By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 720 will cost $99 with cable TV subscription, predicts Pachter

So what will it cost for those of us who don't do cable TV?

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Around the Network

If it also comes with a mini fridge where I can store my Red Bulls this is a definitive day 1 purchase.

We already get something similar in Australia, shouldn't have been that shocking really.... We have to pay $19 a month for pay tv which is usually $40+ a month and it acts as a dvr on top. It doesn't take away from the gold subscription fees though I don't think. I pay yearly not monthly so I wouldn't know.

I was always expected this to happen with the current 360 when it was modified as the PVR/Entertainment system so I am not surpised if something along those lines is being considered.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.

You dummies, the $99 + Cable sub will be an option, not mandatory. Obviously MS understands that some gamers already have a cable subscription and some gamers don't want one at all.

Just like with an iPhone you can choose to buy it separate for full price.

Around the Network
spaceguy said:
Micheal is a idiot, I'm sorry but the $99 dollar deal has went over bad. Also if this was to happen and they force me to choose my tv provider just to game, I will not be buying MS anymore. Sorry but I like to game just to game. I like my smart tv and thats just it. People already have smart TV's and lots of them have sold. WHy do I need a machine if my tv already does it. gaming and tv should be kept seperate and people will feel the same. Lets say they want to do this. What if I want to go to a friends house? or the damn tv goes out. WiiU is starting to look really good if this is the case. You want to have tv at your house, call directv or who ever you want because this is bad for gaming. I game to game, not to do all this sh-t my tv already does. I have last Fm on my tv and all that. My tv has made my Xbox multi media not necessary but does that stop me from gaming and using it for what it is for? no It doesn't. However as much as micheal has been wrong, I highly doubt MS will be that stupid to basically give a ultamatum.

God I would love to be pachter, Just seat around and make up bull sh-t all day. I'm starting to think pachter get told stuff to see people's reaction. So if there is a good reaction then they will go wtih it.

so they expand the deal to more retailers cause it doesn't do well? How about some evidence for that.

I think this is great. I hate my set top boxes and would love to use my xbox instead of one.

Currently with my cable plane i pay an extra 15 dollars a month for my HD DVR, I am sure there is a way for ms to partner with current cable companies to offer the xbox as a set top box and pay 15 a month for that instead of the shitty box i have. So there would be no need for ms to become a cable company, rather they could make the set top box and get a cut of the fee. Not sure what other companies charge per box, and for hd and dvr boxes but there is space in there for some profit for ms.

Slimebeast said:

You dummies, the $99 + Cable sub will be an option, not mandatory. Obviously MS understands that some gamers already have a cable subscription and some gamers don't want one at all.

Have people not understood this? I posted assuming everyone wasn't stupid, in turn, quite possibly proving that myself, could be stupid. :P

i don't like cable, it's waste of money imo. but i think this could work well for the right people. i mean, if you wanted that subscription and it subsidized your console that's not a bad deal at all.

a $300 subsidy over 2 years is $12.50 a month btw.

arcane_chaos said:
happydolphin said:
arcane_chaos said:
I know this is a rumor, but this whole subscription idea sound like a "potential" bad idea: I mean say if the next xbox cost about $200 to make and they sell with a $99 subscription and after a month or two the buyer just stops paying....MS has lost about $70 assuming it was $15 a month like the current deal.(all hypothetical of course)

maybe I just threw out some horrid business analogy...i just don't want so see MS losing money.

I have no facts to back this up but I'm guessing there's some kind of cancellation penalty bound to the deal.

I was thinking of that, but how will they enforce it if the buyer isn't willing to pay? I guess they'd just put it on their card....that or hefty men will start repo-ing Xbox's lol

Actually they would probably do what most businesses would do to ensure they recieve their money. There would likely be a large penalty fee for opting out of the subscription before your contract expires. If the customer didn't pay they would likely send the bill multiple times and if customer still does not pay they would probably have some type of insurance that covers them for losses. The customer likely gets turned over to a Collections agency where they will be hounded every day to pay their obligations to collections.

Slimebeast said:

This.

MS would be idiots to not give the consumer options or else they are just pissing off potential customers. Likely the option will be $99 with subscription (contract for maybe say 2 years as example). OR the customer can just pay full price for console without any subscription obligation, but can choose to do so once they own the console. Who knows what full price will be...could be $300....could be $400. Thats just speculation at this point.