By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Super Slim exists, and here it is! Update2: Comparison PS3 vs PS3 Slim vs PS3 Super Slim

If it have a new and faster Blu-ray drive... I will buy it too.

Around the Network
drkohler said:
greenmedic88 said:

160GB HDDs are uncommon currently.

Like ALL the plain PS3s that are currently being sold? I'm sure Sony still has plenty of those in the queue.

Realize that Hitachi, or Samsung or Seagate or whoever is the OEM provider is most likely only producing 160GB HDDs for SCE on order if they haven't stopped producing them already and SCE is currently only using existing stock. 

Nobody is configuring laptops with those drives and the consumer market for 160GB HDDs is virtually non-existent. 

adriane23 said:
A 16GB model isn't too far fetched considering the cost of large HDD's is pretty low nowadays. There isn't any point in offering a large HDD for a budget model. I got a 1TB HDD for $100.00 about 3-4 months ago.

I agree. The HDD is currently the most expensive component in the PS3, possibly only matched by the slot loading BD drive, so eliminating that and replacing it with less than $10 worth of NAND flash memory would make the PS3 a lot cheaper to produce. 

It becomes really evident when you pay about $100 for a larger HDD and compare that with a console that currently only retails for $249.

Wow! that's a sexy looking machine :D

I've been saying this for sometime now that Sony should/will release a new PS3 model to help counter the Wii-U launch. Looks like I'm right. A cheaper price point, bellow $200, will surely help it sell well. Plus releasing a bunch of planitum/the best/budget versions of the best ps3 games along with the new slim model should help it pull ahead significantly ahead of every other console.

Around the Network
greenmedic88 said:

Realize that Hitachi, or Samsung or Seagate or whoever is the OEM provider is most likely only producing 160GB HDDs for SCE on order if they haven't stopped producing them already and SCE is currently only using existing stock.

I can walk into MediaMarkt and other shops around here and see 160G drives on the shelves.... I'm sure if you look around in your area you'll find them, too. These single platter HDs are the cheapest to manufacture and currently seem to have the highest markup, so shops are selling them. And all manufacturers still have them in the portfolio if you go to their websites. Of course 160G is on the way out but not just yet.

Quite ugly, but this doesn't nullify all the other benefits of slims, lower production, warehousing and shipping costs, and smaller boxes on top of lower costs makes retailers happy twice, allowing them to use shelf space more efficiently.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

This is a really awesome comparison. Looks like the 4000 series will return in some ways to the original style of the PS3. I like it.

SamuelRSmith said:
brendude13 said:
SamuelRSmith said:
Spedfrom said:

You do know there are PS2 games on the PSN store that are exact copies of the original ones and are emulated, right?

Hmm.

It is possible that specific games can be recompiled with little effort to run on the PS3. This is not the same as emulation, and can only be on a case-by-case basis depending on the games that are chosen.

I'm willing to bet dollars for donuts that those games if ripped and burned to disc, could not be run on a modified PS2. Those files will only work on PS3s. If I am right, then they are not running on an emulator.

Recompiled?

Yeah, you take the source code of the original, make a few changes to support the new hardware (usually writing a piece of middleware that changes calls designed for the PS2 hardware into calls for the PS3), and then compile the code so that it's executable on the new machine.

This obviously cannot work for all titles, as the new hardware cannot mimic all of the calls that PS2 software used to make.

Sony have already said that the downloadable titles cannot use save files created using the disc version, this implies that it isn't a pure emulation.

No. It is emulation. Do a quick Google search.

Sony just chose not to make it available for disc owners, which hurts me quite a bit.

Spedfrom said:

No. It is emulation. Do a quick Google search.

Sony just chose not to make it available for disc owners, which hurts me quite a bit.

The PS2 emulator in the PS3 has been hacked, but it doesn't run very well.  Those PS2 games on PSN either have a single emulator which essentially recompiling the game, or the games have been recompiled.