Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3DS is doomed and here's why

Tagged games:

Is 3DS d0m3d around your area, too?

Yes. 24 19.05%

No. 85 67.46%

See results. 17 13.49%

Total:126
Galaki said:

When taking my 3DS with me to and from work. 1 of which is during rush hour, in public transit.By that, I would have streetpassed a lot of people if the 3DS were actually popular.I also hardly ever see people playing on a 3DS other than small children.Months ago, I would streetpass at least 1 person per day to/from work.So, I could only conclude, base on my personal experience, that, the 3DS is doomed to gather dust at home.Streetpass features failed hard on getting people to carry their 3DS on the go. People would rather play shooting birds on their iPad Nanos than on a 3DS.

To be fair, I also don't see anyone carrying a Vita. So, it's as much doomed as the 3DS is around here.

Well... it depends of where you live and where have you been walking. It´s not, in any sense, an indication that the 3DS is dooming, as you say with the title of this thread - Let´s consider that the 3DS is doomed for YOU, then.

I live in Sao Paulo, Brazil - with a population of 20 million people, but in a country where videogames don´t sell as well in USA, Europe or Japan just because they´re a lot more expensive for us. I spent around 2 hours a day during weekdays commuting in subway, through 3 different lines. I get Streetpasses every day, sometimes I get only one, but sometimes I get as much as eight, I even got Streetpasses at 05h50 a.m.! It surprises me considering that videogame market in Brazil is not as intense as in the northern Hemisphere countries.

Then there is the Meetup community. We have an average of 2 meetings every month (sometimes 3). In our last meeting there were around 50 people, while the previous one we had around than 140 people. Some fan blogs and shops also schedule monthly meetings. I bought my 3DS in last December and I alrealdy have a total of 1053 Streetpasses thanks to those meetings. 3DS is simply booming here. 

I´m not sure how it is in Japan, London or NY, but I bet it´s easier to get tags in these cities than in Sao Paulo, because videogames sell a lot better there than here.

As for the market, the sales numbers speak for themselves. With good game lineups, it probably will continue to sell well several months to come.

Around the Network
Panama said:
Streetpass seems to be a a feature purely designed for the Japanese. I've only seen one person carry a 3ds in public here in Sydney yet it's the fastest selling console in the country. I'm pretty sure more people play these devices at home than some might believe.

Same here. i hardly see people playing handhelds in public in Sao Paulo, most of my friends only play them at home or in meetings (but always carry them when going to work or college for Streetpassing). Once in a while I see someone in the subway with a PSP/DS/3DS/Tablet, but it´s not common. In our city there´s another point that prevent people to play in public: street crime . Brazil has high rates of street crime compared to Australia/USA/Japan/Europe so people are afraid of using any devices in public except cell phones

happydolphin said:
BasilZero said:

Exchange in game data and items? Like automatically or searching for people to exchange o.O? (Like pokemon multiplayer is?)

Like, there's this free app that comes with the 3DS called Mii Plaza where you can play games like Find Mii, it's a quest rpg using Miis.

When you meet a person with a 3DS, his Mii gets automatically greeted to your Mii and you can choose to use him as an adventurer to progress in your quest.

I haven't seen much more street pass use in other games but at least there's one example of how it's used. So yeah I wouldn't be surprised if it's used in the upcoming 3DS pokemon game :)

Actually, a lot of 3DS games use streetpass: Kid Icarus/RE:Revelations (for getting weapons), Mario Tennis (coins), DoA Dimensions (battles), SFIV (figure battles), Nintendogs+cats (gifts), Mario Kart/Ridge Racer (time challenges) etc etc. 3DS Sound uses it to track songs and artists. Some games use it in lame ways but others have quite interesting features.

rogermoore said:

Actually, a lot of 3DS games use streetpass: Kid Icarus/RE:Revelations (for getting weapons), Mario Tennis (coins), DoA Dimensions (battles), SFIV (figure battles), Nintendogs+cats (gifts), Mario Kart/Ridge Racer (time challenges) etc etc. 3DS Sound uses it to track songs and artists. Some games use it in lame ways but others have quite interesting features.

Cool. I own SFIV but never saw that in action because I live in a really non-populated area. I got 2 hits in MiiPlaza :)

NintendoPie said:
oniyide said:
Soriku said:
Who plays their handhelds on the go anyway?

I only play my handhelds on the go, why the hell would i play them at home unless its a REALLY good game ala KH BBS

Which most games on Handhelds are good.... :3

im not saying they are not good, they are, but 9 out of ten times there is usually a console equivalent and i own that console version, so i never see the need to strain my retinas at home, not when i have a TV to do so

Around the Network

Terrible, just terrible. It's not doomed guys just get out of this area lol

happydolphin said:
AndrewWK said:
oniyide said:
AndrewWK said:

You think Super Mario is superior to angry birds? I am not defending Angry birds, but Super Mario is just as simple.

And don´t tell me you don´t think it is funny when a grown up plays 3DS. This is a toy, just like an action figure, and if you look at the games line up most of the titles are suited for kids. Super Mario, Kid Icarus, Mario cart, Nintendogs and many more.

yeah because you cant play RE, Metal Gear, Tales of, Super Street Fighter etc on 3ds. The ignorance is funny

I do not understand your statement.

He's saying you're cherrypicking, and I'll add, kind of proving UnitSmiley's original point.

thanks for saving me the trouble

Soriku said:
oniyide said:
NintendoPie said:
oniyide said:
Soriku said:
Who plays their handhelds on the go anyway?

I only play my handhelds on the go, why the hell would i play them at home unless its a REALLY good game ala KH BBS

Which most games on Handhelds are good.... :3

im not saying they are not good, they are, but 9 out of ten times there is usually a console equivalent and i own that console version, so i never see the need to strain my retinas at home, not when i have a TV to do so

I play handhelds because they have good games on them not available on consoles. Could care less about portability personally. 9 times out of 10 (more like 10 times out of 10) there's no console equivalent for any handheld games I play.

thats cool, but i honestly cant say the same for me. Mario Kart 7, Mario 3d land, Uncharted, Ninja gaiden, Gravity Rush are games i have bought recently and the only one that i feel that really has no console equilavent is Gravity Rush, which im about to play right now because im a few thousand feet in the air as i type this and not much to do

oniyide said:

To each their own! I enjoy playing my HandHeld more currently.

Galaki said:

When taking my 3DS with me to and from work. 1 of which is during rush hour, in public transit.

By that, I would have streetpassed a lot of people if the 3DS were actually popular.

I also hardly ever see people playing on a 3DS other than small children.

Months ago, I would streetpass at least 1 person per day to/from work.

So, I could only conclude, base on my personal experience, that, the 3DS is doomed to gather dust at home.

Streetpass features failed hard on getting people to carry their 3DS on the go. People would rather play shooting birds on their iPad Nanos than on a 3DS.

To be fair, I also don't see anyone carrying a Vita. So, it's as much doomed as the 3DS is around here.

i am still having an average of 6 peopel a day with peak of 13/15 during weekends...

I have never seen any vita ever...

Switch!!!