By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 720 will cost $99 with cable TV subscription, predicts Pachter

arcane_chaos said:
I know this is a rumor, but this whole subscription idea sound like a "potential" bad idea: I mean say if the next xbox cost about $200 to make and they sell with a $99 subscription and after a month or two the buyer just stops paying....MS has lost about $70 assuming it was $15 a month like the current deal.(all hypothetical of course)

maybe I just threw out some horrid business analogy...i just don't want so see MS losing money.

I have no facts to back this up but I'm guessing there's some kind of cancellation penalty bound to the deal.

Around the Network

From what i get out of the this, the standard Nextbox will cost considerably more than $99. However, it'll be optional to purchase it for only $99 IF you purchase it with the TV cable service. I imagine come in some sort of bundle Xbox+2 year cable subscription and get a discount on the price of the console. Traditional gamers will still have the ability to purchase the Xbox without a cable subscription. Of course, $99 is just a number. It doesn't have to be $99 (and I suspect it wont actually), it can be any price lower than buying an Xbox individually. I also expect the Nextbox that comes bundled with the cable subscription will be have considerable less features than a standard Xbox.

Sounds like a good plan for me. I play games and I watch TV. Why not combine my console and cable box into one?

happydolphin said:
arcane_chaos said:
I know this is a rumor, but this whole subscription idea sound like a "potential" bad idea: I mean say if the next xbox cost about $200 to make and they sell with a $99 subscription and after a month or two the buyer just stops paying....MS has lost about $70 assuming it was $15 a month like the current deal.(all hypothetical of course)

maybe I just threw out some horrid business analogy...i just don't want so see MS losing money.

I have no facts to back this up but I'm guessing there's some kind of cancellation penalty bound to the deal.

I was thinking of that, but how will they enforce it if the buyer isn't willing to pay? I guess they'd just put it on their card....that or hefty men will start repo-ing Xbox's lol

Requires cable TV subscription? i call BS

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

I doubt that will work. Basic cable is already $60. My digital cable preferred and Internet runs about $150.

Point is not that I pay a lot for TV. Point is there is not enough room in the current price points to add money to make Microsoft money. And I doubt Comcast, Time Warner, Cozx, Suddenlink. Atlantic Broadband, etc. will want to subsidize Microsoft (not to mention the issue of the 10s of millions in the US alone who have satellite through DirectTV or DishNetwork).

Now maybe he is thinking that Microsoft is going to become a cable TV provider. Good luck with getting those franchise agreements.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network

I believe that there will be 3 pricepoints.

1 - Full console price - 499$
2 - 2 year subscription plus 299$
3 - 3 year subscription plus 199$

MS knows not everyone will want to pay a subscription for Xbox Live if they can't provide all the appealing apps available in the US. People would refrain from buying the console so they have to have a sku for those who don't have the internet.

I'm sorry the day this kind of crap happens is the day I will stick to PC gaming.

I buy a console for gaming. I do not want to spend my time watching cable TV on it lol.

I am sure some people will appreciate this, however it is not for me.

I think the 360 has the right balance atm. so don't mess with it too much.

Troll_Whisperer said:
It may be an amazing idea from a business standpoint, but how many core gamers will be interested in getting a TV suscription to be able to play games? I wouldn't be interested in this in the slightest.

If Sony went this route I would move on to Nintendo.

Anyway, it's Pachter, so the chances of this being true are slim.

Fuggin Pachter!!

This is how I feel about Micheal Pachter.

spaceguy said:
Micheal is a idiot, I'm sorry but the $99 dollar deal has went over bad. Also if this was to happen and they force me to choose my tv provider just to game, I will not be buying MS anymore. Sorry but I like to game just to game. I like my smart tv and thats just it. People already have smart TV's and lots of them have sold. WHy do I need a machine if my tv already does it. gaming and tv should be kept seperate and people will feel the same. Lets say they want to do this. What if I want to go to a friends house? or the damn tv goes out. WiiU is starting to look really good if this is the case. You want to have tv at your house, call directv or who ever you want because this is bad for gaming. I game to game, not to do all this sh-t my tv already does. I have last Fm on my tv and all that. My tv has made my Xbox multi media not necessary but does that stop me from gaming and using it for what it is for? no It doesn't. However as much as micheal has been wrong, I highly doubt MS will be that stupid to basically give a ultamatum.

God I would love to be pachter, Just seat around and make up bull sh-t all day. I'm starting to think pachter get told stuff to see people's reaction. So if there is a good reaction then they will go wtih it.

As if this will be the only way to get a Xbox 3. This might be ONE option to get it and it is a pretty good deal if you want to your cable TV sunscription. Of course the console will be sold seperately as well. And of course it will have multimedia functions as well and rightfully so!

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

arcane_chaos said:

you can get a smartphone for 0 bucks if you pay 30 bucks per month for the next two years or something like that. what if you stop paying after two months? i would say that is nothing else and i didn't know these providers have problems with this model.

@topic if i could get that in germany as xbox + sky package i would maybe do it but i think i will buy the next xbox traditionally for the full price at release without tv subscription.