By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 720 will cost $99 with cable TV subscription, predicts Pachter

I will repeat ... I cannot see what is in this for the cable companies. That is where this idea fails to make sense.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network

I'm gonna be bold here and say that Pachter is wrong.

Signature goes here!

mike_intellivision said:
I will repeat ... I cannot see what is in this for the cable companies. That is where this idea fails to make sense.

Mike from Morgantown

Isn't it obvious? M$ would more than likely subsidise the money, they would gain in viewership anyway and get money from companys from ads. The more people are watching, the more the ads cost to put on a network at whatever time slot. They'd also likely gain subscribers after/if they stop using the service on the next box.

ironmanDX said:
mike_intellivision said:

Mike from Morgantown

Isn't it obvious? M$ would more than likely subsidise the money, they would gain in viewership anyway and get money from companys from ads. The more people are watching, the more the ads cost to put on a network at whatever time slot. They'd also likely gain subscribers after/if they stop using the service on the next box.

With what is Microsoft going to subsidize them?  MS would be charging less for its product under this model, hoping to make up the revenues from monies flowing from the content providers. 

However, the content providers are slowly adopting closed gate philosophies, making "cutting the cord" difficult. For example, MS talks about ESPN on Xbox 360. But you need an XBLA Gold subscription plus access to an ISP that offers ESPN3.  In other words, you are not getting anything for free.  Likewise, six months ago, Starz pulled all movies it controlled distribution off of Netflix because it was cutting into the subscriptions to Starz.  

This model just doe not make sense to me. 

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

DirtyP2002 said:
spaceguy said:
Micheal is a idiot, I'm sorry but the $99 dollar deal has went over bad. Also if this was to happen and they force me to choose my tv provider just to game, I will not be buying MS anymore. Sorry but I like to game just to game. I like my smart tv and thats just it. People already have smart TV's and lots of them have sold. WHy do I need a machine if my tv already does it. gaming and tv should be kept seperate and people will feel the same. Lets say they want to do this. What if I want to go to a friends house? or the damn tv goes out. WiiU is starting to look really good if this is the case. You want to have tv at your house, call directv or who ever you want because this is bad for gaming. I game to game, not to do all this sh-t my tv already does. I have last Fm on my tv and all that. My tv has made my Xbox multi media not necessary but does that stop me from gaming and using it for what it is for? no It doesn't. However as much as micheal has been wrong, I highly doubt MS will be that stupid to basically give a ultamatum.

God I would love to be pachter, Just seat around and make up bull sh-t all day. I'm starting to think pachter get told stuff to see people's reaction. So if there is a good reaction then they will go wtih it.

As if this will be the only way to get a Xbox 3. This might be ONE option to get it and it is a pretty good deal if you want to your cable TV sunscription. Of course the console will be sold seperately as well. And of course it will have multimedia functions as well and rightfully so!

Wait a min. Micheal is that you? Hey everyone Micheal is on VG. Yo Micheal chill bro, it's all good. This is a dumb idea and will not happen. As much as you think your little sketch is cool, it's not. the more and more people like you push away from gaming the more I think you are truly not a gamer. TV is nice but apparently you can't afford whats out now or you need another sorce for some ungodly reason. Sorry you don't have TV bro. Lucky you have Internet.  Be happy you got that. However Xbox will come soon enough but a deal with a subscription is not going to happen. Maybe one day you will be able to watch HBO on a 55" samsung like me. Have a good one.

Oh you know what time it is.

Around the Network

lol Microsoft has been turning into a Direct TV like company rather than a gaming company for quite some time. I believe they will do the subscription based program. Leave it to the American brand to be out of touch (LOL). Non-gamers wont fall for the bull because if they are going to use it some of the time and they will give a shit about monthly payments. The only gamers who will pay for the monthly payments are the COD/ Halo fanatics. If Microsoft doesn't do this I will truly be surprised.

€dit: forget it

They might as well sell them through rent a center and rip off the poor people.

Pachter you really do make me laugh. I call bollocks on this predition.