 20gb version, they should go with at least a 60gb hard drive.

Around the Network

Well thats interesting.

Im guessing $199.

But I dont believe for one second there is a 16 gb version. 360 had 20 gigs.....in 2005. And with all the growing emphasis on online content, Id be very surprised to see Sony take this route.

Unless its pulling a 4 gb 360 to appeal to non gamer casuals.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
Well thats interesting.

Im guessing $199.

But I dont believe for one second there is a 16 gb version. 360 had 20 gigs.....in 2005. And with all the growing emphasis on online content, Id be very surprised to see Sony take this route.

Unless its pulling a 4 gb 360 to appeal to non gamer casuals.

thats why theres other models. if you want more space get one of them. or you could just get the 16GB model and change the HDD

Phat is best looking by far. Slim and slimmer are about equally bland, but for differnt reasons. Though the top slider for disc access does give slimmer a cheap and fragile look. A pity they couldn't preserve the robust "feel" that the phat and slim1 both have.

Cross fingers that my phat lasts the distance and never needs replacing, just like my PS2. I wonder if they'll continue to make slim1: slim1 320GB $249; slim2:160GB $199

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

It's probably been mentioned but I suspect the "16gb" model is a typo and it's actually a 160gb model. Just makes more sense given the PS3 ecosystem that really demands mandatory HDD.

Homeroids said:
It's probably been mentioned but I suspect the "16gb" model is a typo and it's actually a 160gb model. Just makes more sense given the PS3 ecosystem that really demands mandatory HDD.

160GB HDDs cost almost the same as 250GB ones, because production for 160GB ones is being faded out, so such a model couldn't differ much from the 250GB model in price

16GB is usually enough to play several games at a time and as such a model would be aimed at "casual" gamers (and at people that want to pay less and put in a HDD of their choice) they probably won't run out of space so soon